Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Linux : getting error while executing mkfs Post 302844445 by hergp on Monday 19th of August 2013 09:00:08 AM
Old 08-19-2013
These commands might give you some insight:

Code:
mount | grep sda2
swapon -s | grep sda2
pvs | grep sda2

I bet, the device is in use as swapspace.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Problem executing C files in Linux

Hi there I compiled a simple .c file using the cc command, the file was compiled successfully and executable file (a.out) was generated. But When I executed the a.out file it gave me: bash: a.out: command not found Can anybody tell me what's the problem. Note that I'm using: Red Hat... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: HAS
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mkfs and mke2fs filesystems..

I am very interested in filesystems. creating filesystems on my database is almost a function that I apply routinely.. . but recently I have been reading up on filesystems and creating filesystem in The Rute Tutorial and Expo by paul sheer.. and he mentions the use of mkfs and mke2fs as a means... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
4 Replies

3. AIX

AIX 4.3.3 - mkfs default 4096K Why?

I was wondering why the mkfs command would be defaulted to allocate a minimum of 4096K of space to each file. :confused: (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vigsgb
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating create mirrored disk files systems using mkfs command

What is the correct mkfs syntax to create mirrored disk files systems? I need to make the file system 20gb. For example: machine# mkfs -F ufs /dev/md/dsk/d40 size not specified ufs usage: mkfs special size(sectors) \ -m : dump fs cmd line used to make this partition -V : print this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: GLJ@USC
4 Replies

5. Solaris

difference between mkfs and newfs

hi what is the difference between mkfs and newfs (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhudeepan
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error executing shell script in Linux

Hi, I have following shell script code : ------------------------------------------------------------------ #!/bin/bash SCRIPTS_DIR="/scriptsDir1" # tables login/password APIL_USER="uname/pswd" I2_USER="uname/pswd" # Database DB="db1" cd "$SCRIPTS_DIR/scriptsDir2" sqlplus... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chaitrali
2 Replies

7. Linux

Error executing shell script in Linux

Hi, I have following shell script code : ------------------------------------------------------------------ #!/bin/bash SCRIPTS_DIR="/scriptsDir1" # tables login/password APIL_USER="uname/pswd" I2_USER="uname/pswd" # Database DB="db1" cd "$SCRIPTS_DIR/scriptsDir2" sqlplus... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Chaitrali
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question regarding mkfs ext3

Hi i am looking for some help with a question relating to the creation of the ext3 file system. "Why is it good practice not to have a file system mounted whilst you try to create it?" I have searched google but not had any luck in finding out what the actual dangers are of creating a file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: allan1986
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK Program Not Executing On Linux with KSH

Overview: I have an AWK program that parses thru a database backup server log file and outputs ths following parameters SRNO DATE : TIME SIZE IN(KB) DATABASE NAME DUMP TYPE 1 May 16 2012: 13:30:00 6874 TestDB database 2 May 16 2012: 13:30:44 11462 master database Problem: This program has... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: JolietJake
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing perl script in Linux gives :Exec format error. Wrong Architecture

i have perl script that used to be working great , once i edit it in windows and convert it to UTF-8 and then via FTP return it . also did: chmod +x foo.pl and then when i try to run it : ./foo.pl im getting this error: ./foo.pl: Exec format error. Wrong Architecture.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
4 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)