Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Bash variable recursion
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash variable recursion Post 302842243 by yifangt on Thursday 8th of August 2013 05:45:22 PM
Old 08-08-2013
Bash variable recursion

Not sure how to ask this question. I want concatenate strings and variable recursively into new variable. For example:
Code:
infile01=/dir/subfolder/file01.txt
infile02=/dir/subfolder/file02.txt
infile03=/dir/subfolder/file03.txt
for i in {01..03}
do
u=${"infile"$i}
echo $u
done

I got error message:
Code:
-bash: ${"infile"$i}: bad substitution

How do I get output?
Code:
/dir/subfolder/file01.txt
/dir/subfolder/file02.txt
/dir/subfolder/file03.txt

Thanks a lot!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

recursion

I'm using the UNIX csh and i wish to use recursion to nav my way up (or down as it is) a given folder. My little test script is called "r" and takes a folder as argv (or $1) #!/bin/tcsh -f set allFiles = `ls -A $argv` cd $argv while ($#allFiles) if (-d... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gsjf
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

recursion too deep

I am running a korn shell script which has a recursive function. The script ran for 117 iterations and ended up with the following error "recursion too deep". what should be done to avert this? Thanks in advance Swamy p.s. I am on UNIX MPRAS V4 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: swamy455
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help Help Help in recursion

Hello every body. I am trying to find the factorial using the following code. But it is giving the syntax error. I tried very much but in vain. Thanks in advance for helping me factorial() { if then y=`expr $1 - 1` x=$(( $1 \* factorial $y ))... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: murtaza
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing variable from bash to perl from bash script

Hi All, I need to pass a variable to perl script from bash script, where in perl i am using if condition. Here is the cmd what i am using in perl FROM_DATE="06/05/2008" TO_DATE="07/05/2008" "perl -ne ' print if ( $_ >="$FROM_DATE" && $_ <= "$TO_DATE" ) ' filename" filename has... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: arsidh
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash and ksh: variable lost in loop in bash?

Hi, I use AIX (ksh) and Linux (bash) servers. I'm trying to do scripts to will run in both ksh and bash, and most of the time it works. But this time I don't get it in bash (I'm more familar in ksh). The goal of my script if to read a "config file" (like "ini" file), and make various report.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: estienne
2 Replies

6. Programming

Recursion

I want to halt a tail recursive function after certain validation. I want to come out of entire recursion without unwinding phase. How can i achieve that . The coding is done in C language. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: joshighanshyam
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash - Variable made of variable

Hello, I am struggling with using variable made using "eval". a=4 eval b$a=20 echo $b$a ??? As shown above, I am trying to call back the variable "bX" assuming I do not know the value of "a". How can I do that? I tried several combinations but nothing worked. Thanks (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jolecanard
10 Replies

8. Programming

C Recursion (explain)

Hi, Question: how come the output is like that? Can explain to me abit. I am learning C. Thanks! #include <stdio.h> #include <string.h> void printit(char line_of_char, int index); int main() { char line_of_char; int index = -1; strcpy(line_of_char, "This is a string."); ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: seede
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

script recursion

Can someone please explain me why the following script calls it self recursively: #!/bin/bash echo Called $0 while this not: #!/bin/bash echo Called $($0) Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: superpointer
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Recursion in a bash script

So the problem I am having is recursion with in bash. Specifically the program ideally takes either the current or provided directory, lists out everything in that directory, if it finds another directory the script should call itself and go into that directory. I managed to get it to dive into the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mistsong1
6 Replies
Tcl_Concat(3tcl)					      Tcl Library Procedures						  Tcl_Concat(3tcl)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Tcl_Concat - concatenate a collection of strings SYNOPSIS
#include <tcl.h> const char * Tcl_Concat(argc, argv) ARGUMENTS
int argc (in) Number of strings. const char *const argv[] (in) Array of strings to concatenate. Must have argc entries. _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Tcl_Concat is a utility procedure used by several of the Tcl commands. Given a collection of strings, it concatenates them together into a single string, with the original strings separated by spaces. This procedure behaves differently than Tcl_Merge, in that the arguments are simply concatenated: no effort is made to ensure proper list structure. However, in most common usage the arguments will all be proper lists themselves; if this is true, then the result will also have proper list structure. Tcl_Concat eliminates leading and trailing white space as it copies strings from argv to the result. If an element of argv consists of nothing but white space, then that string is ignored entirely. This white-space removal was added to make the output of the concat command cleaner-looking. The result string is dynamically allocated using Tcl_Alloc; the caller must eventually release the space by calling Tcl_Free. SEE ALSO
Tcl_ConcatObj KEYWORDS
concatenate, strings Tcl 7.5 Tcl_Concat(3tcl)