Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Pid=$!
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Pid=$! Post 302843932 by alister on Thursday 15th of August 2013 05:42:31 PM
Old 08-15-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrageous
That's not in my version of bash or korn shell. You know you should just do echo $!
You must've overlooked it. The ! built-in variable has been around for a long time.

Regards,
Alister

---------- Post updated at 05:42 PM ---------- Previous update was at 05:40 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlietdr
it gives me null value
It's null until you run something in the background with & or bg.

Regards,
Alister

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

printing ppid,child pid,pid

question: for the below program i just printed the value for pid, child pid and parent pid why does it give me 6 values? i assume ppid is 28086 but can't figure out why there are 5 values printed instead of just two! can someone comment on that! #include<stdio.h> #define DIM 8 int... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: a25khan
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Pid=0

What OS does not use PID=0? is it FreeBSD? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nmajin
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get PID only

The below command returns full line.How can i get only PID from this line ie 15794 from the below example (FI NY) nbswpsa52.ny.ficc.gs.com~ ->ps -ef | grep keepalive | grep -v keepaliveStub | grep -v swapback | grep -v grep ficctprd 15794 1 0 13:12:58 ? 0:01 keepalive (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kotasateesh
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

getting PID

Hi , I am trying to get the PID using the following command: $ /usr/ucb/ps -auwwwwx | grep java | grep Proceess | ptree PID or $ /usr/ucb/ps -auwwwwx | grep java | grep Proceess;ptree PID it is possible to get PID, such that I check whether any orphan process is running. solution... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rakesh Bhat
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Session PID & socket connection pid

1. If I use an software application(which connects to the database in the server) in my local pc, how many PID should be registered? Would there be PID for the session and another PID for socket connection? 2. I noticed (through netstat) that when I logged in using the my software application,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pcx26
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

KILL PID, intern should kill another PID.

Hi All, In my project i have two process runs in the back end. Once i start my project, and execute the command ps, i get below output: PID TTY TIME CMD 9086 pts/1 0:00 ksh 9241 pts/1 0:02 java 9240 pts/1 0:00 shell_script_bg java with 9241 PID is the main... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkrgarlapati
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to get pid of a process and have to store the pid in a variable

Hi, I need to get the pid of a process and have to store the pid in a variable and i want to use this value(pid) of the variable for some process. Please can anyone tell me how to get the pid of a process and store it in a variable. please help me on this. Thanks in advance, Amudha (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: samudha
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Get pid

Hello people, This question might seem to be a little naive but here it goes: I want to know the PID of a script that is running in the background. eg: There is a script called Data_Downloader.sh I am using the command: ps -ef | grep Data_Downloader.sh But I am getting the output as wrkarea... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajat
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Another PID ?

I have searched to find an anwer to no avail, I hope you can help me. I have a.ksh that many people call and a.ksh calls b.ksh b.ksh is also invoked stand-alone by many people as well In b.ksh I want to do something different if it was not involked by a.ksh. How can I do this? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: CAGIRL
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

PID value

name the process wit PID value 0? swapper or scheduler or both.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthi_g
3 Replies
snmpa_network_interface(3erl)				     Erlang Module Definition				     snmpa_network_interface(3erl)

NAME
snmpa_network_interface - Behaviour module for the SNMP agent network interface. DESCRIPTION
This module defines the behaviour of the agent network interface. A snmpa_network_interface compliant module must export the following functions: * start_link/4 * info/1 * get_log_type/1 * set_log_type/2 * verbosity/2 The semantics of them and their exact signatures are explained below. But this is not enough. There is also a set of mandatory messages which the network interface entity must be able to receive and be able to send. This is described in chapter snmp_agent_netif . EXPORTS
start_link(Prio, NoteStore, MasterAgent, Opts) -> {ok, Pid} | {error, Reason} Types Prio = priority() NoteStore = pid() MasterAgent = pid() Opts = [opt()] opt() = {verbosity, verbosity()} | {versions, versions()} | term() versions() = [version()] version() = v1 | v2 | v3 Start-link the network interface process. NoteStore is the pid of the note-store process and MasterAgent is the pid of the master-agent process. Opts is an (basically) implementation dependent list of options to the network interface process. There are however a number of options which must be handled: versions and verbosity . info(Pid) -> [{Key, Value}] Types Pid = pid() The info returned is basically up to the implementer to decide. This implementation provided by the application provides info about memory allocation and various socket information. The info returned by this function is returned together with other info collected by the agent when the info function is called (tagged with with the key net_if ). verbosity(Pid, Verbosity) -> void() Types Pid = pid() Verbosity = verbosity() Change the verbosity of a running network interface process. get_log_type(Pid) -> {ok, LogType} | {error, Reason} Types Pid = pid() LogType = atl_type() Reason = term() The Audit Trail Log is managed by the network interface process. So, it is this process that has to retrieve the actual log-type. set_log_type(Pid, NewType) -> {ok, OldType} | {error, Reason} Types Pid = pid() NewType = OldType = atl_type() Reason = term() The Audit Trail Log is managed by the network interface process. So, it is this process that has to do the actual changing of the type. See set_log_type for more info. Ericsson AB snmp 4.19 snmpa_network_interface(3erl)