Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How Select numbers from a line of text, and remove leading spaces? Post 302844266 by kcpoole on Sunday 18th of August 2013 04:09:15 AM
Old 08-18-2013
Thanks and that almost works. I get the 1, 2 or 3 numbers as desired but when I write them out to a resulting file using this line, I now get a space after the numbers.
Code:
echo D';'$centnum';'$centnam';;M;;' > MM_file.txt

Code:
D;156 ;Home athletics center;;M;;

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove leading spaces from a line

Hi friends I need some help, I have a file which looks as follows TEMP 014637065 014637065 517502 517502 RTE 517502 517502 RTE AWATER_TEST 12325 23563 588323 2323 5656 32385 23235635 ANOTHER_TEST 12 5433 FTHH 5653 833 TEST 123 123 3235 5353 353 53 35 353 535 3 YTERS GJK JKLS ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lijojoseph
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed over writes my original file (using sed to remove leading spaces)

Hello and thx for reading this I'm using sed to remove only the leading spaces in a file bash-280R# cat foofile some text some text some text some text some text bash-280R# bash-280R# sed 's/^ *//' foofile > foofile.use bash-280R# cat foofile.use some text some text some text... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: laser
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove trailing and leading spaces using tr command

Dear All, can you please advice how do i remove trailing and leading spaces from a pipe-delimited file using "tr" command the below cmd, i tried removed all spaces tr -d ' '<s1.txt>s2.txt1 Many thx Suresh (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshg_sampat
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to remove leading spaces

Hi Experts, In a file tht i copied from the web , i am not able to remove the leading white spaces. I tried the below , none of them working . I opened the file through vi to check for the special characters if any , but no such characters found. Your advice will be greatly appreciated. sed... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: panyam
5 Replies

5. OS X (Apple)

Remove leading spaces from file names and folders

Hi All, I have a vexing issue with leading spaces in file names. Basically, we're moving tons of data from our ancient afp file share to Box.com and Box forbids leading spaces in files or folders. The HFS file system seems to be perfectly fine with this, but almost all other Unix file systems... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prometheon123
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How do I remove leading spaces in UNIX when count of space character is not fixed? Example below-

Script showStreamsGLIS$reg.$env.ksh gives me output as below- Job Stime Etime Status ExitCode GLIS-AS-S-EFL-LOCK-B ----- ----- OI 103313880/0 GLIS-ALL-Q-EOD-FX-UPDT-1730-B ----- ----- TE 0/0 GLIS-TK-S-BWSOD-B ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tanu
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove leading and trailing spaces from a file

Hi, I am trying to remove leading and trailing spaces from a file using awk but somehow I have not been able to do it. Here is the data that I want to trim. 07/12/2017 15:55:00 |entinfdev |AD ping Time ms | .474| 1.41| .581|green |flat... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: svajhala
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to remove leading spaces

OS : RHEL 6.7 Shell : bash I am trying to remove the leading the spaces in the below file $ cat pattern2.txt hello1 hello2 hello3 hello4 Expected output is shown below. $ cat pattern2.txt hello1 hello2 hello3 hello4 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: John K
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove leading and trailing spaces for variable in shell script?

Hi I have variable named tablename. The value to tablename variable has leading and trailing white spaces. How to remove the leading and training white spaces and write the value of the tablename without space to a file using shell script. ( for e.g. tablename= yyy ) INPUT ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: pottic
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Tip to remove line endings and spaces on a pre-formatted text file?

Hi, At the moment, using Notepad++ to do a search and replace, manually section by section which is real painful. Yeah, so copying each section of the line of text and putting into a file and then search and replace, need at least 3-operations in Notepad++. Here's hoping I will be able to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies
gencat(1)						      General Commands Manual							 gencat(1)

NAME
gencat - generate a formatted message catalog file SYNOPSIS
catfile msgfile ... DESCRIPTION
Message catalogs allow a program to process input and produce output according to local customs and languages. For details, see The command merges each message source msgfile into a formatted message catalog catfile that can be accessed by (see catgets(3C)). If cat- file does not exist, it is created. If catfile exists, its messages are included in the new catfile. If set and message numbers collide, the new message text in file replaces the old message text in catfile. A msgfile consists of message, directive, and comment lines (all without leading spaces or tabs) described below. Except as noted, fields are separated by one or more space or tab characters. If is specified as catalog file, standard output is used. If is specified for an instance of message file, standard input is used. A directive specifies the set s, of the messages that follow until the next or end-of-file appears. The set number s is an unsigned integer in the range 1 through Any string following the set number is treated as a comment. If a directive is not specified, messages are put in the default set Set numbers must be in ascending order within a msgfile but need not be contiguous. A directive deletes the message set identified by the set number s, from an existing message catalog. Any string following the set number is treated as a comment. m message_text A message line specifies a message number m, and associated message text. The message number m is an unsigned integer in the range 1 through The message_text is a C string, including spaces, tabs and (back- slash) escapes, but by default without surrounding quotes (see directive below). The message number m is separated from the message_text by a single space or tab character. The message_text begins with the first character following the separator and ends at new-line. Extra spaces or tabs (including any trailing spaces or tabs) are considered part of the message_text. The message_text of a message line is stored in catfile with message number m and set number s specified by the most recent directive. Message numbers must be in ascending order within a set, but need not be contiguous. Note that the space or tab separator distinguishes insertion of a null message from deletion of a message. If a message line has a number and separator but no text, the message number and an associated null message string are stored in catfile. If a message line has a number but neither separator nor text, the message number and its associated message text are deleted from catfile. If the option is specified, the length of message_text must be no more than - 1 bytes. If the option is not speci- fied, the length of message_text must be no more than bytes. See catgets(3C), for message length limits imposed by these routines. A directive specifies a quote character q, used to surround message_text and make leading and trailing space visible in a message line. Any string following the specified quote character q is treated as a comment. By default, or if a quote character q not is supplied, quoting of message_text is not recognized. A followed by a space or tab is treated as a comment and can appear anywhere in a file. A line consisting of zero or more spaces or tabs is treated as a comment line. and are defined in is defined in is defined in EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables provides a default value for the internationalization variables that are unset or null. If is unset or null, the default value of "C" (see lang(5)) is used. If any of the internationalization variables contains an invalid setting, will behave as if all internationalization variables are set to "C". See environ(5). if set to a non-empty string value, overrides the values of all of the other internationalization variables. determines the interpretation of text as single and/or multi-byte characters, the classification of characters as printable, and the char- acters matched by character class expressions in regular expressions. determines the locale that should be used to affect the format and contents of diagnostic messages written to standard error and informa- tive messages written to standard output. determines the location of message catalogs for the processing of International Code Set Support Single- and multi-byte character code sets are supported. WARNINGS
The directive is not currently supported on the HP MPE and RTE operating systems. AUTHOR
was developed by HP and the X/Open Company, Ltd. SEE ALSO
dumpmsg(1), findmsg(1), insertmsg(1), catgets(3C), catopen(3C). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
gencat(1)