Sponsored Content
Special Forums Cybersecurity Secure Laptop composition with UNIX/Linux and Windows 7 Post 302839693 by edgkkk on Friday 2nd of August 2013 10:41:21 AM
Old 08-02-2013
Secure Laptop composition with UNIX/Linux and Windows 7

Hello

I have a problem: want to build secure laptop for simple user ( that's me Smilie ) with the VPN and virtualization.
Laptop would be for work at home and travel , so security for wirelles networks and comfort using Mobile 3G internet with dongle (not to have problem with drivers) is also important.

I have always worked on MS Windows environment and the main programs which is used :
MS Office
Adobe acrobat and other programs to work with PDF
Simple programs to work with pictures ( such as MS Paint )

Skype and Email
Browser ( Chrome or Commodo Dragon)

UTorrent and Strong DC ( for soft , movies and etc. - basically entertainment porpoises)

What should be the best composition of the OS systems ? Wich Linux/Unix distribution ? (I think it is safer to use it as base and windows as virtual)

Which VPN provider would you recommend?

Is there any other software or hardware , such as external box ( VPN/Firewall + ? ) that could you recommend ?

Or just describe your composition for a safe laptop designed for simple user (not programmer)

Thank you for you time and answers

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unix more secure than windows

Hi, I need to know why is Unix considered as more secure as compared to Windows. Following points are known but the reason is not known: i. File access permissions can be provided user wise in unix. .....but if i share my file in windows, then on that also access permissions can be... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajneesh_kapoor
10 Replies

2. Ubuntu

Connect 2 laptops with RJ45 cable (Ubuntu 10.10 laptop with Windows 7 laptop)

Hi to all, I have the problem that a laptops with windows XP cannot startup even in safe mode nor using last good known configuration. I have a Ubuntu 10.10 Live CD and booting from it I can read the Hard Drive. I need to do a backup the Hard Drive from XP laptop and I want to connect this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgkmal
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

installing unix/linux on HP(INTEL INSIDE) LAPTOP.

Please inform me on how to install unix/Linus on hp(Intel inside) lap top computer, with windows xp inside. Thank you. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: princektwo
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Transfer files from linux server to windows using secure ftp (sftp)

HI, I have to transfer files from linux server to windows using secure ftp (sftp) .Kindly help me out. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manushi88
3 Replies

5. Red Hat

After installing redhat, my laptop boot straight to Windows 7

Hi all, Good day. I just installed RHEL6.3 into my laptop to learn RH. There is an existing Windows 7 in there. After installing the RHEL, the laptop will just boot to Windows 7. I tried to use this BCDedit to add Linux entry to the boot menu, BUT each time i pick the redhat selection,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wingcross
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Issues with passwordless sftp2 from windows to Linux using F-Secure SSH Client

Hi, I am facing problems whie trying to do a passwordless ssh to Unix box from windows. Public key was generated using F-secure. When the F-secure client attempts it connects without password but when I try to use sftp2 in command line it prompts for password. I have tried several options and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhrajj
0 Replies

7. Linux

Issues with passwordless sftp2 from windows to Linux using F-Secure SSH Client

Hi, I am facing problems whie trying to do a passwordless ssh to Unix box from windows. Public key was generated using F-secure. When the F-secure client attempts it connects without password but when I try to use sftp2 in command line it prompts for password. I have tried several options and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhrajj
3 Replies

8. Programming

Secure FTP from Windows to UNIX

Looking for a way to secure ftp files from Windows to Unix through batch script. This may not be related to Unix/Linux environment, but hoping some solution. Our desktop (Win 7) does not have sftp installed in our machine (DOS-Command Window). We have SSH tools like Winscp, PSFTP (PuTTY),... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobbygsk
4 Replies

9. Solaris

Multiboot on a laptop: windows Solaris Linux

Hi Just want to share.... Multiboot: winlinsos; June 2016 Lenovo x230, 4GB - No internal DVD driver I have # fdisk -l Disk /dev/sda: 120.0 GB, 120034123776 bytes, 234441648 sectors Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes I/O... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: van12
0 Replies
LM-PROFILER.CONF(8)					      System Manager's Manual					       LM-PROFILER.CONF(8)

NAME
/etc/laptop-mode/lm-profiler.conf - Configuration file for lm-profiler, a profiler for laptop-mode-tools. DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents the options that can be set in the /etc/laptop-mode/lm-profiler.conf configuration file. For a description of what lm-profiler does, see the lm-profiler(8) manpage. SETTINGS
The syntax of options is OPTION=value. The following settings are available in lm-profiler.conf: VERBOSE_OUTPUT Set this to 1 if you want to see a lot of output when you run lm-profiler, and 0 if you don't want this. Useful for debugging purposes. (Currently does nothing.) PROFILE_RUN_LENGTH The length of a profiling run, in seconds. This should be a while, so that lm-profiler can gather enough information. The default is 10 minutes (600 seconds). ACTIVITY_INTERVAL_MIN ACTIVITY_INTERVAL_MAX The behaviour that you want to avoid when you have your hard drive spun down, is disk accesses that are spread out over time, because your hard drive will have to spin up for each access. lm-profiler detects when applications perform disk accesses that are at least some time apart (otherwise they can be considered part of the same access) but not TOO far apart (otherwise they are no problem). These settings configure what lm-profiler considers "at least some time apart" and "too far apart", respectively, in seconds. RECOMMEND_DEFAULT_SERVICES DEFAULT_SERVICES If RECOMMEND_DEFAULT_SERVICES is set to 1 (enabled), then lm-profiler will always suggest turning off the services listed in DEFAULT_SERVICES (separated by spaces). IGNORE_PROGRAMS Programs listed in this option, separated by spaces, will be ignored for disk activity profiling. The default settings (which can be referenced as $DEF_IGNORE_PROGRAMS) include common utility programs and all programs used by lm-profiler itself. RECOMMEND_NETWORK_SERVICES When this option is enabled (value 1), lm-profiler will detect any services that are listening on network ports, and it will sug- gest that you disable them. IGNORE_NETWORK_SERVICES Services listed in this configuration option (separated by spaces) are not suggested as a network service by lm-profiler. The default values can be accessed as $DEF_IGNORE_NETWORK_SERVICES. SEE ALSO
lm-profiler(8). laptop_mode(8). laptop-mode.conf(8). AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Bart Samwel (bart@samwel.tk). Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU General Public License, Version 2 any later version published by the Free Software Foundation. LM-PROFILER.CONF(8)