Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk match whole word using a variable Post 302844887 by Jotne on Tuesday 20th of August 2013 08:33:47 AM
Old 08-20-2013
I do suggest you post your input file, how you like to output to be and how to get there.
This way we can more understand what you are doing.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to match a exact word in a variable ????

Hi All, Str="online maintenance" if then perform some action I know the above comparison is wrong ..... Actually I am very new to this solaris.. I want to check for online in a variable and perform some action based on that How can I do it? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaysachin
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question on awk for finding the column number using a match word

Hi Guys, Please help me out in my situation of writing a shell script Exampl:I have a output like asnapply 1 2 3 apply_server=1 apply_schema=ASN asnapply 1 2 3 apply_server=2 apply_schema=ASN Now i need output like asnacmd applysever=1 applyschema=ASN stop asnacmd applysever=2... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: mallak
16 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substituting a word by different word in variable

Hello Exprets, I have a requirement where i have to subtitue a word with another word. $eachline| sed 's/*$//' a) $eachline will hold a value a path for example user/oracle/Test_admin/myfolder/bakup/part_bkptemp_part_bkp_repeated/list.txt b) $eachline| sed 's/*$//' will give me the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aks_1902
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match exact Variable in Awk

I want to match exact string stored in Variable INO and print next two lines. I have written below code which partially matches: awk '/\'$VAR'/{getline; getline; print}' Will be thankful , if somebody can help in to resolve this problem. Please view this code tag video for how to use... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitj
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print a word after a match

Hi all, I have the below line: 08 03 * * 1-5 XXXXXXXXXXXXX -ENVI LDNFOUAT10 -EXE xxxxxxxx -CONFIG \${xxxxx} -SUBCLASS RESET -START -EXTRAAPPARGS \" -env 38LDNFOUAT10 \" >> /tmp/SRRC_xxxxxxx_start.log.`/usr/bin/date +\%Y\%m\%d` 2>&1 I want to print just one word after the string "-env", in... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cvg
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk match shell variable that contains special characters?

How to match a shell variable that contains parenthesis (and other special characters like "!") file.txt contains: Charles Dickens Matthew Lewis (writer) name="Matthew Lewis (writer)"; awk -v na="$name" ' $0 ~ na' file.txt Ideally this would match $name in file.txt (in this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mid Ocean
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to update file based on partial match in field1 and exact match in field2

I am trying to create a cronjob that will run on startup that will look at a list.txt file to see if there is a later version of a database using database.txt as the source. The matching lines are written to output. $1 in database.txt will be in list.txt as a partial match. $2 of database.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing the first word if the word three match

Dear ALL, I have sample file : IDcentos-forum,bash,linuxCentOS,GNome IEfedora-milis,cli,linuxRedhat,KDE IRfreebsd-milis,aix,unixbsd,pyton required output: centos,bash,linuxCentOS,GNome fedora,cli,linuxRedhat,KDE freebsd,aix,unixbsd,pyton Can you help me pls.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gnulyn
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to print match or non-match and select fields/patterns for non-matches

In the awk below I am trying to output those lines that Match between file1 and file2, those Missing in file1, and those missing in file2. Using each $1,$2,$4,$5 value as a key to match on, that is if those 4 fields are found in both files the match, but if those 4 fields are not found then missing... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to search for a word in column header that fully matches the word not partially in awk?

I have a multicolumn text file with header in the first row like this The headers are stored in an array called . which contains I want to search for each elements of this array from that multicolumn text file. And I am using this awk approach for ii in ${hdr} do gawk -vcol="$ii" -F... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Atta
1 Replies
diction(1)						      General Commands Manual							diction(1)

NAME
diction, explain, suggest - Prints wordy sentences and looks them up in an interactive thesaurus. SYNOPSIS
diction [-fpattern_file] [-k] [-ma] [-me] [-ml] [-ms] [-n] [file...] explain suggest The diction command finds all sentences in an English language document that contain phrases from a database of bad or wordy diction. The explain command is an interactive thesaurus for the English language phrases found by the diction command and only for those phrases. The diction command reads from standard in if no file operand is provided. The suggest command is a synonym for explain. OPTIONS
Names a user-created pattern file to be used in addition to the default file. Passes the -k option to the deroff command. The -k option keeps blocks of text specified nroff by requests or macros; for example, the request. Passes the -ma option to deroff. The -ma option interprets nroff man macros only. Overrides the default nroff -ms macro package. Causes deroff to skip lists; should be used if a docu- ment contains many lists of nonsentences. Overrides the default nroff -ms macro package. Suppresses use of the default file (used with -f). Only the user-created pattern file is used. DESCRIPTION
Each phrase found by the diction command is enclosed in [ ] (brackets). Because diction runs deroff before looking at the text, include formatting header files as part of the input. Before using the explain command, use the diction command to obtain a list of poorly worded phrases. When you use the explain command, the system prompts you for a phrase and responds with a grammatically acceptable alternative. You can continue typing phrases, or you can exit by pressing the End-of-File key sequence. The explain command can also take input redirected from a file. No other command line arguments are valid. NOTES
Use of nonstandard formatting macros may cause incorrect sentence breaks. In particular, diction does not understand -me. FILES
Default pattern file. Thesaurus used by the explain command. SEE ALSO
Commands: deroff(1), nroff(1) diction(1)