Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to grep a string and add to subject line of a mail? Post 302839799 by vrkcamry on Friday 2nd of August 2013 11:32:51 PM
Old 08-03-2013
How to grep a string and add to subject line of a mail?

I am running a mailx command as follows in Linux:

Code:
mailx -s "Elapsed Time: " ora_dbas < $RUNDIR/sql_timings.out

I am trying to parse the file "sla_local_sql_timings.out" for the word Elapsed Time: and get the time from that file stored in a variable and display that variable in the subject line of my email. Is this possible at all?

Contents of sql_timing.out looks as below:
Code:

46 rows selected.
Elapsed: 00:10:00.10
SQL> 
SQL> spool off

46 rows selected.
Elapsed: 00:15:00.10
SQL> 
SQL> spool off

All i am trying to do is take the values "00:10:00.10" and "00:15:00.10" and add it to the subject line.

So the Subject line of my mail should be: Elapsed Time: 00:10:00.10 00:15:00.10

Can someone guide me on how to get this done please? thank you
Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use CODE tags to mark sample code and input and output samples. I guessed at where the CODE tags should go on your sample input and probably guessed incorrectly about where empty lines are supposed to appear.

Last edited by Don Cragun; 08-03-2013 at 12:51 AM.. Reason: Add CODE tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

date need to be add in the subject of the mail.

Hi Am fetching a weekly report pf data..once i fetched the data i need a sent report by mail. In the subject of that mail i want to sent a message like.. SUBJECT :The report had been fetched from (01/12/08 to 07/12/08). I need to send a report like this every week with that particular... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobprabhu
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep a string and print a string from the line below it

I know how to grep, copy and paste a string from a line. Now, what i want to do is to find a string and print a string from the line below it. To demonstrate: Name 1: ABC Age: 3 Sex: Male Name 2: DEF Age: 4 Sex: Male Output: 3 Male I know how to get "3". My biggest problem is to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingpeejay
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep on string and printing line after until another string has been found

Hello Everyone, I just started scripting this week. I have no background in programming or scripting. I'm working on a script to grep for a variable in a log file Heres what the log file looks like. The x's are all random clutter xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx START: xxxxxxxxxxxx... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rxc23816
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep a string and write a value to next line of found string

Hi, I have two variables x and y. i need to find a particular string in a file, a workflow name and then insert the values of x and y into the next lines of the workflow name. basically it is like as below wf_xxxxxx $$a= $$b= $$c= figo $$d=bentley i need to grep the 'wf_xxxx' and then... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: angel12345
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep a string from input file and delete next three lines including the line contains string in xml

Hi, 1_strings file contains $ cat 1_strings /home/$USER/Src /home/Valid /home/Review$ cat myxml <projected value="some string" path="/home/$USER/Src"> <input 1/> <estimate value/> <somestring/> </projected> <few more lines > <projected value="some string" path="/home/$USER/check">... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: greet_sed
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Subject line missing while sending mail

Hi, I have below script PROJECT_NAME=UDL/UDL_Weekly sub= echo ${PROJECT_NAME}|cut -d "/" -f2 cat pr.sh|mail -s "`hostname`: $sub failed" sonu.pal@xyz.com While running the script I am receiving the subject line in mail as " podetlsapp01: failed' instead of " podetlsapp01: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sonu_pal
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

AIX - Sendmail - add hostname to subject of outgoing mail

Hello, I'm configuring sendmail on an AIX 7.1 server (bos.net.tcp.client 7.1.1.15). I've gotten sendmail to send mail through our Novell GroupWise server, so that mail from a user on the server appears to come from their GroupWise account, and replies to the email would go to their GroupWise... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: eyebeam
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep the last line and put on mail subject

I have mail: cat /home/oracle/scripts/dbsizedaily.txt | mail -s "$TODAY: PROD DB Size" $RECIPIENTS I like to get and put USED_GB and %USED of the very last row from /home/oracle/scripts/dbsizedaily.txt. /home/oracle/scripts/dbsizedaily.txt has : DATE TIME TOTAL_GB USED_GB ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Daniel Gate
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a string in a text file and add another string at the end of line

Dear All I am having a text file which is having more than 200 lines. EX: 001010122 12000 BIB 12000 11200 1200003 001010122 2000 AND 12000 11200 1200003 001010122 12000 KVB 12000 11200 1200003 In the above file i want to search for string KVB... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: suryanarayana
5 Replies

10. Red Hat

How to add a new string at the end of line by searching a string on the same line?

Hi, I have a file which is an extract of jil codes of all autosys jobs in our server. Sample jil code: ************************** permission:gx,wx date_conditions:yes days_of_week:all start_times:"05:00" condition: notrunning(appDev#box#ProductLoad)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raghavendra
1 Replies
fmt(1)							      General Commands Manual							    fmt(1)

NAME
fmt - Formats mail messages prior to sending SYNOPSIS
fmt [-width] file... DESCRIPTION
The fmt command reads the input file or files, or standard input if no files are specified, and writes to standard output a version of the input with lines of a length as close as possible to width columns. (Because fmt is internationalized software, the number of display col- umns is not necessarily equivalent to the number of bytes.) The fmt command both joins and splits lines to achieve the desired width, but words are never joined or split; spaces are always preserved, and lines are split at spaces only. In effect, fmt ignores newline characters in the input and wraps words to make lines a close as possi- ble to width columns, resulting in individual lines of varying length but a consistent (new) text width overall. Because blank lines are always preserved, fmt does not merge paragraphs separated by blank lines. If you specify more than one file, the files are concatenated as input to fmt. If you do not specify -width, the default line length is 72 columns. Spacing at the beginning of input lines is always preserved in the output. The fmt command is generally used to format mail messages to improve their appearance before they are sent. It may also be useful, how- ever, for other simple formatting tasks. For example, when you are using vi, you can use the command :%!fmt -60 to reformat your text so that all lines are approximately 60 columns long. NOTES
The fmt command is a fast, simple formatting program. Standard text editing programs are more appropriate than fmt for complex formatting operations. Do not use the fmt command if the message contains embedded messages or preformatted information from other files. This com- mand formats the heading information in embedded messages and may change the format of preformatted information. EXAMPLES
file1 contains these lines: Australia is an island-continent, home to many very interesting plants and animals. To reformat this text to a narrower width, enter: fmt -30 file1 This results in the following, displayed on your screen: Australia is an island-continent, home to many very interesting plants and animals. To make file1 wider, enter: fmt -60 file1 This results in: Australia is an island-continent, home to many very interesting plants and animals. To format a message you have created with the mailx editor, at the left margin enter: ~|fmt After you enter the command, your message is formatted, in this case to the default line length of 72 columns, and the word continue is displayed to indicate that you can enter more information or send your message. SEE ALSO
Commands: mail(1), mailx(1), vi(1) fmt(1)