Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Cycle for with for-then-else
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Cycle for with for-then-else Post 302844083 by elilmal on Friday 16th of August 2013 10:43:12 AM
Old 08-16-2013
Cycle for with for-then-else

Hi,

i would like to insert a if-then-else function in to cycle for

--------------
cat test
--------------
Code:
[root@EmcSanServer ~]# cat test
ALFA
BETA
GAMMA

-----------------------

This is my script:
Code:
#!/bin/bash

for i in $(cat test); if [ $i = 'ALFA' ]; then
        echo "ok"
else
        echo "not ok"
fi
done

That's is wrong?

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 08-16-2013 at 11:54 AM.. Reason: extra code tags

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell cycle

Hello I got a cycle in the script which open another scripts. if then action fi Scripts action will be running 2 times at the same time. Inside of action() is insert into the table. But what I want is that only first script can do insert into table. So how to do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mape
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

For cycle

Hello, I have files in a dir. I what to create a FOR cycle that will do this FOR <condition> do file=`ls <directory> | tail -1` echo $file mv -f $file <another dir> done What I want to now is what should I put in the <condition>. The condition I want is that the FOR will execute... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nagomes
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

wildcard in a if cycle

hello everybody, I need help on putting a wildcard match inside an if condition (I'm using korn shell): if ] then echo ' ' echo ''$MYSEL' is not a correct option' echo ' ' else ..... i tried also #if -ne "``" and a lot of combinations of `"' but I didn't find the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: elionba82
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

for cycle

Hello, I have a question: is there a way to have a "for" cycle done a certain number of times. For example in c++ I can do this: for (i=o;i<10;i++) and the cycle will be repeated 10 times. in UNIX for example I do this: for i in `cat /etc/host` do done and the cycle will be repeated... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcpetela
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

for cycle question

i have a question how to modify below script to generate the expect result below : test.sh #!/bin/bash for ((i=0; i < 25; i++)) do echo $1$i done current result: test.sh 20090101 200901010 200901011 200901012 200901013 200901014 200901015 200901016 200901017 200901018 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bleach8578
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed problem in a for cycle

Hi, i have a problem with a sed command runned in a for cycle... I have a file named fileX which contains (i have crippled the line to minimal for easy): load data dbfoo - TOCHANGE - comment load data dbboo - TOCHANGE - comment load data dbzoo - TOCHANGE - comment ... And a file... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxlamax
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

For cycle, process order

Hello, I am running a script under ubuntu 16.04 I have no problem with the script. My question is general algorithm of for file command. I just need to know how for file in *.txt process works. Let's say, I wish to run the script by sorting filename: for file in *.txt do "do something in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
2 Replies
BZEXE(1)						      General Commands Manual							  BZEXE(1)

NAME
bzexe - compress executable files in place SYNOPSIS
bzexe [ name ... ] DESCRIPTION
The bzexe utility allows you to compress executables in place and have them automatically uncompress and execute when you run them (at a penalty in performance). For example if you execute ``bzexe /bin/cat'' it will create the following two files: -r-xr-xr-x 1 root bin 9644 Feb 11 11:16 /bin/cat -r-xr-xr-x 1 bin bin 24576 Nov 23 13:21 /bin/cat~ /bin/cat~ is the original file and /bin/cat is the self-uncompressing executable file. You can remove /bin/cat~ once you are sure that /bin/cat works properly. This utility is most useful on systems with very small disks. OPTIONS
-d Decompress the given executables instead of compressing them. SEE ALSO
bzip2(1), znew(1), zmore(1), zcmp(1), zforce(1) CAVEATS
The compressed executable is a shell script. This may create some security holes. In particular, the compressed executable relies on the PATH environment variable to find gzip and some other utilities (tail, chmod, ln, sleep). BUGS
bzexe attempts to retain the original file attributes on the compressed executable, but you may have to fix them manually in some cases, using chmod or chown. BZEXE(1)