Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Creating Partitions
Operating Systems AIX Creating Partitions Post 302844957 by rbatte1 on Tuesday 20th of August 2013 12:12:05 PM
Old 08-20-2013
I would be concerned that you are setting yourself up for a crash running an LPAR with a single disk, even if they are on separate controllers. You have no protection against disk failure in that set-up, so I would suggest that your server is not really capable of supporting more than a simple whole server.

Consider a disk failure, LPAR is down, end of. You are in a DR situation. Smilie Is that acceptable? Protecting yourself involves spending money somewhere, I'm afraid. Do you have any external (SAN) storage available? Of course, you would need a method to connect to the SAN then..... Smilie

Other things to consider are ethernet cards. Do you have enough available for two LPARs? You would need at least two for each, one public, one management/data backup LAN etc. There is lots to consider before just launching yourself into running too much on a low-spec server.

I hope that this gives you something to think on. Feel free to come back with more questions though.

Robin
Liverpool/Blackburn
UK

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

raw partitions

i want to know, how do i to create a rwa partttions in unixware 7 wit raid 5 best regards felix arteaga (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: farteaga
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

partitions

HI. i installed solaris on a x86 machine and i only partition for 4 gig when it suppose to be 8. i only using 4 gig right now how can i start using the other four. please help, thanks in advance Meeh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: souldier
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

help needed with creating challenging bash script with creating directories

Hi, Can someone help me with creating a bash shell script. I need to create a script that gets a positive number n as an argument. The script must create n directories in the current directory with names like map_1, map_2 etcetera. Each directory must be contained within its predecessor. So... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: I-1
7 Replies

4. AIX

Logical Partitions?

I'm trying to find out how many logical partitions our AIX box has. I'm running the command: topas -C and nothing is showing up. Is it safe to say that there is only one LPAR, which is what AIX is installed on? Move to AIX - jim mc (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: NycUnxer
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Partitions

Hello masters, Actually, i am user of Ubuntu, but I want to use Debian too. I have a computer with a product key for w7 so i will use too, only for games... The structure I have thought is the next with 1TiB of capacity. Primary: 50 GB NTFS for W7 Extended: Logical: 20 GB FAT32... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: albertogarcia
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Partitions.

Hi All, My colleague says . On some boxes we have /var/,/opt are inside root and on some they are not on root they are separately. So please any one explain me what actually the difference is. Thanks is Advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rama krishna
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Create new partitions

Hello, Can someone tell me why should i do to resolve this problem? I cant creat the news partitions!! # /etc/init.d/volmgt start volume management starting. # format Searching for disks...done AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS: 0. c0d0 <DEFAULT cyl 1955 alt 2 hd 255 sec 63> ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: herbich1985
5 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Creating a .profile, displaying system variables, and creating an alias

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Here is what I am supposed to do, word for word from my assignment page: 1. Create/modify and print a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jagst3r21
2 Replies

9. Red Hat

Please tell me how to resize the partitions

It is not allowing me to create a new partition...... I know that there are no free sectors available.... I want to RESIZE the partitions which are already created. Please tell me how to resize the partitions.....Don't tell me that we can resize through parted command.... please tell me all... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vamshigvk475
2 Replies

10. Red Hat

GPT Partitions

(Don't you hate being on holiday and being the only IT person in the family?) Got a wonderful thanksgiving surprise .. dead windows-8 laptop with "important" unbacked-up data. No worries, I have my my fedora labtop and a magical SATA to USB converter. Plugged in the drive, and ... can't mount... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: derekludwig
4 Replies
st_san_safe(5)							     OBSOLETED							    st_san_safe(5)

NAME
st_san_safe - determine whether access to tape device special files without the no-rewind-on-close option is allowed (OBSOLETED) VALUES
Failsafe Default Allowed values Recommended values or DESCRIPTION
Note: this tunable is obsoleted and has been renamed to beginning with release HP-UX 11i v3. This tunable notifies the tape driver whether it should allow access to device special files without the no-rewind-on-close option. When this tunable is on the tape driver will fail any open on a tape device special file without the no-rewind-on-close option (that is, or with a status of The tunable allows the safe sharing of tape devices in SAN tape backup solution configurations. The disabling of device special files without no-rewind-on-close in a SAN tape backup solution configuration prevents the accidental sending of a rewind command on close from HP-UX systems via standard tape commands like which would corrupt a backup in process. Who Is Expected to Change This Tunable? Anyone. Restrictions on Changing Changes to this tunable take effect immediately. When Should the Tunable Be Turned On? This tunable should be turned on if the system is going to be used in a SAN tape backup solution configuration. What Are the Side Effects of Turning the Tunable On? The tape driver will fail any open to a tape device special file that does not have the no-rewind-on-close option with a status of This behavior prevents the usage of any tape device special file without the no-rewind-on-close option. When Should the Tunable Be Turned Off? This tunable should be turned off if the system is not part of a SAN tape backup solution configuration or the system utilizes will not function unless it has access to device special files without the no-rewind-on-close option. What Are the Side Effects of Turning the Tunable Off? A rewind may be issued from this system accidentally on close possibly corrupting a backup being issued from another system on the SAN. What Other Tunables Should Be Changed at the Same Time? None. WARNINGS
All HP-UX kernel tunable parameters are release specific. This parameter may be removed or have its meaning changed in future releases of HP-UX. Installation of optional kernel software, from HP or other vendors, may cause changes to tunable parameter values. After installation, some tunable parameters may no longer be at the default or recommended values. For information about the effects of installation on tun- able values, consult the documentation for the kernel software being installed. For information about optional kernel software that was factory installed on your system, see at AUTHOR
was developed by Hewlett-Packard. SEE ALSO
norewind_close_disabled(5), scsi_tape(7), scsimgr_estape(7). Tunable Kernel Parameters st_san_safe(5)