Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Tail over rsync data
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Tail over rsync data Post 302843385 by Jotne on Tuesday 13th of August 2013 04:14:03 AM
Old 08-13-2013
I guess that it gets a new file every 5 seconds, and tail -f only follow old file that no more exists.
Try this instead:
tail --follow=name /var/log/yourlogfile

This make tail follow the name of the file, and have no problem when file is overwritten etc

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

using tail -f

Working in HP-UX 10.20. I eventually want to write a bourne shell script to handle the following problem, but for now I am just toying with it at the command line. Here's what I am basically trying to do: tail -f log_X | grep n > log_Y I am doing a tail -f on log_X . Once it sees "n", I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdunavent
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tail??

Hello all, I have search the forum and could not find an answer...Here is what I am trying to do. Every 15 minutes, a script send uptime output to a logfile (dailylog.log), that file contains lines like the one below: 11:21am up 44 days, 19:15, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.03 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: qfwfq
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

tail -f

I am trying to extract a particular line from a.log which keeps appending every sec and output that into a newfile b.log which should append itself with filtered data received from a.log I tried tail -f a.log |grep fail| tee -a b.log nothing in b.log tail -f a.log |grep fail >>b.log ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wannalearn
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

why tail +n not working?

Hello at my home when i try tail +5 emp it works but when i try in my college it doesn't work! what can be the problem any idea? when i type man tail it gives me various options in which it's mentioned that tail +n can also work when you want to display from nth line. But... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: salman4u
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

rsync data corruption

Dear Peoples I am using the following command to transfer the files inbetween two servers, i am using this command in a crontab for doing it in every 1 hour on all days. rsync --stats --archive --verbose --compress --force --rsh=ssh --exclude-from=/root/cfg/mkt_scn.exclude... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thameema
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract data based on match against one column data from a long list data

My input file: data_5 Ali 422 2.00E-45 102/253 140/253 24 data_3 Abu 202 60.00E-45 12/23 140/23 28 data_1 Ahmad 256 7.00E-45 120/235 140/235 22 data_4 Aman 365 8.00E-45 15/65 140/65 20 data_10 Jones 869 9.00E-45 65/253 140/253 18... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining multiple files tail on tail

I have 250 files that have 16 columns each - all numbered as follows stat.1000, stat.1001, stat.1002, stat.1003....stat.1250. I would like to join all 250 of them together tail by tail as follows. For example stat.1000 a b c d e f stat.1001 g h i j k l So that my output... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kayak
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting data from rsync log

Hi I have a daily rsync that runs and i am trying to find a easy way of extracting the start time and end time of the sync and extract the details of how much data was copied. I would like to use this information to see if i can increase the amount of rsyncs that run in a day. so the log... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: treds
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tail +

because the tail +2 on the first line gives me the file name pomga I do not want anything like what I miss tail +2 ejemplo.txt ouput ==> ejemplo.txt <== 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tricampeon81
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rsync Error: rsync: link_stat failed: No such file or directory (2)

I wish to copy all the files & folder under /web/Transfer_Files/data/ on mymac1 (Linux) to remote server mybank.intra.com (Solaris 10) /tmp/ location I am using Ansible tool synchronize module which triggers the unix rsync command as below:rsync --delay-updates -F --compress --archive --rsh=ssh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
2 Replies
git-annex-shell(1)					      General Commands Manual						git-annex-shell(1)

NAME
git-annex-shell - Restricted login shell for git-annex only SSH access SYNOPSIS
git-annex-shell [-c] command [params ...] DESCRIPTION
git-annex-shell is a restricted shell, similar to git-shell, which can be used as a login shell for SSH accounts. Since its syntax is identical to git-shell's, it can be used as a drop-in replacement anywhere git-shell is used. For example it can be used as a user's restricted login shell. COMMANDS
Any command not listed below is passed through to git-shell. Note that the directory parameter should be an absolute path, otherwise it is assumed to be relative to the user's home directory. Also the first "/~/" or "/~user/" is expanded to the specified home directory. configlist directory This outputs a subset of the git configuration, in the same form as git config --list inannex directory [key ...] This checks if all specified keys are present in the annex, and exits zero if so. dropkey directory [key ...] This drops the annexed data for the specified keys. recvkey directory key This runs rsync in server mode to receive the content of a key, and stores the content in the annex. sendkey directory key This runs rsync in server mode to transfer out the content of a key. commit directory This commits any staged changes to the git-annex branch. It also runs the annex-content hook. OPTIONS
Most options are the same as in git-annex. The ones specific to git-annex-shell are: --uuid=UUID git-annex uses this to specify the UUID of the repository it was expecting git-annex-shell to access, as a sanity check. HOOK
After content is received or dropped from the repository by git-annex-shell, it runs a hook, .git/hooks/annex-content (or hooks/annex-con- tent on a bare repository). The hook is not currently passed any information about what changed. ENVIRONMENT
GIT_ANNEX_SHELL_READONLY If set, disallows any command that could modify the repository. GIT_ANNEX_SHELL_LIMITED If set, disallows running git-shell to handle unknown commands. SEE ALSO
git-annex(1) git-shell(1) AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> <http://git-annex.branchable.com/> git-annex-shell(1)