Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers find Search - Find files not matching a pattern Post 302843174 by rbatte1 on Monday 12th of August 2013 09:19:21 AM
Old 08-12-2013
Hello and welcome kilobyter,

Your question also needs to clarify what logic do you want?

If you want to exclude files that are both user AAA and group BBB:-
Code:
find . ! -user AAA -o ! -group BBB

If you want to exclude files that are either user AAA or group BBB:-
Code:
find . ! -user AAA -a ! -group BBB

It all looks a bit backwards, but that's because of the negation you want. In the first, this would list a file that had owner CCC or group DDD because it doesn't matches one of the two criteria (i.e. not owner AAA or group BBB) Consider the four files:-
Code:
-rwxrwxrwx 1 AAA BBB 0 Aug 12 14:00 File1
-rwxrwxrwx 1 CCC BBB 0 Aug 12 14:00 File2
-rwxrwxrwx 1 AAA DDD 0 Aug 12 14:00 File3
-rwxrwxrwx 1 CCC DDD 0 Aug 12 14:00 File4

Which do you want?

If you want to see File2, File3 & File4, then use the "not or not" form.
If you want to see File4 only, use the "not and not" second form.

Does this help?

Robin
This User Gave Thanks to rbatte1 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to find file name for non matching pattern

Hi, I want to list only the file names which do not contain a specific keyword or search string. OS: Solaris Also is there any way ; through the same script I can save the output of search to a CSV (comma seperated) so that the file can be used for inventory purpose. Any assistance will... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sujoy101
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find files matching a pattern

Hi, I am writing a BASH shell script. I would like to count all the files in the CURRENT directory matching a specific pattern. Could someone suggest the best/simplest way to do this. I have thought of these solutions (for simplicity the pattern is all files starting with A): ls -1 *A | wc -l... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: msb65
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find files NOT matching name pattern

Hi, I have following files in my directory: /TESTDONTDEL> ls -alt total 14 drwxr-xr-x 2 oracle dba 1024 May 15 06:30 . -rw-r--r-- 1 oracle dba 40 May 15 06:30 exception.txt -rw-r--r-- 1 oracle dba 19 May 15 06:22 ful_1234_test1.txt -rw-r--r-- 1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagarparadkar
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using find command to search a pattern in group of files

Hi i am having a group of *.csh files under parent directory. Now i want to search a particular pattern in these group of *.csh files(suppose i need to search a pattern ABC - proj ). Can anyone please tell me how to do it using find command. Thanks in advance sarbjit (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

To find files by matching a pattern in file name

Hi all, I have to check whether certain files exist using a if statement. I have to check this by matching a pattern of filename: e.g. if ] This statement should be "true" if any files like test.dat11, test.dat22 etc are present in the source dir. However, this statement is checking only... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sweety123
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find files matching a pattern and zip

Hi, I want to find all directories matching given pattern in current directory and zip those files. I am trying to do somethign like this. But it is not working. for FNAME in $(find . -type d | grep './\{2\}-\{2\}$'); do zip -r MatchedFiles.zip $FNAME rm -fr $FNAME done ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: james423
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help me to find files in a shell script with any matching pattern

Hi friends.. I have many dirs in my working directory. Every dir have thousands of files (.jsp, .java, .xml..., etc). So I am working with an script to find every file recursively within those directories and subdirectories ending with .jsp or .java which contains inside of it, the the pattern... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hnux
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find all matching words in text according to pattern

Hello dear Unix shell professionals, I am desperately trying to get a seemingly simple logic to work. I need to extract words from a text line and save them in an array. The text can look anything like that: aaaaaaa${important}xxxxxxxx${important2}ooooooo${importantstring3}...I am handicapped... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Grünspanix
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find pattern suffix matching pattern

Hi, I am trying to get a result out of this but fails please help. Have two files /tmp/1 & /tmp/hosts. /tmp/1 IP=123.456.789.01 WAS_HOSTNAME=abcdefgh.was.tb.dsdc /tmp/hosts 123.456.789.01 I want this result in /tmp/hosts if hostname is already there dont want duplicate entry. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajeshwebspere
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find: filename in every subdirectory matching a pattern

Hi, I have multiple directories built in following manner /app/red/tmp /app/blue/upd /app/blue/tmp /app/green/tmp /app/red/upd /app/green/upd I have filenames having pattern ONE.XXX.dat TWO.ZZZ.dat and so on across the folders listed above My objective is to list all filenames of a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wahi80
4 Replies
AutoSplit(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					    AutoSplit(3pm)

