Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Trace su to root
Operating Systems AIX Trace su to root Post 302843846 by rbatte1 on Thursday 15th of August 2013 10:33:08 AM
Old 08-15-2013
We have a separate server that is just a syslog collector. In /etc/syslog.conf, we have the following entry added along with anything to local disk files you want to keep:-
Code:
*.debug  @111.222.333.444

So anything written via syslog is immediate duplicated to that address.

This traps anything that you have set up to write to the syslog, including login, failed-login, FTP trace(if you have it) SSH connections etc. along with any catastrophic system failure, and the log may give you a clue to get restarted again.

We kept the definition as IP to stop anyone fiddling with the DNS entry first. Of course, then you have to defend the server collecting the syslog output, but that might be easier as you can write firewall rules pretty tightly around it and only let in the syslog traffic. Access for us is via the (virtual) console only and reports can be requested and out-bound FTP is allowed to get the reports to the LAN.

I think that the syslog collector uses software from the security company RSA, but I might be wrong. You could always use your own though.

Robin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Trace connections

In my organization in order for anyone to go to any Unix server they have to go through "SERVER A" and login as themselves. Then people are free to go enywhere they please. For example: SERVER A, loggs in as himself telnets to SERVER B, loggs in as guest telnets to SERVER C, loggs in as... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jraitsev
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run non-root script as root with non-root environment

All, I want to run a non-root script as the root user with non-root environment variables with crontab. The non-root user would have environment variables for database access such as Oracle or Sybase. The root user does not have the Oracle or Sybase enviroment variables. I thought you could do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bubba112557
2 Replies

3. IP Networking

trace route ip

hi everybody , i have a solaris 5.6 box and i want to trace the route on an ip i treid traceroute but soalris 5.6 does not support it ... is there a command that can be used equivelent to traceroute ? thanks for your help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppass
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trace DHCP - Help!

Can someone help me with commands to trace DHCP on an HP_UX box? Thanks! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nuGuy
0 Replies

5. HP-UX

how to trace the logs

Hi, Last day, In one of our unix boxes there was an issue wherein few of the directory structures were missing / got deleted. Is there any way by which we can find how it happened, I mean by going through syslog / which user had run what command? Thanks for your help (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek_damodaran
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to supress the trace

Hi I am working in ksh and getting the trace after trying to remove the file which in some cases does not exist: $ my_script loadfirm.dta.master: No such file or directory The code inside the script which produces this trace is the following: ] || rm ${FILE}.master >> /dev/null for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to trace root's activity log

What is the command to check the activity of all users with root access on a Unix platform? Right now, there is like about 20 users with root and someone accidentally made some changes to the crontab and I need to trace which user did it. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hedkandi
5 Replies

8. Solaris

Migration of system having UFS root FS with zones root to ZFS root FS

Hi All After downloading ZFS documentation from oracle site, I am able to successfully migrate UFS root FS without zones to ZFS root FS. But in case of UFS root file system with zones , I am successfully able to migrate global zone to zfs root file system but zone are still in UFS root file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sb200
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with trace file

Hi, I am an oracle DBA pretty new to unix. We had one of the filesystems full and a colleague cleared some stuffs to create more space. I just checked now and found there is now more space available. How do i find exactly what he cleared? We have oracle database installed and its a RAC... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dollypee
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stack Trace

Hi All Thought it would be kind of fun to implement a stack trace for a shell script that calls functions within a sub shell. This is for bash under Linux and probably not portable - #! /bin/bash error_exit() { echo "=======================" echo $1 echo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: steadyonabix
4 Replies
pmvarrun(8)							     pam_mount							       pmvarrun(8)

Name
       pmvarrun - updates /var/run/pam_mount/user

Syntax
       pmvarrun -u user [options]

Description
       A  separate  program is needed so that /var/run/pam_mount/user may be created with a pam_mount-specific security context (otherwise SELinux
       policy will conflict with gdm, which also creates file in /var/run).

pmvarrun is flexible and can run in a number of different security setups:

root-root
       When pmvarrun is invoked as root, /var/run/pam_mount's permission settings can be as strict as needed; usually (0755,root,root) is  a  good
       pick  as  it  gives  users the debug control over their refcount. Refcount files are given their respective owners (chowned to the user who
       logs in).

user-user
       When invoked as the user who logs in, /var/run/pam_mount needs appropriate permissions to create a file, which means the write bit must	be
       set. It is also highly suggested to set the sticky bit in this case, so other users do not tamper with your refcount.

root-user
       Some  programs or login helpers incorrectly call the PAM stack in a way that the login phase is done as root and the logout phase as a nor-
       mal user.  Nevertheless, pmvarrun supports this, and the same permissions as in root-root can be used. While the user may not  be  able	to
       unlink his file from /var/run/pam_mount, it will be truncated to indicate the same state.

Options
       --help, -h
	      Display help.

--user user, -u user
	      User to handle, must be a valid username.

--operation number, -o number
	      Increase volume count by number.

-d     Turn on debugging.

Files
       /var/run/pam_mount/user

Author
       This  manpage  was originally written by Bastian Kleineidam <calvin@debian.org> for the Debian distribution of libpam-mount but may be used
       by others.

See /usr/share/doc/packages/libpam-mount/copyright for the list of original authors of pam_mount.

pam_mount							    2008-10-08							       pmvarrun(8)