Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Memory usage in AIX server
Operating Systems AIX Memory usage in AIX server Post 302843466 by rbatte1 on Tuesday 13th of August 2013 11:54:35 AM
Old 08-13-2013
Don't panic!

AIX is very good at keeping memory full with all sorts of things it believes will be useful. If something is not needed now, there is no reason to actually scrub memory unless another process is allocated that address to work in. I used to worry about this too. It can (as you suggest) be used for all sorts of caching. It is faster than reading from the disk, but there is no point in paging it out, so it just gets lost if not used. When a process then needs the data, it is just read from disk as normal, which is no different than paging back in (unless you have wildly different performance disks) but to use the paging, it would have to keep a record that it existed etc., so it's more effort to page this kind of thing.

Basically, if the server is not paging, then it is fine. Smilie

There used to be a rule of thumb for double paging space for your RAM. Then that changed (even less formally if that's possible) to double RAM for the first 2Gb, then 1Gb for the rest of your RAM allocation.

Of course, what you really need to estimate is the total space you will need and balance the cost against the speed of real memory. Beyond what you can justify paying for, allocate paging to cover it, and a bit more to be sure. Very inexact though. Have some sort of monitor that check paging space, either have a regular look with lsps -a or vmstat, sar or other tools just to keep a check on how much you are really using.

If you are paranoid about crashing the server, allocate lots extra paging space, but don't try to grow /dev/hd6. If you succeed, you will never be able extract it without considerable effort. Smilie

If you allocate 2Gb chunks as paging00, paging01, paging02 ....etc., then when your service is settled, you can work out how many to remove.

If you can space a disk, create a dedicated VG for them in the short term, rather than filling up rootvg and making DR recovery a problem.

I hope that this helps,

Robin
Liverpool/Blackburn
UK

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Memory Usage in AIX

Hi All, I have a question, can you guys please help me by giving your valuable suggestons: I am using AIX 5L, running oracle 7 version. I need to increase the oracle memory to 40 MB more. Currently Oracle occupies 260M. I wanted to know whether I can increase the memory without any problem.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kollam68
1 Replies

2. AIX

Memory Usage in AIX

Hi All, I have a question, can you guys please help me by giving your valuable suggestons: I am using AIX 5L, running oracle 7 version. I need to increase the oracle memory to 40 MB more. Currently Oracle occupies 260M. I wanted to know whether I can increase the memory without any problem.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kollam68
3 Replies

3. AIX

High memory usage in AIX 5.1

Hi, We have AIX 5.1 machine of RAM 8 GB and paging space is 8GB. we are getting high memory usage of almost 99%.Can anybody please help in this ? Partial vmstat o/p kthr memory ----- ----------- r b avm fre 2 1 278727 1143 There is no paging issue.Becoz in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayakumarrt
5 Replies

4. AIX

Memory usage on AIX

How to check the memory usage on AIX by various processes? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aajmani
1 Replies

5. HP-UX

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and logical volume usage

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and I want to know CPU usage above X% and contiue Y times and memory usage above X % and contiue Y times my final destination is monitor process logical volume usage above X % and number of Logical voluage above can I not to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
3 Replies

6. AIX

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage,memory usage,CPU usage,network..?

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage, memory usage, CPU usage, network usage, storage usage? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
3 Replies

7. AIX

AIX 5.3 Physical Memory usage

Hi, I have AIX 5.3TL8 two node cluster using HACMP and have 10g database using RAW devices. I am seeing gradual increase in comp% memory everyday and it reaches 100% and evicts the node, we had 4 evictions in 40days. I am pasting vmstat and vmo output, anyone seen this issue? ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: navin7386
5 Replies

8. AIX

AIX memory usage always high

hi, I want to ask , my AIX 6.1 is always used about 97% memory. Is this normal ? or any command can free up memory like Linux ? thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: virusxx
1 Replies

9. AIX

Regarding AIX Memory Utilization usage calculation

Hello, Am working on small program that used to calculate the memory usage of AIX servers. Am using svmon -G command to get the memory usage. For example, consider the following output. $ svmon -G size inuse free pin virtual mmode memory ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: maruthu
9 Replies

10. AIX

AIX memory usage by processes

Hi, i have 2 identical web servers using AIX. I use nmon analyser to check their performance. The server A exceeds 20% memory usage for system, 5% for cache and the rest 75% for processes. While, it uses 4% of Paging Space. The server B exceeds 20% for system, 45% for cache and 35% for processes.... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: dim
24 Replies
MEMORY(3T)																MEMORY(3T)

NAME
_TIFFmalloc, _TIFFrealloc, _TIFFfree, _TIFFmemset, _TIFFmemcpy, _TIFFmemcmp, - memory management-related functions for use with TIFF files SYNOPSIS
#include <tiffio.h> tdata_t _TIFFmalloc(tsize_t); tdata_t _TIFFrealloc(tdata_t, tsize_t); void _TIFFfree(tdata_t); void _TIFFmemset(tdata_t, int, tsize_t); void _TIFFmemcpy(tdata_t, const tdata_t, tsize_t); int _TIFFmemcmp(const tdata_t, const tdata_t, tsize_t); DESCRIPTION
These routines are provided for writing portable software that uses libtiff; they hide any memory-management related issues, such as deal- ing with segmented architectures found on 16-bit machines. _TIFFmalloc and _TIFFrealloc are used to dynamically allocate and reallocate memory used by libtiff; such as memory passed into the I/O routines. Memory allocated through these interfaces is released back to the system using the _TIFFfree routine. Memory allocated through one of the above interfaces can be set to a known value using _TIFFmemset, copied to another memory location using _TIFFmemcpy, or compared for equality using _TIFFmemcmp. These routines conform to the equivalent ANSI C routines: memset, memcpy, and memcmp, repsectively. DIAGNOSTICS
None. SEE ALSO
libtiff(3T), malloc(3C), memory(3C) October 15, 1995 MEMORY(3T)