Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Detecting new entries in log files Post 302841241 by ryandegreat25 on Wednesday 7th of August 2013 06:16:28 AM
Old 08-07-2013
ill try your suggestion. thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

detecting drives

I know that Unix is different from windows in that it needs more manual configuring but how do I get Solaris 8 (Intel version) to recognize my floppy drive and cd-rom?? I mean does it automatically detect the drives at startup and I have to mount them or do I have to create the drives somehow and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eloquent99
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Detecting Second disk

Hello all, first of all, I apologise if I may ask stupid or obvious questions, but I'm new to UNIX and I think I need a little bit of help before I start gearing up :) Anyway, I have installed a Solaris 8 on a Sun machine, and it has 2 physical disks in it. However, it seems that it is only... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dragunu
7 Replies

3. Programming

Detecting interruptions in C

Hi. You may know how to detect when a interruption succeeded programming in C. Just like receiving a signal without blocking. Knowing when it was a keystroke (IRQ 2), or a mouse movement (12), or a disk access, etc. and getting actually for example the letter typed. Thanks a lot. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashrentum
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Detecting incoming files without busy polling

Hello, I'd like to handle incoming (uploaded) files from a shell script, ideally without busy polling / waiting (e.g. running a cron task every 15'). Is there a command that would just sleep until a new entry has been created in a directory, allowing scripts such as the following: while... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: baldyeti
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help in detecting errors

Hi All , I need a script to find errors in a particular and in a particular path Actually in my logs i`ve so many kinds of errors(i can even say as 100 types also).if i run the script i need to know the error (some errors can aviod ) so finally the script o/p should be a numeric... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: radha254
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Detecting dates in foldernames

Hi, I will name folders this way : DD-MM-YYYY (07-06-2011 for today). DATE=`date +%d-%m-%Y` mkdir $DATE They will contain a backup of the day. I want, in my backup script, add a command that will automatically delete folders that are a week old (in this case, when performing the backup of... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Always
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can view log messages between two time frame from /var/log/message or any type of log files

How can view log messages between two time frame from /var/log/message or any type of log files. when logfiles are very big and especially many messages with in few minutes, I would like to display log messages between 5 minute interval. Could you pls give me the command? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: johnveslin
1 Replies

8. Fedora

Missing entries in log files just before/after reboot

Hello world, One of the servers, a Fedora one,rebooted today (Luckily, a testbox). I tried to get the reason the server rebooted. After going through the messages, I think that the log entries just before and after reboot are missing. Please below: (****** is the server name, for privacy... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish51392111
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Monitor log entries in log files with no Date format? - Efficient logcheck?

is there a way to efficiently monitor logfiles that do not have a date or time format? i have several logs on several different servers that need to be monitored. but i realized writing a script for this would be very complex and time consuming giving the variety of things i need to check for i.e.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting log files to null writing junk into log files

Redirecting log files to null writing junk into log files. i have log files which created from below command exec <processname> >$logfile but when it reaches some size i am redirecting to null while process is running like >$logfile manually but after that it writes some junk into... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: greenworld123
7 Replies
LOGSAVE(8)						      System Manager's Manual							LOGSAVE(8)

NAME
logsave - save the output of a command in a logfile SYNOPSIS
logsave [ -asv ] logfile cmd_prog [ ... ] DESCRIPTION
The logsave program will execute cmd_prog with the specified argument(s), and save a copy of its output to logfile. If the containing directory for logfile does not exist, logsave will accumulate the output in memory until it can be written out. A copy of the output will also be written to standard output. If cmd_prog is a single hyphen ('-'), then instead of executing a program, logsave will take its input from standard input and save it in logfile logsave is useful for saving the output of initial boot scripts until the /var partition is mounted, so the output can be written to /var/log. OPTIONS
-a This option will cause the output to be appended to logfile, instead of replacing its current contents. -s This option will cause logsave to skip writing to the log file text which is bracketed with a control-A (ASCII 001 or Start of Header) and control-B (ASCII 002 or Start of Text). This allows progress bar information to be visible to the user on the console, while not being written to the log file. -v This option will make logsave to be more verbose in its output to the user. AUTHOR
Theodore Ts'o (tytso@mit.edu) SEE ALSO
fsck(8) E2fsprogs version 1.42.5 July 2012 LOGSAVE(8)