Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Insert space in specific column among many columns Post 302839819 by Jotne on Saturday 3rd of August 2013 03:43:24 AM
Old 08-03-2013
sed have no loop command, use awk
Code:
awk -F, '{for (i=1;i<=NF;i+=2) printf "%s,%s ",$i,$(i+1);print ""}' inputfile
A,A B,C D,R
C,R A,A B,R
R,D A,R B,R

This User Gave Thanks to Jotne For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a text from a specific row into a specific column using SED or AWK

Hi, I am having trouble converting a text file. I have been working for this whole day now, still i couldn't make it. Here is how the text file looks: _______________________________________________________ DEVICE STATUS INFORMATION FOR LOCATION 1: OPER STATES: Disabled E:Enabled ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Issemael
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can sed be used to insert data at specific column?

I'm trying to use sed to insert data at a specific column, let's say my data looks like this: 0553 1828 0552 1829 0550 1829 0549 1830 0548 1831 what I want is this: timein 0553 timeout 1828 timein 0552 timeout 1829 timein 0550 timeout 1829 timein 0549 timeout 1830 timein 0548... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mswartz
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to insert alternative columns and sort text from first column to second?

Hi Everybody, I am just new to UNIX as well as to this forum. I have a text file with 10,000 coloumns and each coloumn contains values separated by space. I want to separate them into new coloumns..the file is something like this as ad af 1 A as ad af 1 D ... ... 1 and A are in one... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Unilearn
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove white space from specific columns in text file

Hello i have a text file like this: 1 AB AC AD EE 2 WE TR YT WW 3 AS UY RF YT the file is bigger , but that's an example of the data what i want to do is to merge all columns together except the first one, it will become like this : 1 ABACADEE 2 WETRYTWW 3 ASUYRFYT (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: shelladdict
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do you view specific columns from a space delimited text file?

I have a space delimited text file with 1,000,000+ columns? I would only like to view specific ones (let's say through 1:10), how can I do that? Thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Selecting Specific Columns and Insert the delimiter TAB

Hi, I am writing a Perl Script for the below : I have a data file that consists of the header information which is 231 Lines and the footer information as 4 lines. The total number of line including the header and footer 1.2 Million with Pipe Delimited file. For example: Header Information:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: filter
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert text into specific column

I have the following data: Dec 24 11:31:10 0000008b 9911662486 Answered Price SGD 0.003 PERIOD: 0 m 6 s Dec 24 11:21:42 00000086 9911662486 Answered Price SGD 0.001 PERIOD: 0 m 2 s Dec 20 15:34:28 00000004 9911662486 Answered Price SGD 0.007 PERIOD: 0 m 12 s Dec 20 18:42:30 0000017b... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: alegnagrp
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert space or pattern between columns in a data file

I have a data file where three data sets are written in three columns. Can I increase the space between the columns without reading them? Also can I insert particular patterns, say comma between 1st and 2nd column and colon between 2nd and 3rd column? (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: hbar
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert Columns before the last Column based on the Count of Delimiters

Hi, I have a requirement where in I need to insert delimiters before the last column of the total delimiters is less than a specified number. Say if the delimiters is less than 139, I need to insert 2 columns ( with blanks) before the last field awk -F 'Ç' '{ if (NF-1 < 139)} END { "Insert 2... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkesi
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change some string in specific column with space

Hello All of Master Script , i need help to solve my problem before : mount /dev/rdsk/c1t69d0s6 /dev/rdsk/c1t69d0s6 /vol/cl123/PURGE1 ufs mount /dev/rdsk/c1t70d0s6 /dev/rdsk/c1t70d0s6 /vol/cl123/PURGE2 ufs expected : mount /dev/dsk/c1t69d0s6 /dev/rdsk/c1t69d0s6 /PURGE1 ufs mount ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: k0p0nkkk
3 Replies
NEATEN(1)						      General Commands Manual							 NEATEN(1)

NAME
neaten - neaten up output columns SYNOPSIS
neaten [ format ] DESCRIPTION
Neaten reads from its standard input and neatens up columns separated by white space using the specified format. The format is a string consisting of a positive integer followed by an alignment character and another integer. The alignment character is usually a decimal point ('.'), but it can be any non-digit. The alignment character is used as the central point of each column. The total column field width will be the number to the left of the alignment character plus one for the alignment character itself plus the number to the right of the alignment character. If a field does not contain the alignment character, it will be printed to the left of where the alignment character would have appeared. If a field is too long to print within the specified format, the entire field will be printed and that row will not be aligned with the rest. The default format is "8.8". EXAMPLE
To examine a file with columns of numbers: neaten 10.8 < input | more BUGS
Columns wider than the total width of the format specification will be printed without any separating white space. The program does not do anything special with tabs on the input. AUTHOR
Greg Ward SEE ALSO
cnt(1), rcalc(1), rlam(1), total(1) RADIANCE
11/15/93 NEATEN(1)