NAME
AutoSplit - split a package for autoloading SYNOPSIS
autosplit($file, $dir, $keep, $check, $modtime); autosplit_lib_modules(@modules); DESCRIPTION
This function will split up your program into files that the AutoLoader module can handle. It is used by both the standard perl libraries and by the MakeMaker utility, to automatically configure libraries for autoloading. The "autosplit" interface splits the specified file into a hierarchy rooted at the directory $dir. It creates directories as needed to reflect class hierarchy, and creates the file autosplit.ix. This file acts as both forward declaration of all package routines, and as timestamp for the last update of the hierarchy. The remaining three arguments to "autosplit" govern other options to the autosplitter. $keep If the third argument, $keep, is false, then any pre-existing "*.al" files in the autoload directory are removed if they are no longer part of the module (obsoleted functions). $keep defaults to 0. $check The fourth argument, $check, instructs "autosplit" to check the module currently being split to ensure that it includes a "use" specification for the AutoLoader module, and skips the module if AutoLoader is not detected. $check defaults to 1. $modtime Lastly, the $modtime argument specifies that "autosplit" is to check the modification time of the module against that of the "autosplit.ix" file, and only split the module if it is newer. $modtime defaults to 1. Typical use of AutoSplit in the perl MakeMaker utility is via the command-line with: perl -e 'use AutoSplit; autosplit($ARGV[0], $ARGV[1], 0, 1, 1)' Defined as a Make macro, it is invoked with file and directory arguments; "autosplit" will split the specified file into the specified directory and delete obsolete ".al" files, after checking first that the module does use the AutoLoader, and ensuring that the module is not already currently split in its current form (the modtime test). The "autosplit_lib_modules" form is used in the building of perl. It takes as input a list of files (modules) that are assumed to reside in a directory lib relative to the current directory. Each file is sent to the autosplitter one at a time, to be split into the directory lib/auto. In both usages of the autosplitter, only subroutines defined following the perl __END__ token are split out into separate files. Some routines may be placed prior to this marker to force their immediate loading and parsing. Multiple packages As of version 1.01 of the AutoSplit module it is possible to have multiple packages within a single file. Both of the following cases are supported: package NAME; __END__ sub AAA { ... } package NAME::option1; sub BBB { ... } package NAME::option2; sub BBB { ... } package NAME; __END__ sub AAA { ... } sub NAME::option1::BBB { ... } sub NAME::option2::BBB { ... } DIAGNOSTICS
"AutoSplit" will inform the user if it is necessary to create the top-level directory specified in the invocation. It is preferred that the script or installation process that invokes "AutoSplit" have created the full directory path ahead of time. This warning may indicate that the module is being split into an incorrect path. "AutoSplit" will warn the user of all subroutines whose name causes potential file naming conflicts on machines with drastically limited (8 characters or less) file name length. Since the subroutine name is used as the file name, these warnings can aid in portability to such systems. Warnings are issued and the file skipped if "AutoSplit" cannot locate either the __END__ marker or a "package Name;"-style specification. "AutoSplit" will also emit general diagnostics for inability to create directories or files. AUTHOR
"AutoSplit" is maintained by the perl5-porters. Please direct any questions to the canonical mailing list. Anything that is applicable to the CPAN release can be sent to its maintainer, though. Author and Maintainer: The Perl5-Porters <perl5-porters@perl.org> Maintainer of the CPAN release: Steffen Mueller <smueller@cpan.org> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
This package has been part of the perl core since the first release of perl5. It has been released separately to CPAN so older installations can benefit from bug fixes. This package has the same copyright and license as the perl core: Copyright (C) 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 by Larry Wall and others All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of either: a) the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 1, or (at your option) any later version, or b) the "Artistic License" which comes with this Kit. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See either the GNU General Public License or the Artistic License for more details. You should have received a copy of the Artistic License with this Kit, in the file named "Artistic". If not, I'll be glad to provide one. You should also have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program in the file named "Copying". If not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA or visit their web page on the internet at http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html. For those of you that choose to use the GNU General Public License, my interpretation of the GNU General Public License is that no Perl script falls under the terms of the GPL unless you explicitly put said script under the terms of the GPL yourself. Furthermore, any object code linked with perl does not automatically fall under the terms of the GPL, provided such object code only adds definitions of subroutines and variables, and does not otherwise impair the resulting interpreter from executing any standard Perl script. I consider linking in C subroutines in this manner to be the moral equivalent of defining subroutines in the Perl language itself. You may sell such an object file as proprietary provided that you provide or offer to provide the Perl source, as specified by the GNU General Public License. (This is merely an alternate way of specifying input to the program.) You may also sell a binary produced by the dumping of a running Perl script that belongs to you, provided that you provide or offer to provide the Perl source as specified by the GPL. (The fact that a Perl interpreter and your code are in the same binary file is, in this case, a form of mere aggregation.) This is my interpretation of the GPL. If you still have concerns or difficulties understanding my intent, feel free to contact me. Of course, the Artistic License spells all this out for your protection, so you may prefer to use that. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 AutoSplit(3pm)