Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Gunzip a file in UNIX
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Gunzip a file in UNIX Post 302844871 by gacanepa on Tuesday 20th of August 2013 07:39:38 AM
Old 08-20-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelysethii
Code:
-bash-3.2$ tar xvf rsync-3.0.9.tar.gz
tar: directory checksum error

it also has some error.
Based on this error, I'd say your tarball is corrupted or wasn't properly downloaded (maybe there was a network glitch when you were downloading it). I am not very familiar with Solaris myself, but if you're trying to install rsync, I'd suggest you look into another way of doing it (some kind of repos, maybe? Excuse my ignorance as to the package management system Solaris uses).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Gunzip : unexpected end of file

Hi, While uncompress , gunzip filename.cpio.gz getting the fg. error gunzip: filename.cpio.gz: unexpected end of file. Whats the problem? Size of this .gz file is 660mb . Thanks, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dolly
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

gunzip: unexpected end of file

Ok, I sent several gzipped files using the UNIX "mail" utility without any special settings (bad idea). When I saved these files from my mail and tried to gunzip them, I would get something like the following error: gunzip: wmGrep.mel.gz: unexpected end of file Ok, I messed up. But is it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sicjedi
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using gunzip to decompress .zip file

Hi, I have a zipped Oralce software (linux.x64_11gR1_database.zip) and I need to unzip it. On the Linux server, I only see the gunzip utility listed: $ ls -ltr *zip* -rwxr-xr-x 3 root root 60320 Jan 15 2008 gzip -rwxr-xr-x 3 root root 60320 Jan 15 2008 gunzip Can I use the command... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: syang68
1 Replies

4. Solaris

gunzip problem! unexpected end of file

I've downloaded the tomcat from the link below and ftp to Solaris by ftp in binary mode Ref: Index of /dist/jakarta/tomcat-5/v5.0.30/bin gunzip -c jakarta-tomcat-5.0.30.tar.gz | tar -xvf - gunzip: jakarta-tomcat-5.0.30.tar.gz: unexpected end of file tar: read error: unexpected EOF ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbox
8 Replies

5. AIX

Unable to gunzip .tgz file in AIX6.1

Hi guys, This is my 1st post here. I tried to Google around but failed to get my solution. So I hope you guys could help me. (I have just a basic unix background for 2years so I'm sorry if im asking stupid questions) OS - Aix 6.1, 64 bits. Server - currently I only have telnet access to a... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: pilotHans
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Decompress (with gunzip) recursively, but do not delete original gz file

Hi all, I have a folder hierarchy with many gz files in them. I would like to recursively decompress them, but keep the original files. I would also like to move all the decompressed files (these are very large HDF5 files with .CP12 extension) to another data folder. Currently I am using four... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gansvv
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching inside a .gz file without gunzip

I have a set of folders inside which there may be n number of files. All those files are in .gz extension. Now I need to search all the files without gunzip them. Also I need to read the content of a file if the search pattern is found without gunzip them. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: realspirituals
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to gunzip a .gz file, in ksh

i am working on unix - ksh trying to unzip a .gz file and when i executed the below, in my command prompt in ksh gunzip abc.gz it was throwing the message below: gunzip: abc.gz: unexpected end of file - pls advise what is the reason for it..i am pretty sure the .gz file had no issues. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: billpeter3010
3 Replies

9. Solaris

Gunzip: File too large error

Hello All, I'm trying to write a script to load the MySQL DB from a dump file but the unzipping doesnt seem to work, not sure whats the issue, i get below error bash>gunzip mysql2-dump.gz gunzip: mysql2-dump: File too large bash > can anyone pls let me know how to sort this out? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mahesh_RPM
2 Replies

10. Red Hat

Unable to extract .gz file using gunzip

Linux 3.8.13-16.2.1.el6uek.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Nov 7 17:01:44 PST 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux Hi all, I am unable to extract .gz file using gunzip Used the following command to create the .gz file: nohup tar -cvpf - 11.2.0.4 | gzip -c >... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: a1_win
3 Replies
Z(1)							      General Commands Manual							      Z(1)

