Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers Emacs removing margins when in X Post 302839717 by DGPickett on Friday 2nd of August 2013 11:46:20 AM
Old 08-02-2013
Does running emacs inside xterm help?
This User Gave Thanks to DGPickett For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to learn emacs?

I have been teaching myself unix a little here and a little there. I would like to learn emacs, or an editor that I would get the most use out of. What is the most used editor in unix? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: macnix
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ftp in Emacs

Hi How can I do ftp using emacs. I strart the function by M-x ftp. It connects to the server where I can see the list of files. how can I do put or get there? Thanks SS (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saurya_s
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Xemacs and emacs

Hi guys What is the difference between Xemacs and emacs. I assumed Xemacs runs only in X11. What about in Linux on KDE? Am I running Xemacs or emacs. Well it says emacs though. What is the advantage of one over other? What can I run on OS X ? SS (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurya_s
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help on EMACS

Any one has a good documentation on How To Use EMACs editor?? Thanks Ven :eek: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: VENC22
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

accent in emacs

Hello, I try to insert charcheters with accent with emacs. It doesn't work. How can I do ? Thank you in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: annemar
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Emacs

could someone please tell me how do I work emacs on unix?? how do you input the command and open up files and edit stuff. I know M-x info will lauch the info viewer, C-x u is undo, M-x spell-region run a spell check but when i use some of these command on emacs in Unix, I'm getting no results or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: starwind4
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trying to compile in Emacs

I'm trying to compile two files in Emacs (guess.cpp and yesno.cpp). So I open up Emacs (the text version) and give the command M-x and then I try to type in "g++ -o asst guess.cpp yesno.cpp". But everytime after I type "g++" and try to do a space after that, it says and wont let me type a space? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: blackvelvet
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting Printer margins

Hi, I have Aix 6.1. Installed the Ricoh Unix print filter, to allow us to print to a Ricoh 5001. So I send text documents to the printer using the qprt command and set the print job finishing options using the Ricoh commands passed using -o options. Eg. qprt -Pfin200 -o collate=on -o text... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: max5000
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to use emacs? Also how to open existing emacs files with .cgi format?

Hi All, I am new to this forum and a beginner in unix. Please correct me if I put the question in a wrong way.. How to use emacs editor? Also how to open existing emacs files with .cgi format? I have the following link :- http link i.e. url and path : /abc/xyz.dev/xyz/documents What... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: swathi123
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing PATTERN from txt without removing lines and general text formatting

Hi Everybody! First post! Totally noobie. I'm using the terminal to read a poorly formatted book. The text file contains, in the middle of paragraphs, hyphenation to split words that are supposed to be on multiple pages. It looks ve -- ry much like this. I was hoping to use grep -v " -- "... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: AxeHandle
5 Replies
MEV(1)							      General Commands Manual							    MEV(1)

NAME
mev - a program to report mouse events SYNOPSIS
mev [ options ] DESCRIPTION
The `mev' program is part of the gpm package. The information below is extracted from the texinfo file, which is the preferred source of information. The mev program is modeled after xev. It prints to stdout the mouse console events it gets. mev's default behaviour is to get anything, but command line switches can be used to set the various fields in the Gpm_Connect structure, in order to customize the program's behaviour. I'm using mev to handle mouse events to Emacs. Command line switches for mev are the following: -C number Select a virtual console to get events from. This is intended to be used for debugging. -d number Choose a default mask. By default the server gets any events not belonging to the event mask. The mask can be provided either as a decimal number, or as a symbolic string. -e number Choose the event mask. By default any event is received. The mask can be provided either as a decimal number, or as a symbolic string. -E Enter emacs mode. In emacs mode events are reported as lisp forms rather than numbers. This is the format used by the t-mouse pack- age within emacs. -f Fit events inside the screen before reporting them. This options re-fits drag events, which are allowed to exit the screen border, -i Interactive. Accepts input from stdin to change connection parameters. -m number Choose the minimum modifier mask. Any event with fewer modifiers will not be reported to mev. It defaults to 0. The mask must be provided either as a decimal number, or as a symbolic string. -M number Choose the maximum modifier mask. Any event with more modifier than specified will not be reported to mev. It defaults to ~0, i.e. all events are received. The mask must be provided either as a decimal number, or as a symbolic string. -p Requests to draw the pointer during drags. This option is used by emacs to avoid invoking ioctl() from lisp code. When the arguments are not decimal integers, they are considered lists of alphanumeric characters, separated by a single non-alphanumeric character. I use the comma (,), but any will do. Allowed names for events are move, drag, down or press, up or release, motion (which is both move and drag), and hard. Allowed names for modifiers are shift, leftAlt, rightAlt, anyAlt (one or the other), control. When the -i switch is specified, mev looks at its standard input as command lines rather than events. The input lines are parsed, and the commands push and pop are recognized. The push command, then, accepts the options -d, -e, -m and -M, with the same meaning described above. Unspecified options retain the previ- ous value and the resulting masks are used to reopen the connection with the server. pop is used to pop the connection stack. If an empty stack is popped the program exits. Other commands recognized are info, used to return the stack depth; quit to prematurely terminate the program; and snapshot to get some configuration information from the server. BUGS
Beginning with release 1.16, mev no longer works under xterm. Please use the rmev program (provided in the sample directory) to watch gpm events under xterm or rxvt. rmev also displays keyboard events besides mouse events. AUTHOR
Alessandro Rubini <rubini@linux.it> Ian Zimmerman <itz@speakeasy.org> FILES
/dev/gpmctl The socket used to connect to gpm. SEE ALSO
gpm(8) The mouse server gpm-root(1) An handler for Control-Mouse events. The info file about `gpm', which gives more complete information and explains how to write a gpm client. 4th Berkeley Distribution February 1995 MEV(1)