Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How the below command works?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How the below command works? Post 302841795 by Just Ice on Thursday 8th of August 2013 03:26:42 AM
Old 08-08-2013
# - remove prefix pattern
% - remove suffix pattern

see discussion on parameter expansion in man bash or man ksh for more info ...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command only works in it's own directory

Unix/Darwin/MacOSX Terminal -- and I'm a newby. I have a file called 'symfony' here: /opt/sf/data/bin/symfony If I go: cd /opt/sf/data/bin and then, ./symfony -V It responds with the version number (like it should) Great. However, if I go to another directory: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pipp
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Works on command line but not in script

Hey guys. Hopefully this is an easy one but having reference similar problems on the web I still can't fix it. I am doing a recursive find and replace from a script. Of course I could just run the damn thing from the command line but it's bugging me now and want to get it working. grep -rl... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anthonyjstewart
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with shell script: cp command not working, but mv command works...

Hello. I would like to ask your help regarding the cp command. We are using a cp command to create a back-up copy of our file but to no avail. It's just not working. We already checked the file and directory permissions and all seems correct. We have a script (ftp.script) which calls on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: udelalv
1 Replies

4. Solaris

no command works after i created new partition!!!

This was my intial setup of the partition table. Part Tag Flag Cylinders Size Blocks 0 root wm 259 - 2666 4.70GB (2408/0/0) 9863168 1 swap wu 3 - 258 512.00MB (256/0/0) 1048576 2 backup wm 0 -... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

SH script, variable built command fails, but works at command line

I am working with a sh script on a solaris 9 zone (sol 10 host) that grabs information to build the configuration command line. the variables Build64, SSLopt, CONFIGopt, and CC are populated in the script. the script includes CC=`which gcc` CONFIGopt=' --prefix=/ --exec-prefix=/usr... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: oly_r
8 Replies

6. Programming

How Readelf command works?

Hello all I want to read program header of a executable without using readelf. I know it can be tough. I will do the programming myself. Just give me a hint of it. Thanks ---------- Post updated at 05:02 AM ---------- Previous update was at 04:58 AM ---------- basically i want to count... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aditya08
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Works on command line but not in script

OSX 10.9 I am building a script that evaluates the difference between 2 files. Here is a command that does not work transparently. Running this command in Terminal yields great results; however when I put that line in a .sh script, I get the errors shown below. Am I doing something silly? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudo
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell script not working but command works in command prompt

Hi everyone I have a problem with my script If I try directly this command /usr/bin/nice -n 19 mysqldump -u root --password="******" wiki_schneider -c | nice -n 19 gzip -9 > /point_de_montage/$(date '+%Y%m%d')-wiki-db.sql.gz It works But if I simply add this command in a script and... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: picemma
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cp command works on command line but not in bash

The below command moves all the .vcf files into the directory. cp /home/cmccabe/Desktop/test/vcf/overall/stats/*.vcf /home/cmccabe/Desktop/NGS/annovar When I use a bash wrapper the target.txt gets created but the text files do not get copied. All the paths are the same, but not sure why... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command works at command line but not from cron

Oracle Linux 6. Trying to set up a simple monitoring of memory usage. This command does exactly what I want at the command line: echo $(date +%Y-%m-%d" "%H:%M:%S) $(grep PageTables /proc/meminfo) >> /home/oracle/meminfo.logBut when I put it in my crontab: * * * * * echo $(date +%Y-%m-%d"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: edstevens
2 Replies