NAME
comprez - safely (un)tar and (de)feather files and directories SYNOPSIS
comprez [ -t | -T ] [ -v | -V ] [ -l | -L ] [ -gz | -z | -I | -lz | -Z | -zip | -jar ] [ -# ] [ -s suffix ] [ -m mode ] [ -p | -P ] [ -h ] [ -- ] file ... DESCRIPTION
Comprez is a simple, safe and convenient front-end for the compress(1), uncompress(1), gzip(1), bzip2(1), lzip(1), tar(1), zip(1) and unzip(1) utilities for compressing and uncompressing files and directories. It processes each of its arguments according to the type of the file or directory given: If the argument is a plain file, then the file is compressed, ie, feathered. If the argument is a compressed file with a name ending in .Z, .gz, .z, .bz2, .lz, .zip or .jar, then the file is uncompressed, ie, defeathered. If the argument is a directory, then the directory is archived into one tar or zip file which is then compressed, ie, tarred and feathered. If the argument is a compressed tar or zip archive with a name ending in .{tar.,tar,ta,t}{Z,gz,z,bz2,lz} or .{zip,jar}, then the archive is uncompressed and untarred, ie, untarred and defeathered. The new compressed or uncompressed version will be in the same directory as the original. A compressed file is always uncompressed into a file with the same name sans the feather suffix. A compressed tar or zip archive is always unpacked into a subdirectory with the same name as the archive sans the tar and feather suffix, even if the archive did not itself contain such a subdirectory. OPTIONS
-- Interprets all following arguments as files instead of options. -# Where # is a digit from 1 through 9. This option is passed on to gzip(1), bzip2(1), lzip(1) and zip(1) when feathering with them. --fast may be used instead of -1 and --best instead of -9. -gz Uses gzip(1) and a .gz compression suffix when feathering. -h Prints a helpful usage message. -I Uses bzip2(1) and a .bz2 compression suffix when feathering. -l Lists the file or directory name created resulting from each argument. -L Does not report created files or directories. Default. -lz Uses lzip(1) and a .lz compression suffix when feathering. -m mode Apply the given chmod(1) mode argument to any created tar and feather files. Before this argument is applied, the files have the same read and write permissions as the directories from which they were created. For security, the default argument is go-rwx. If the mode is -, then no argument is applied. See chmod(1) for all other allowable formats of this argument. -p Preserves modes when untarring by giving the p flag to tar(1). Default. -P Doesn't preserve modes when untarring by not giving the p flag to tar(1). This option may be necessary on systems where ordinary users are allowed to run chown(2). -s suffix Creates tar and feather files using the given suffix style. The default suffix style is .tar.Z. Note that the suffix style does not dictate the program used for feathering nor the compression suffix. -t Only lists the table of contents of the given files. Does not make any changes. -T (Un)tars and (de)feathers the given files according to their type. Default. -v Verbose output. For example, reports compression ratios when feathering. -V Non-verbose output. Does not report compression ratios. Default. -q is a synonym. -z Uses gzip(1) and a .z compression suffix when feathering. -Z Uses compress(1) and a .Z compression suffix when feathering. Default. -zip, -jar Uses zip(1) and a .zip or .jar compression suffix when tarring and/or feathering. The zip format combines tarring and feather- ing. WARNING: zip does not preserve complete Unix filesystem information for the files it archives, such as links, some permis- sions, etc. A tar(1)-based format should be used if this is required. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
ZOPTS This variable may be set to a string of the above options to supersede the default settings. They may still be overridden by options given on the command line. GZIP This environment variable for gzip(1) is not passed on by comprez so that gzip's behavior is standard and predictable. ZIPOPT, UNZIP These environment variables for zip(1) and unzip(1) are not passed on by comprez so that their behavior is standard and pre- dictable. BUGS
There should be an option to allow the use of another directory for temporary files needed during the (un)tarring and (de)feathering pro- cesses. This would make comprez more useful when the quota or disk is nearly full. There should be -k and -K options for keeping the original input files or not. CAVEATS
Comprez is written to work with gzip versions 1.2.3 and 1.2.4, bzip2 versions 0.9.0 and 1.0.0, Unix zip version 2.0.1 and Unix unzip ver- sion 5.12. Other versions will probably work safely, too, but should still be checked for compatibility. Every effort has been made to assure that the use of this program will not lead to the inappropriate deletion or corruption of any files. However, there are never any guarantees, so please use at your own risk. VERSION
2.6.1 AUTHOR
Steve Kinzler, kinzler@cs.indiana.edu, May 89/Jun 93/Aug 99/Dec 00 URL
http://www.cs.indiana.edu/~kinzler/z SEE ALSO
compress(1), uncompress(1), gzip(1), bzip2(1), lzip(1), tar(1), zip(1), unzip(1) 2.6.1 Z(1)