Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Compare and contrast Perl v Python Post 302842795 by wisecracker on Saturday 10th of August 2013 10:48:26 AM
Old 08-10-2013
Python is fully interactive by default and one can work from a Python prompt directly.

Just enter
Code:
python<CR>

from a terminal and away you go...

Perl OTOH can be set to an interactive environment by invoking the debugger but I have no serious experience on this language at all; just enter
Code:
perl -de 1<CR>

and you will have an interactive seesion.

Python relies entirely on indentation for correct operation, so beware, do NOT mix say 8 spaces with a tab inside the same indented code piece...

The python error reports, (tracebacks), are IMO excellent...

As I have little or no experience in perl then I can't comment....

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl style i++ in Python

friends Is it possible to implement perl style autoincriment in python? e.g i++ How it can be represented in python Jagan (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jaganadh
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl to Python

Friends How to convert this perl notation to Python ${$$hashptr{$sys_Id}}{$doc_Id} = $docstr; Jagan (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaganadh
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Simple Perl/Python Script

I have the following problem, which I need done in Perl/ or Python using Unix/linux filters... 1. You have a very large file, named 'ColCheckMe', tab-delmited, that you are asked to process. You are told that each line in 'ColCheckMe' has 7 columns, and that the values in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Swapnilsagarwal
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Vs Python

Hello all, I am in a bit of dilema here. I want to implement a suite. it involves a lot of text file processing and shell scripts . which one to use perl or python ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: achak01
4 Replies

5. Programming

Python: Compare 2 word lists

Hi. I am trying to write a Python programme that compares two different text files which both contain a list of words. Each word has its own line worda wordb wordc I want to compare textfile 2 with textfile 1, and if there's a word in textfile 2 that is NOT in textfile 1, I want to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bloomy
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl, python, or ? for a particular task

I have a client that needs some data downloaded from a website periodically. The problem is that the data is not available directly (i.e. ftp) and must be accessed via logging in to the site, selecting the data manually, then finally clicking a link to grab the zip file. The site does not have an... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shunk wugga
2 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

[Python] Compare 2 lists

Hello, I'm new to the python programming, and I have a question. I have to write a program that prints a receipt for a restaurant. The input is a list which looks like: product1 product3 product8 .... In the other input file there is a list which looks like: product1 coffee 5,00... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dagendy
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python/Perl/Shell ??

Hi All, I'm confused what to use (Python/Perl/Shell), I have a scenario here wherein i need to process a data which might have millions of records in tabular format, my task is to find the {0,null,NA} in each and every column and also inform the end user that this column has this many values... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil jain
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can someone convert this python script to perl

There is a python script that I would like converted to a perl script. If someone has the time to convert the script I would appreciate it. You can find the script below: reboot-mb8600/reboot-mb8600.py at master . j4m3z0r/reboot-mb8600 . GitHub #!/usr/bin/python ''' A hacky script to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: azdps
1 Replies
DH_PYSUPPORT(1) 						  python-support						   DH_PYSUPPORT(1)

NAME
dh_pysupport - use the python-support framework to handle Python modules SYNOPSIS
dh_pysupport [debhelper options] [-V X.Y] [-X item [...]] [-n] [module dirs ...] DESCRIPTION
dh_pysupport is a debhelper program that will scan your package, detect public modules in /usr/lib/pythonX.Y/site-packages, and move them to the shared Python modules location. It will generate appropriate postinst/prerm scripts to byte-compile modules installed there for all available python versions. It will also look for private Python modules and will byte-compile them with the current Python version. You may have to list the directories containing private Python modules. If a file named debian/pyversions exists, it is used to determine the python versions with which the package can work. Appropriate dependencies on python-support, python and pythonX.Y are put in ${python:Depends}. The ${python:Versions} and ${python:Provides} optional substitution variables are made available as well. OPTIONS
module dirs If your package installs private python modules in non-standard directories, you can make dh_pysupport check those directories by passing their names on the command line. By default, it will check /usr/lib/$PACKAGE, /usr/share/$PACKAGE, /usr/lib/games/$PACKAGE and /usr/share/games/$PACKAGE -n, --noscripts Do not modify postinst/postrm scripts. -d This option is deprecated. -V X.Y Force private modules to be bytecompiled with the specific X.Y python version, regardless of the default python version on the system. -X item, --exclude=item Exclude files that contain "item" anywhere in their filename from being taken into account to generate the python dependency. It also excludes them from byte-compilation. You may use this option multiple times to build up a list of things to exclude. CONFORMS TO
Python policy as of 2006-08-10 SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of python-support but is made to work with debhelper. AUTHORS
Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org>, Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> 1.0.15 2012-06-30 DH_PYSUPPORT(1)