Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Replacement OS for Ubuntu
Operating Systems Linux Replacement OS for Ubuntu Post 302843912 by LMHmedchem on Thursday 15th of August 2013 04:07:23 PM
Old 08-15-2013
Since this will likely be at least a dual boot machine, a support forum is very important. It is still a mystery to me why it continues to be difficult to have a bootloader that is easy to install and configure. It would seem like it would be easy to have an application that would examine your file system, find all the bootable images, and give you some menu options for how to configure your bootloader. Instead we get this mess of conf files and different versions of grub installed all over the place, installers that insist on installing grub somewhere even when there are already 12 other installs, and every OS trying to make sure it's the only one that ever gets booted. Since this can be such a mess, it is pretty important to have a place to ask questions.

I have been looking at poseidon linux, but I can't find a support forum for then at all. That will be a deal-breaker if there is actually no forum (as opposed to my just not being about to find it).

LMHmedchem

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Would like to install x86 desktop Ubuntu over AMD64 Ubuntu server

My intention was to build a dual boot XP Pro 64 and Ubuntu media server. I had installed the AMD64 version of Ubuntu 8.10 server and thought that I would be able to install Apache server. I need a GUI to work in. I tried to boot and install Mythbuntu 32 bit 8.10, but my machine now won't recognize... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: docflyboy
0 Replies

2. Ubuntu

XP and Linux (Ubuntu) on same disk, Can I install Ubuntu on not-yet partitioned portion of disk?

My PC (Esprimo, 3 yeas old) has one hard drive having 2 partitions C: (80 GB NTFS, XP) and D: (120 GB NTFS, empty) and and a 200 MB area that yet is not-partitioned. I would like to try Ubuntu and to install Ubuntu on the not-partitioned area . The idea is to have the possibility to run... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: C.Weidemann
7 Replies

3. Ubuntu

Ubuntu / Ubuntu File Manager / Config

I am using Ubuntu 9.10 with Gnome 2.28. I use the default Nautilus File Manager to view / manage files. Is there a way to add icons or customize the icons that are above the location bar and below the menus? There is a bar that has icons for "Back" "Forward" "Parent" above the location bar. I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: drewk
6 Replies

4. Ubuntu

[UBUNTU] mount.nfs fails in Ubuntu / Works on Red Hat!!!

Gurus, I want log in locally to my Lucid (10.04) workstation and have my code saved over the network on my samba account At work, all developers have samba user ids and when we were running Red Hat, we went thru the following procedure to get setup. * open a shell session to NFS server... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alan
2 Replies

5. Ubuntu

Re-install Ubuntu 14.04 from system with Ubuntu on it

I need to re-install ubuntu on a system with ubuntu 14.04 already installed. I have the cd but can not seem to boot from it or find the installer. Is there a way to re-install from the command line or how do I do a fresh re-install? Thank you :) ---------- Post updated at 10:13 AM... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies
update-grub(8)						      System Manager's Manual						    update-grub(8)

NAME
update-grub - program to generate GRUB's menu.lst file SYNOPSIS
update-grub DESCRIPTION
update-grub is a program used to generate the menu.lst file used by the grub bootloader. It works by looking in /boot for all files which start with "vmlinuz-". They will be treated as kernels, and grub menu entries will be created for each. It will also create the initial menu.lst if none exists, after prompting the user. It will also add initrd lines for ramdisk images found with the same version as kernels found. e.g. /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.5 and /boot/initrd-2.4.5 will cause a line of "initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.5 or similar to be added for the ker- nel entry in the menu.lst. After update-grub has been run for the first time, the user is required to edit the generated menu.lst. The user must set the two options update-grub uses. Then re-run the update-grub script to update the menu.lst file using the default's that have been set. These are the options passed to the linux kernel: # kopt=root=/dev/hda1 ro Everything after "kopt=" is passed to the kernel as parameters. See bootparam(7) for more information. This is the grub device from which grub loads the kernel: # groot=(hd0,1) (hd0,1) is a partition in grub notation. See grub(8) for more information. This option controls if grub should create the alternative boot options in the menu entries # alternative=true # alternative=false This option controls if grub should lock the alternative boot options see grub(8) for more information. # lockalternative=true # lockalternative=false This option controls if grub should lock the old kernels. # lockold=true # lockold=false This options controls what is used for the alternative boot options, multiple altoptions lines are allowed. # altoptions=(some description) some kernel command line options # altoptions=(recovery option) single The description is placed in '()' and the kernel command line options follow that. # updatedefault=true # updatedefault=false This option controls if grub should update the default entry to keep booting the same kernel even if a new one is installed. The update-grub script can be ran automagically from the /etc/kernel-img.conf file by adding the following lines: postinst_hook = update-grub postrm_hook = update-grub do_bootloader = no For further information related to /etc/kernel-img.conf, see the manpage kernel-img.conf(5). SEE ALSO
grub(8), grub-install(8), kernel-img.conf(5) (contained in the kernel-package package), bootparam(7). The full documentation for grub is maintained as a Texinfo manual in the grub-legacy-doc package. If the info and grub programs are prop- erly installed at your site, the command info grub should give you access to the complete manual. AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Jason Thomas <jason@debian.org>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). Jason Thomas June 18, 2001 update-grub(8)