Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Compare and contrast Perl v Python Post 302842775 by figaro on Saturday 10th of August 2013 07:06:30 AM
Old 08-10-2013
If you are using SAS already you are probably better off continuing to use that. There almost nothing SAS cannot do, whatever data you throw at it. It sounds like you have big data and even if you do want to step away from SAS, you would probably want to lean towards Python, because it appeals to the high performance community and are more likely to get help there.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl style i++ in Python

friends Is it possible to implement perl style autoincriment in python? e.g i++ How it can be represented in python Jagan (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jaganadh
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl to Python

Friends How to convert this perl notation to Python ${$$hashptr{$sys_Id}}{$doc_Id} = $docstr; Jagan (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaganadh
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Simple Perl/Python Script

I have the following problem, which I need done in Perl/ or Python using Unix/linux filters... 1. You have a very large file, named 'ColCheckMe', tab-delmited, that you are asked to process. You are told that each line in 'ColCheckMe' has 7 columns, and that the values in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Swapnilsagarwal
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Vs Python

Hello all, I am in a bit of dilema here. I want to implement a suite. it involves a lot of text file processing and shell scripts . which one to use perl or python ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: achak01
4 Replies

5. Programming

Python: Compare 2 word lists

Hi. I am trying to write a Python programme that compares two different text files which both contain a list of words. Each word has its own line worda wordb wordc I want to compare textfile 2 with textfile 1, and if there's a word in textfile 2 that is NOT in textfile 1, I want to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bloomy
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl, python, or ? for a particular task

I have a client that needs some data downloaded from a website periodically. The problem is that the data is not available directly (i.e. ftp) and must be accessed via logging in to the site, selecting the data manually, then finally clicking a link to grab the zip file. The site does not have an... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shunk wugga
2 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

[Python] Compare 2 lists

Hello, I'm new to the python programming, and I have a question. I have to write a program that prints a receipt for a restaurant. The input is a list which looks like: product1 product3 product8 .... In the other input file there is a list which looks like: product1 coffee 5,00... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dagendy
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python/Perl/Shell ??

Hi All, I'm confused what to use (Python/Perl/Shell), I have a scenario here wherein i need to process a data which might have millions of records in tabular format, my task is to find the {0,null,NA} in each and every column and also inform the end user that this column has this many values... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil jain
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can someone convert this python script to perl

There is a python script that I would like converted to a perl script. If someone has the time to convert the script I would appreciate it. You can find the script below: reboot-mb8600/reboot-mb8600.py at master . j4m3z0r/reboot-mb8600 . GitHub #!/usr/bin/python ''' A hacky script to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: azdps
1 Replies
SMP_REP_PHY_SATA(8)						     SMP_UTILS						       SMP_REP_PHY_SATA(8)

NAME
smp_rep_phy_sata - invoke REPORT PHY SATA SMP function SYNOPSIS
smp_rep_phy_sata [--affiliation=AC] [--help] [--hex] [--interface=PARAMS] [--phy=ID] [--raw] [--sa=SAS_ADDR] [--verbose] [--version] [--zero] SMP_DEVICE[,N] DESCRIPTION
Sends a SAS Management Protocol (SMP) REPORT PHY SATA request function to a SMP target. The SMP target is identified by the SMP_DEVICE and the SAS_ADDR. Depending on the interface, the SAS_ADDR may be deduced from the SMP_DEVICE. The mpt interface uses SMP_DEVICE to identify a HBA (an SMP initiator) and needs the additional ,N to differentiate between HBAs if there are multiple present. -a, --affiliation=AC where AC is the affiliation context relative identifier that is placed in request (new in sas2r08). Defaults to 0. -h, --help output the usage message then exit. -H, --hex output the response (less the CRC field) in hexadecimal. -I, --interface=PARAMS interface specific parameters. In this case "interface" refers to the path through the operating system to the SMP initiator. See the smp_utils man page for more information. -p, --phy=ID phy identifier. ID is a value between 0 and 254. Default is 0. -r, --raw send the response (less the CRC field) to stdout in binary. All error messages are sent to stderr. -s, --sa=SAS_ADDR specifies the SAS address of the SMP target device. Typically this is an expander. This option may not be needed if the SMP_DEVICE has the target's SAS address within it. The SAS_ADDR is in decimal but most SAS addresses are shown in hexadecimal. To give a number in hexadecimal either prefix it with '0x' or put a trailing 'h' on it. -v, --verbose increase the verbosity of the output. Can be used multiple times -V, --version print the version string and then exit. -z, --zero zero the Allocated Response Length field in the request. This option also zeros the Request Length field in the request. This is required for strict SAS-1.1 compliance. However this option should not be given in SAS-2 and later; if it is given an abridged response may result. EXAMPLES
See "Examples" section in http://sg.danny.cz/sg/smp_utils.html CONFORMING TO
The SMP REPORT PHY SATA function was introduced in SAS-1 . The "Expander change count", "STP I_T nexus loss occurred" and several other fields were added in SAS-2 . AUTHORS
Written by Douglas Gilbert. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <dgilbert at interlog dot com>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2006-2011 Douglas Gilbert This software is distributed under a FreeBSD license. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PUR- POSE. SEE ALSO
smp_utils, smp_phy_control(smp_utils) smp_utils-0.96 May 2011 SMP_REP_PHY_SATA(8)