Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Variables in an awk command
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Variables in an awk command Post 302843041 by MadeInGermany on Sunday 11th of August 2013 10:09:46 PM
Old 08-11-2013
Why do you store the shell command in a variable first?
It makes things complicated.
Directly run it, and becomes
Code:
awk 'NR=='$reportline' {$NF=$NF" '$EmonUser'"} 1' $customer.group

or the better readable
Code:
awk 'NR==L {$NF=$NF" "U} 1' L=$reportline U=$EmonUser $customer.group

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk and Variables

Hi, I have some files in metrica (assume a pre-defined format) which i need to process and have some values in a .csv file. The script that does this, part of which is: procMetricaOMData() { host=$1 fileIN=$2 fileOUT=$3 $CATCMD $fileIN | \ awk -f... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepak4you
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign a command line argument and a unix command to awk variables

Hi , I have a piece of code ...wherein I need to assign the following ... 1) A command line argument to a variable e.g origCount=ARGV 2) A unix command to a variable e.g result=`wc -l testFile.txt` in my awk shell script When I do this : print "origCount" origCount --> I get the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sweta_doshi
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using variables in AWK

Hi, I'm pretty new to AWK and was wondering if someone could let me know how to execute varibles within an AWK statement. An example is below: NO=6 end=25 awk = 'NR == $NO, NR == $end' file1 > file2 I'm currently attempting to use this within a script but awk seems to read $NO and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chris01010
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using AWK variables.

Hi all, I am new to the forum and Shell Script programming. The problem is: I need to do a script to search all system processes and show me hierarchical way the number of bytes occupied by each of the regions of the memory map of each process. Today I got to show me the number of regions in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cougar_rea
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command in script gives error while same awk command at prompt runs fine: Why?

Hello all, Here is what my bash script does: sums number columns, saves the tot in new column, outputs if tot >= threshold val: > cat getnon0file.sh #!/bin/bash this="getnon0file.sh" USAGE=$this" InFile="xyz.38" Min="0.05" # awk '{sum=0; for(n=2; n<=NF; n++){sum+=$n};... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: catalys
4 Replies

6. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Variables within awk

Hi, I'm having trouble getting awk to read a variable with spaces in it. Input: vendorName="Bob's Steakhouse" awk -F":" '$2 ~ /'$vendorName'/ {print $1}' Purchases.dat Error: awk: $2 ~ /Bob's awk: ^ unterminated regexp The awk command isn't recognizing the entire string. It... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cablephish
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing Shell Variables to an awk command

Hello, I have two files File1 & File2. File1 76 135 136 200 250 345 .... File2 1 24 1 35 1 36 1 72 .... I want to get all the values form File2 corresponding to the range in File 1 and feed it to a program. Is the code below right? Can I pass shell variables to awk in this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gussifinknottle
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh passing to awk multiple dyanamic variables awk -v

Using ksh to call a function which has awk script embedded. It parses a long two element list file, filled with text numbers (I want column 2, beginning no sooner than line 45, that's the only known thing) . It's unknown where to start or end the data collection, dynamic variables will be used. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: highnthemnts
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - Why can't value of awk variables be passed to external functions ?

I wrote a very simple script to understand how to call user-defined functions from within awk after reading this post. function my_func_local { echo "In func $1" } export -f my_func_local echo $1 | awk -F"/" '{for (k=1;k<=NF;k++) { if ($k == "a" ) { system("my_local_func $k") } else{... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreyan32
19 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing awk variables to bash variables

Trying to do so echo "111:222:333" |awk -F: '{system("export TESTO=" $2)}'But it doesn't work (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
2 Replies
FBB::mlm(3bobcat)					      OFoldStream manipulator						 FBB::mlm(3bobcat)

NAME
FBB::mlm - Manipulator modifying left margins of OFoldStream objects SYNOPSIS
#include <bobcat/ofoldstream> or #include <bobcat/ofoldstreambuf> Linking option: -lbobcat DESCRIPTION
The mlm class implements a manipulator that can be inserted into OFoldStream objects to modify the stream's left margin by a requested amount. The request cannot result in a negative left margin value. If a negative left margin would be the arithmetic result of the request then left margin 0 will silently be used. Depending on the tab-setting of the OFoldStream the inserted value represents the number of blank space characters or the number of tab-characters that will be added to the left margin. The request will be processed at the next newline character or std::flush or std::endl manipulator that is inserted into the stream. If a line is still empty once an mlm object and a flush manipulator are inserted into the stream then the new left margin will be effective at the next word inserted into that line (cf., the example section below) A bad_cast exception is thrown when the manipulator is inserted into an ostream that is not using a OFoldStreambuf buffer. NAMESPACE
FBB All constructors, members, operators and manipulators, mentioned in this man-page, are defined in the namespace FBB. INHERITS FROM
- CONSTRUCTOR
o mlm(int addValue): The standard copy constructor is available. MEMBER FUNCTIONS
There are no public or protected member functions in this class. EXAMPLE
#include <iostream> #include <bobcat/ofoldstream> using namespace std; using namespace FBB; int main() { OFoldStream out(cout, 0, 80); out << "hello world (left margin is 0)" << mlm(4) << " " "this uses a 4 character wide left margin " << mlm(-10) << flush << "left margin -6 changed to 0, active on this line "; return 0; } FILES
bobcat/mlm - defines the class interface SEE ALSO
bobcat(7), manipulators(3bobcat), lm(3bobcat), ofoldstream(3bobcat) BUGS
None Reported. DISTRIBUTION FILES
o bobcat_3.01.00-x.dsc: detached signature; o bobcat_3.01.00-x.tar.gz: source archive; o bobcat_3.01.00-x_i386.changes: change log; o libbobcat1_3.01.00-x_*.deb: debian package holding the libraries; o libbobcat1-dev_3.01.00-x_*.deb: debian package holding the libraries, headers and manual pages; o http://sourceforge.net/projects/bobcat: public archive location; BOBCAT
Bobcat is an acronym of `Brokken's Own Base Classes And Templates'. COPYRIGHT
This is free software, distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL). AUTHOR
Frank B. Brokken (f.b.brokken@rug.nl). libbobcat1-dev_3.01.00-x.tar.gz 2005-2012 FBB::mlm(3bobcat)