Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Variables in an awk command
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Variables in an awk command Post 302842827 by magicjoe on Saturday 10th of August 2013 02:23:33 PM
Old 08-10-2013
Variables in an awk command

I am scripting a process where usernames are added to the end of a specific line in a file.

using this:

Code:
awk 'NR==1{$NF=$NF" TEXT"}1' myfile

works, and then I would use
Code:
> tempfile && mv tempfile myfile

HOWEVER. Being that this is to be scripted, I am trying to do something like:

Code:
awk: NR=="${chosenline}"{$NF=$NF" ${enteredtext}"}1

when I run through the script like this, my variables are populated, and in the awk command, however the NF's are gone. How can I get the NF value to work as it does without variables, but work when there are variables?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by magicjoe; 08-10-2013 at 04:30 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk and Variables

Hi, I have some files in metrica (assume a pre-defined format) which i need to process and have some values in a .csv file. The script that does this, part of which is: procMetricaOMData() { host=$1 fileIN=$2 fileOUT=$3 $CATCMD $fileIN | \ awk -f... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepak4you
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign a command line argument and a unix command to awk variables

Hi , I have a piece of code ...wherein I need to assign the following ... 1) A command line argument to a variable e.g origCount=ARGV 2) A unix command to a variable e.g result=`wc -l testFile.txt` in my awk shell script When I do this : print "origCount" origCount --> I get the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sweta_doshi
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using variables in AWK

Hi, I'm pretty new to AWK and was wondering if someone could let me know how to execute varibles within an AWK statement. An example is below: NO=6 end=25 awk = 'NR == $NO, NR == $end' file1 > file2 I'm currently attempting to use this within a script but awk seems to read $NO and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chris01010
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using AWK variables.

Hi all, I am new to the forum and Shell Script programming. The problem is: I need to do a script to search all system processes and show me hierarchical way the number of bytes occupied by each of the regions of the memory map of each process. Today I got to show me the number of regions in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cougar_rea
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command in script gives error while same awk command at prompt runs fine: Why?

Hello all, Here is what my bash script does: sums number columns, saves the tot in new column, outputs if tot >= threshold val: > cat getnon0file.sh #!/bin/bash this="getnon0file.sh" USAGE=$this" InFile="xyz.38" Min="0.05" # awk '{sum=0; for(n=2; n<=NF; n++){sum+=$n};... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: catalys
4 Replies

6. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Variables within awk

Hi, I'm having trouble getting awk to read a variable with spaces in it. Input: vendorName="Bob's Steakhouse" awk -F":" '$2 ~ /'$vendorName'/ {print $1}' Purchases.dat Error: awk: $2 ~ /Bob's awk: ^ unterminated regexp The awk command isn't recognizing the entire string. It... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cablephish
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing Shell Variables to an awk command

Hello, I have two files File1 & File2. File1 76 135 136 200 250 345 .... File2 1 24 1 35 1 36 1 72 .... I want to get all the values form File2 corresponding to the range in File 1 and feed it to a program. Is the code below right? Can I pass shell variables to awk in this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gussifinknottle
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh passing to awk multiple dyanamic variables awk -v

Using ksh to call a function which has awk script embedded. It parses a long two element list file, filled with text numbers (I want column 2, beginning no sooner than line 45, that's the only known thing) . It's unknown where to start or end the data collection, dynamic variables will be used. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: highnthemnts
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - Why can't value of awk variables be passed to external functions ?

I wrote a very simple script to understand how to call user-defined functions from within awk after reading this post. function my_func_local { echo "In func $1" } export -f my_func_local echo $1 | awk -F"/" '{for (k=1;k<=NF;k++) { if ($k == "a" ) { system("my_local_func $k") } else{... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreyan32
19 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing awk variables to bash variables

Trying to do so echo "111:222:333" |awk -F: '{system("export TESTO=" $2)}'But it doesn't work (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
2 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)