Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help with trap and signals
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with trap and signals Post 302843937 by Chubler_XL on Thursday 15th of August 2013 06:17:54 PM
Old 08-15-2013
All commands unless they are bash internals are run as a child process.

As an example try replacing the external sleep command with the internal read like this:

Code:
while :
  do
        echo in loop now
        read -s -N 1024 -t 5

done

This User Gave Thanks to Chubler_XL For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Signals In HP-UX

does the way of handling, interrupting signals in HP-UX same as that of solaris. If there is difference than what it is.?:confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kapilv
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to trap signals.

hi!!, i wanna trap all Signal 10, 11, 15 generated by any process running on my server irrespective of the user and wanna write to a log file. Any ideas? Do this script need to be a root process?? :cool: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jyotipg
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Building a better mouse trap, or How many lines of code does it take to trap a mouse?

Hello all, I'm hoping to get a little insight from some of the wily veterans amongst you. I've written a script to check for new outgoing files to our vendors located on our ssl server. It seems to be working ok, but the final question here, will be one of logic, and/or a better way to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mph
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cntl+z Trap is not detecting ??? Help required to add a trap detection ???

Hi folks, I have tried to add some trap detection in the below script....this script is used to monitor database activities...in a rather awkward way :rolleyes:.... The idea behind adding trap is that....this script creates lots of temporary files in the running folder to store the count... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frozensmilz
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Signals...

(posted this in the scripting forum as well, but figured it should go here) So, what's going on is this: For our program, we had to create our own shell, and if the user pressed ctrl-c just at the cmdline, then this signal would be ignored, but if there is a foreground process running, let's... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: blind melon
0 Replies

6. Programming

Using Signals

How can use signals in a C program If i want a child program to signal it's parent program that it(child) program has completed the task that it was assigned.:confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kapilv
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how trap the signals in shell scripting

Hi all, I have the c program that c program has to be in sleep mode. I want write a script the it should trap the signal from the c program. The signals are sighup,sigkill,sigterm,sigchld and then it has to go to sleep. If signal is sigchld it has to do to some function. My question is how to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhas85
3 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

VM trap may work differently than a pure install trap.

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: That is the last reply I received from my instructor, and I'm looking for some alternatives. When using... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newuser45
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help with Signals

Hi All, The problem statement is as below: Problem: A process (exe) is getting executed in background. The output of this process is getting logged in a file. After successfully running for some time the process gets terminated. In the log file following is present: ^M[7m Interrupt ^M[27m... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Praty.27
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reg trap signals

let LIMIT=50 function check { if ]; then print LIMIT OK else print "LIMIT changed!" fi } trap check DEBUG print $LIMIT LIMIT=$((LIMIT + 30)) trap - DEBUG Can anyone tell me how debugging is accomplished?? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Karthick N
4 Replies
FLOCK(1)                                                           User Commands                                                          FLOCK(1)

NAME
flock - manage locks from shell scripts SYNOPSIS
flock [options] file|directory command [arguments] flock [options] file|directory -c command flock [options] number DESCRIPTION
This utility manages flock(2) locks from within shell scripts or from the command line. The first and second of the above forms wrap the lock around the execution of a command, in a manner similar to su(1) or newgrp(1). They lock a specified file or directory, which is created (assuming appropriate permissions) if it does not already exist. By default, if the lock cannot be immediately acquired, flock waits until the lock is available. The third form uses an open file by its file descriptor number. See the examples below for how that can be used. OPTIONS
-c, --command command Pass a single command, without arguments, to the shell with -c. -E, --conflict-exit-code number The exit code used when the -n option is in use, and the conflicting lock exists, or the -w option is in use, and the timeout is reached. The default value is 1. -F, --no-fork Do not fork before executing command. Upon execution the flock process is replaced by command which continues to hold the lock. This option is incompatible with --close as there would otherwise be nothing left to hold the lock. -e, -x, --exclusive Obtain an exclusive lock, sometimes called a write lock. This is the default. -n, --nb, --nonblock Fail rather than wait if the lock cannot be immediately acquired. See the -E option for the exit code used. -o, --close Close the file descriptor on which the lock is held before executing command. This is useful if command spawns a child process which should not be holding the lock. -s, --shared Obtain a shared lock, sometimes called a read lock. -u, --unlock Drop a lock. This is usually not required, since a lock is automatically dropped when the file is closed. However, it may be required in special cases, for example if the enclosed command group may have forked a background process which should not be hold- ing the lock. -w, --wait, --timeout seconds Fail if the lock cannot be acquired within seconds. Decimal fractional values are allowed. See the -E option for the exit code used. The zero number of seconds is interpreted as --nonblock. --verbose Report how long it took to acquire the lock, or why the lock could not be obtained. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help text and exit. EXAMPLES
shell1> flock /tmp -c cat shell2> flock -w .007 /tmp -c echo; /bin/echo $? Set exclusive lock to directory /tmp and the second command will fail. shell1> flock -s /tmp -c cat shell2> flock -s -w .007 /tmp -c echo; /bin/echo $? Set shared lock to directory /tmp and the second command will not fail. Notice that attempting to get exclusive lock with second command would fail. shell> flock -x local-lock-file echo 'a b c' Grab the exclusive lock "local-lock-file" before running echo with 'a b c'. ( flock -n 9 || exit 1 # ... commands executed under lock ... ) 9>/var/lock/mylockfile The form is convenient inside shell scripts. The mode used to open the file doesn't matter to flock; using > or >> allows the lock- file to be created if it does not already exist, however, write permission is required. Using < requires that the file already exists but only read permission is required. [ "${FLOCKER}" != "$0" ] && exec env FLOCKER="$0" flock -en "$0" "$0" "$@" || : This is useful boilerplate code for shell scripts. Put it at the top of the shell script you want to lock and it'll automatically lock itself on the first run. If the env var $FLOCKER is not set to the shell script that is being run, then execute flock and grab an exclusive non-blocking lock (using the script itself as the lock file) before re-execing itself with the right arguments. It also sets the FLOCKER env var to the right value so it doesn't run again. EXIT STATUS
The command uses sysexits.h return values for everything, except when using either of the options -n or -w which report a failure to acquire the lock with a return value given by the -E option, or 1 by default. When using the command variant, and executing the child worked, then the exit status is that of the child command. AUTHOR
H. Peter Anvin <hpa@zytor.com> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2003-2006 H. Peter Anvin. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
flock(2) AVAILABILITY
The flock command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils /util-linux/>. util-linux July 2014 FLOCK(1)