Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Joining lines in TXT file based on first character Post 302844773 by rdcwayx on Tuesday 20th of August 2013 03:19:28 AM
Old 08-20-2013
Code:
awk '{printf (/^\|/)?$0:RS $0}' infile

This User Gave Thanks to rdcwayx For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining lines in log file

Hi, I need to develop a script to join multiple three lines in a log file into one line for processing with awk and grep. I looked at tr with no success. The first line contains the date time information. The second line contains the error line. The third line is a blank line. Thanks, Mike (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bubba112557
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining 2 lines in a file together

Hi guys, I've got a log file which has entries that look like this: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 06/08/04 07:57:57 AMQ9002: Channel program started. EXPLANATION: Channel program 'INSCCPQ1.HSMTSPQ1' started. ACTION: None. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: m223464
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging lines based on occurances of a particular character in a file

Hi, Is there any way to merge two lines based on specific occurance of a character in a file. I am having a flat file which contains multiple records. Each row in the file should contain specified number of delimiter. For a particular row , if the delimiter count is not matched with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohan_tuty
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash - joining lines in a file

I’m writing a bash shell script and I want to join lines together where two variables on each line are the same ie. 12345variablestuff43212morevariablestuff 12345variablestuff43212morevariablestuff 34657variablestuff78945morevariablestuff 34657variablestuff78945morevariablestuff... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cultcha
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining lines in a file - help!

I'm looking for a way to join lines in a file; e.,g consider the following R|This is line 1 R|This is line 2 R|This is line 3 R|This is line 4 R|This is line 5 what i want to end up with is R|This is line 1 R|This is line 2 R|This is line 3 R|This is line 4 R|This is line 5 so... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Storms
15 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing a character with a number based on lines

Hi, I am in need of help for the two things which is to be done. First, I have a file that has around four columns. The first column is filled with letter "A". There are around 400 lines in the files as shown below. A 1 5.2 3.2 A 2 0.2 4.5 A 1 2.2 2.2 A 5 2.1 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: begin_shell
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to combine two lines in a file based on first character of each line in a file

Hi, I have a requirement where I need to combine two lines in a file based on first character of each line in a file. Please find the sample content of the file below: Code: _______________________ 5, jaya, male, 4-5-90, single smart 6, prakash, male, 5-4-84, married fair 7, raghavi,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jayaP
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need to combine two lines in a file based on first character of each line in a file

Hi, I have a requirement where I need to combine two lines in a file based on first character of each line in a file. Please find the sample content of the file below: Code: _______________________ 5, jaya, male, 4-5-90, single smart 6, prakash, male, 5-4-84, married fair 7, raghavi,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jayaP
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Select lines based on character length

Hi, I've got a file like this: 22 22:35645163:T:<CN0>:0 0 35645163 T <CN0> 22 rs140738445:20902439:TTTTTTTG:T 0 20902439 T TTTTTTTG 22 rs149602065:40537763:TTTTTTG:T 0 40537763 T TTTTTTG 22 rs71670155:50538408:TTTTTTG:T 0 50538408 T TTTTTTG... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zajtat
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk joining multiple lines based on field count

Hi Folks, I have a file with fields as follows which has last field in multiple lines. I would like to combine a line which has three fields with single field line for as shown in expected output. Please help. INPUT hname01 windows appnamec1eda_p1, ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shunya
5 Replies
curs_scroll(3CURSES)					     Curses Library Functions					      curs_scroll(3CURSES)

NAME
curs_scroll, scroll, scrl, wscrl - scroll a curses window SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag ... ] file ... -lcurses [ library ... ] #include <curses.h> int scroll(WINDOW *win); int scrl(int n); int wscrl(WINDOW *win, int n); DESCRIPTION
With the scroll() routine, the window is scrolled up one line. This involves moving the lines in the window data structure. As an optimiza- tion, if the scrolling region of the window is the entire screen, the physical screen is scrolled at the same time. With the scrl() and wscrl() routines, for positive n scroll the window up n lines (line i+n becomes i); otherwise scroll the window down n lines. This involves moving the lines in the window character image structure. The current cursor position is not changed. For these functions to work, scrolling must be enabled via scrollok(). RETURN VALUES
All routines return the integer ERR upon failure and an integer value other than ERR upon successful completion. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Unsafe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
curs_outopts(3CURSES), curses(3CURSES), attributes(5) NOTES
The header <curses.h> automatically includes the headers <stdio.h> and <unctrl.h>. Note that scrl() and scroll() may be macros. SunOS 5.10 31 Dec 1996 curs_scroll(3CURSES)