Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris 10 massive SMF log file Post 302844849 by hergp on Tuesday 20th of August 2013 06:55:21 AM
Old 08-20-2013
That would truncate the logfile to length zero, because the redirection is handled by the shell before the tail command can do it's work.

As for the original question. You can truncate the logfile, as long it is not open. You can check with

Code:
# /usr/sbin/fuser /var/svc/log/milestone-multi-user-server:default.log
/var/svc/log/milestone-multi-user-server:default.log:

If there is a process number after the colon, the file is open, like here:

Code:
/var/svc/log/system-filesystem-autofs:default.log:      965o     964o

These 2 Users Gave Thanks to hergp For This Post:

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Boot problem with SMF svcs-Solaris 10 for x86

Hi All, I am newbie in solaris, please guide me. A week before i installed solaris10 on my x86 system, it was working fine i always used "init 5" to shutdown my system as per my collegue advice. But yesterday when i started my system it gave me following message ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: imrankhan.in
6 Replies

2. Solaris

Permission denied in SMF service log

I can't get the exact error message because I am at home, but on Solaris 10u5 machine I have at work, a few services are stuck in the maintenance state with the following error message in the individual service logs (/var/svc/log/FMRI:instance.log): Cannot chdir: permission denied Fortunately... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ilikecows
2 Replies

3. Solaris

SMF in Solaris 10

In SOlaris 9 for eg, inside the /etc/init.d/inetsvc file, you can set the tcp tracing by going to the last line and adding the following as :- inetd -s -t & In Solaris 10, I know we can use the svccfg to do it or with the inetadm command. When I use inetadm -m command to set the tcp tracing... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: incredible
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Can solaris 10 SMF use remote dependencies

I have a customer who wants us to set up their applications to start using the solaris 10 SMF. One of their applications requires that 3 database instances are up and running, but those instances are on 3 separate servers. I can't think of any way that this can be done from what I have read on my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rkruck
1 Replies

5. Solaris

How to change default log location of SMF registered processes.

Hi All, I am trying to change default log location ( var/logs/svc/<component>) of each and evry SMF registered processes and append to particular file (/opt/smf.log) . Please help ................. Thanks in advance !!! Gyan prakash (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gyan_198
5 Replies

6. Solaris

SMF in Solaris wont write to stderr/stdout ?

Hi, I got a process (c written) that we usually run this way : EmsChkQu >> /EMS/log/EmsChkQu.log 2>&1 When trying to use it as a service I defined it this way : <?xml version='1.0'?> <!DOCTYPE service_bundle SYSTEM '/usr/share/lib/xml/dtd/service_bundle.dtd.1'> <service_bundle... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: zionassedo
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Massive ftp

friends good morning FTP works perfect but I have a doubt if I want to transport 10 files, I imagine that I should not open 10 connections as I can transfer more than 1 file? ftp -n <<!EOF open caburga user ephfact ephfact cd /users/efactura/docONE/entrada bin mput EPH`date... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: tricampeon81
16 Replies
DOVEADM-LOG(1)							      Dovecot							    DOVEADM-LOG(1)

NAME
doveadm-log - Locate, test or reopen Dovecot's log files SYNOPSIS
doveadm [-Dv] log errors doveadm [-Dv] log find [directory] doveadm [-Dv] log reopen doveadm [-Dv] log test DESCRIPTION
The doveadm log commands are used to locate and reopen the log files of dovecot(1). It's also possible to test the configured targets of the *log_path settings. OPTIONS
Global doveadm(1) options: -D Enables verbosity and debug messages. -v Enables verbosity, including progress counter. COMMANDS
log errors doveadm log errors The log errors command is used to show the last - up to 1,000 - errors and warnings. If no output is generated, no errors have occurred since the last start. log find doveadm log find [directory] The log find command is used to show the location of the log files, to which dovecot(1) sends its log messages. If dovecot(1) logs its messages through syslogd(8) and doveadm(1) could not find any log files, you can specify the directory where your syslogd writes its log files. log reopen doveadm log reopen This command causes doveadm to reopen all log files, configured in the log_path, info_log_path and debug_log_path settings. These settings are configured in /etc/dovecot/conf.d/10-logging.conf. This is for example useful after manually rotating the log files. log test doveadm log test This command causes doveadm to write the message "This is Dovecot's priority log (timestamp)" to the configured log files. The used prior- ities are: debug, info, warning, error and fatal. EXAMPLE
This example shows how to locate the log files used by dovecot(1). doveadm log find Looking for log files from /var/log Debug: /var/log/dovecot.debug Info: /var/log/mail.log Warning: /var/log/mail.log Error: /var/log/mail.log Fatal: /var/log/mail.log REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs, including doveconf -n output, to the Dovecot Mailing List <dovecot@dovecot.org>. Information about reporting bugs is avail- able at: http://dovecot.org/bugreport.html SEE ALSO
doveadm(1) Dovecot v2.1 2012-02-22 DOVEADM-LOG(1)