Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to get lines having a variable in perl? Post 302843783 by twistedpair on Thursday 15th of August 2013 04:20:39 AM
Old 08-15-2013
Thanks, i got it where i missed. I just did chomp of the variable. Now its working. I think when i extracted $ra new line character also came. So i removed it. It took almost 4 hours for to do experiments & figure out.
Code:
$ra = substr ($lastword,$n);
print "$lastword";
print "$ra";
chomp($ra);
# printing the iop corresponding to real address
open (TST, '<psi.txt');

while ( $iop = <TST>)
{ # chomp;
  if( $iop =~ /$ra/ ){
      print "$iop";
      last;
  }
}

Last edited by Franklin52; 08-15-2013 at 05:44 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

lines from file to variable

I have a text file that contains a word on each line. I want to be able to use each word as a variable to be put into a URL. I have been trying to put together a for loop but I am not having much luck. So basically all I am trying to do is for line in ~/desktop/test.txt do curl -s... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: iCONAN
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple variable in a variable in Perl

Hi All, I am trying to convert the below Csh while loop into Perl while loop but the problem is that in this csh script, i have 2 variables inside a variable -> $count is a variable {SB$count} as a whole is another variable. Csh is able to assign values to such variable like the below but i do... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Perl] Insert lines before lines.

Hi, New problem, or challenge as they prefer in the US. I need to insert some lines in a file before certain other lines. To make it more clear: Original file: aaaa bbbbb ccccc ddddd bbbbb fffff ggggg Now I want to insert the line "NEW_NEW_NEW" when I match "fffff", but I want... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejdv
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

combine two perl lines into a single perl command

Hi Everyone, i have a string 00:44:40 so: $tmp=~ s/://gi; $tmp=~s/({2})({2})({2})/$1*3600+$2*60+$3/e; the output is 2680. Any way to combine this two lines into a single line? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append variable to only certain lines

Hi There! I'm trying to write a shell script which generates a random hexadecimal number and then appends it to the end of lines XX onwards of a certain file. XX is determined by a certain string on the previous line. Thus for example, if the input file is I search for the string... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: orno
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl - how can we name a variable base on value of another variable

Hey all, perl - how can we name a variable base on the value of another variable? for example in ksh/bash we do : export c="100" export x`echo $c`=2000 echo $x100 x100=2000 is it possible to do something similar for perl? I already tried many ways but nothing is working. I am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cacm1975
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to break up a lines in a variable

I was trying to figure out a way to split along a CR in a variable. In the code below, the result for CPU returns CPU=`cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep -i 'model name' |awk -F ':' '{ print $2}'` for echo $CPU AMD Phenom(tm) 9850 Quad-Core Processor AMD Phenom(tm) 9850 Quad-Core Processor... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: baggins2000
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl XML, find matching condition and grep lines and put the lines somewhere else

Hi, my xml files looks something like this <Instance Name="New York"> <Description></Description> <Instance Name="A"> <Description></Description> <PropertyValue Key="false" Name="Building A" /> </Instance> <Instance Name="B"> ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tententen
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Perl] Split lines into array - variable line items - variable no of lines.

Hi, I have the following lines that I would like to see in an array for easy comparisons and printing: Example 1: field1,field2,field3,field4,field5 value1,value2,value3,value4,value5Example 2: field1,field3,field4,field2,field5,field6,field7... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejdv
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl help - how to assign output of perl to variable

Hi, guys, i have a script i inherited from a coworker but i'm not perl savy. The script works but i would like it to work better. I want to run this command ./ciscomgrtest.pl -r "show version" -h hosts.router and have the script goto each router in the hosts.router file and run the command... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: whipuras
2 Replies
PURITY(6)                                                          Games Manual                                                          PURITY(6)

NAME
purity - a general purpose purity test SYNOPSIS
/usr/games/purity [ flags ] [ testname ] DESCRIPTION
Purity is an interactive purity test program with a simple, user interface and datafile format. For each test, questions are printed to the your terminal, and you are prompted for an answer to the current question. At a prompt, these are your choices: y Answer "yes" to the question. n Answer "no" to the question. b Backup one question, if you answered it incorrectly, or someone is watching you take the test, and you don't (or do) want to admit a different answer. r Redraw the current question. q Quit the test, and print the current score. ? Print a help screen for the current prompt. k Kill a section of the test. This skips all the questions of the test until the next subject heading. a Toggle answer mode between real answers and obfuscated answers. Real answers print "yes" and "no", while obfuscated answers are "Maybe" and "maybe". Obfuscated answers are preferred if you are shy, and don't want people to be able to read your answers over your shoulder as you take the test. d Toggle dERanGe output. s Print your current score on the test you are taking. l Toggle score logging. At the end of the test, your score is printed out. For most purity tests, lower scores denote more "experience" of the test material. FLAGS
These are the command line flags for the test. -a Show real answers (i.e. "yes" and "no") instead of obfuscated ones (i.e. "Maybe" and "maybe") as you answer the questions. -d PrINt THe tESt in DerANgeD pRInT. -f Take the test in fast mode. Only the questions are printed, and not any other text blocks, like the introdution, subject headers, and the conclusion. -l Take the test without having your score logged. -p Print the test without prompting for answers. This is useful for making hard copies of the tests without having to edit out the prompts by hand. -r Decrypt the test using the Rot 13 algorithm. This is done as a form of "protection", such that if you read a rot13 test and it offends you, it's your own fault. -z zoom through more prompts in large text blocks. The default is to prompt the user for more when a screenful of text has been printed without any user input. DATAFILE FORMAT
The format of the datafiles is a very simple format, intended such that new tests can quickly and easily be converted to run with the test. There are four types of text in a purity test datafile. Each type is contained in a bracket type of punctuation. The definitions are as follows: the styles of text blocks are: { plain text block } [ subject header ] ( test question ) and < conclusion > Plain text blocks are printed out character for character. Subject headers are preceded by their subject numbers, starting at 1, and then printed as text blocks. Questions are preceded by their numbers, and then prompt the user to answer the question, keeping track of the user's current score. Conclusions first calculate and print the user's score for the test, then print out the conclusion as a text block. If you wish to include any of the various bracket punctuation in your text, the backslash ("") character will escape the next character. To print a question with parentheses, you would use the following format: (have you ever written a purity test (like this one)?) the output would be this: 1. have you ever written a purity test (like this one)? and then it would have asked the user for her/his answer. For a generic datafile, use the "sample" datafile for the test. FILES
/var/games/purity.scores the score logfile /usr/share/games/purity/* test data files AUTHOR
Eric Lechner, lechner@ucscb.ucsc.edu 18 December 1989 PURITY(6)