Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Back ticks and $()
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Back ticks and $() Post 302843196 by ahamed101 on Monday 12th of August 2013 10:32:51 AM
Old 08-12-2013
Shouldn't you escape the single quotes around $VAL?

Code:
\'$VAL\'

--ahamed

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Ticks in seconds.

Hello all, Is there any thumb rule or aproximation of the equivalence in second of one tick? Thank you in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mig28mx
1 Replies

2. AIX

back to back printing in UNIX

Hi , Can you suggest me how to back to back printing in UNIX? Is there any way? Kindly advise. Regards Vijaya Amirtha Raj (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amirthraj_12
3 Replies

3. IP Networking

Back-to-Back Connection using HBAs

Hi every body, Is it possible to connect two servers Back-to-Back (Point-to-Point) using HBA adapters & using Fiber. Note it is direct connection & there is no switches between the servers. I'm concern about using HBA adapters, it is possible or not. Thanks in advance. :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aldowsary
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script problem $( vs ticks [`]

ok so, I recently started using $(echo one two three) to execute commands in scripts instead of using `echo one two three`. This method works wonderfully on ubuntu. However, it doesn't seem to work on other unix systems, i.e redhat/sun sun solaris. I really hate to go back to the ticks "`"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variable to Expression in back ticks.

Hi, In my perl script I want to check whether *.csv files exist and take the count . Below is the code: $path = “/home/usr/jan/myfiles” my $File_Count = `ls *.csv | wc -l `; # Checks in the current directory #Works fine if files exists. my $File_Count = `ls $path/*.csv | wc -l `; # I need... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jisha
2 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

I'm back

Hi all, I used to post here years ago, and was a moderator, my old username: zazzybob. Anyway, after a few years away focusing on my career, I'm back and keener than ever to get involved in the unix.com community again. I'm looking forward to getting back into the swing of things, helping... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: tokiwinter
11 Replies
drv_usectohz(9F)					   Kernel Functions for Drivers 					  drv_usectohz(9F)

NAME
drv_usectohz - convert microseconds to clock ticks SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/ddi.h> clock_t drv_usectohz(clock_t microsecs); INTERFACE LEVEL
Architecture independent level 1 (DDI/DKI). PARAMETERS
microsecs The number of microseconds to convert. DESCRIPTION
drv_usectohz() converts a length of time expressed in microseconds to a number of system clock ticks. The time arguments to timeout(9F) and delay(9F) are expressed in clock ticks. drv_usectohz() is a portable interface for drivers to make calls to timeout(9F) and delay(9F) and remain binary compatible should the driver object file be used on a system with a different clock speed (a different number of ticks in a second). RETURN VALUES
The value returned is the number of system clock ticks equivalent to the microsecs argument. No error value is returned. If the clock tick equivalent to microsecs is too large to be represented as a clock_t, then the maximum clock_t value will be returned. CONTEXT
drv_usectohz() can be called from user or interrupt context. SEE ALSO
delay(9F), drv_hztousec(9F), timeout(9F) Writing Device Drivers SunOS 5.10 12 Nov 1992 drv_usectohz(9F)