Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Select command help with blank input value Post 302839195 by ambroze on Wednesday 31st of July 2013 03:57:21 PM
Old 07-31-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudiC
<space><enter> behave as you expected: "invalid choice " is displayed for 2 seconds, and then MAIN is executed (BTW, be careful with unterminated recursion here!).
The behaviour of <enter> alone is a feature of the select command, see its man page.
<enter> or <space><enter> are not behaving as expected it does not go to "invalid choice" for 2 secs, then MAIN, it's just displaying the menu list down on the screen over and over, hence this is my issue I'm wanting to correct. That behaviour doesn't not seem right.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

select datas from an input file

I have a file containing a list of references and I want to run a script that will make the same action for each reference. The input file changes every hour, it's why I want to use a script that can read in a file, record by record, and run a specific action for the reference readed. Thanks... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dde
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Select command array

Hello everyone, I have a quick question about the select command in ksh. I am using it to define a menu for user selection, I have found that the REPLY var contains the input from the user, I was interested to find out if there is a system variable that contains the whole menu as an array, the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gio001
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Validating user input is not blank

Trying to create a script in BASH that would ask the user to enter another user name making sure the input is not blank before they hit enter then to check the home directory of that user does exist, I have the check folder sorted it's just the loop to make sure the user has entered chars (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: MBN
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract/select pattern from input

Hey, examples of the input (text line): /bla/blMOasdn234.adanif24/blabla.rar /bla/blMOasdn234.adanif24/blabla23124.bin /bla/bla/bla/bla/bla/bla.bin and what I need to do is extract/select only the dir path so the output would be: /bla/blMOasdn234.adanif24/ /bla/blMOasdn234.adanif24/... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TehOne
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to test input variable is a string in a select loop

Okay -- I hope I ask this correctly. I'm working on my little shell script to write vendor names and aliases to files from user input. If a user choose to add to a file, he can do that as well. I'm using a select loop for this function to list all the possible files the user can choose from.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Straitsfan
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

PS3 select when wrong input given

Hi All I am using the below code to chose a file to view : PS3="Select file to view : " select FILE in `ls` QUIT do if ; then clear cat $FILE else break fi REPLY='' done Everything works fine as long as I am giving the correct choice . But when i give a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ningy
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Select Command - return

Hello everyone, A simple question which may have a suggested solution: I am using, and loving, the select command in a ksh93 script on AIX 6.1 to present users with menus. I have been successful in controlling all of key input by the users, I still have an issue with the RETURN key. When the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gio001
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to select the rows from the feed file based on the input value provided

Hi Folks, I have the below feed file named abc1.txt in which you can see there is a title and below is the respective values in the rows and it is completely pipe delimited file ,. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: punpun66
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with 'select' for menu input

A lot of my scripting makes use of the 'select' command to create menu driven input. A typical example of how I use it is as: somevar='' PS3='Select one: ' while ]; do select somevar in $(sqlplus -s $dbuser/$dbpw@mydb <<EOF set echo off feedback off verify off... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: edstevens
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Select command

Hi I'm using the "select" command in the global_env.sh to log in to the application directory. This file is called in .bashrc profile. Sample code: Filename: global_env.sh set -o vi export severname=$(uname -n) printf '%s\n%30s\n%s\n' "***********************" "Welcome to $severname"... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cheers799
6 Replies
ckitem(1)							   User Commands							 ckitem(1)

NAME
ckitem, erritem, helpitem - build a menu; prompt for and return a menu item SYNOPSIS
ckitem [-Q] [-W width] [-uno] [-f filename] [-l label] [ [-i invis] [,...]] [-m max] [-d default] [-h help] [-e error] [-p prompt] [ -k pid [-s signal]] [ choice [...]] /usr/sadm/bin/erritem [-W width] [-e error] [ choice [..]] /usr/sadm/bin/helpitem [-W width] [-h help] [ choice [..]] DESCRIPTION
The ckitem utility builds a menu and prompts the user to choose one item from a menu of items. It then verifies the response. Options for this command define, among other things, a prompt message whose response will be a menu item, text for help and error messages, and a default value (which will be returned if the user responds with a carriage return). By default, the menu is formatted so that each item is prepended by a number and is printed in columns across the terminal. Column length is determined by the longest choice. Items are alphabetized. All messages are limited in length to 70 characters and are formatted automatically. Any white space used in the definition (including new- line) is stripped. The -W option cancels the automatic formatting. When a tilde is placed at the beginning or end of a message definition, the default text will be inserted at that point, allowing both custom text and the default text to be displayed. If the prompt, help or error message is not defined, the default message (as defined under NOTES) will be displayed. Two visual tool modules are linked to the ckitem command. They are erritem (which formats and displays an error message) and helpitem (which formats and displays a help message). These modules should be used in conjunction with FML objects. In this instance, the FML object defines the prompt. When choice is defined in these modules, the messages will describe the available menu choice (or choices). OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -d default Define the default value as default. The default is not validated and so does not have to meet any criteria. -e error Define the error message as error. -f filename Define a file, filename, which contains a list of menu items to be displayed. (The format of this file is: token<tab>description. Lines beginning with a pound sign (#) are designated as comments and ignored.) -h help Define the help messages as help. -i invis Define invisible menu choices (those which will not be printed in the menu). (For example, ``all'' used as an invisible choice would mean it is a legal option but does not appear in the menu. Any number of invisible choices may be defined.) Invisible choices should be made known to a user either in the prompt or in a help message. -k pid Specify that the process ID pid is to be sent a signal if the user chooses to abort. -l label Define a label, label, to print above the menu. -m max Define the maximum number of menu choices that the user can choose. The default is 1. -n Specify that menu items should not be displayed in alphabetical order. -o Specify that only one menu token will be returned. -p prompt Define the prompt message as prompt. -Q Specify that quit will not be allowed as a valid response. -s signal Specify that process ID pid defined with the -k option is to be sent signal signal when quit is chosen. If no signal is specified, SIGTERM is used. -u Specify that menu items should be displayed as an unnumbered list. -W width Specify that prompt, help and error messages will be formatted to a line length of width. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: choice Define menu items. Items should be separated by white space or newline. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful execution. 1 EOF on input, or negative width on -W option, or inability to open file on -f option, or usage error. 3 User termination (quit). 4 No choices from which to choose. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
attributes(5) NOTES
The user may input the number of the menu item if choices are numbered or as much of the string required for a unique identification of the item. Long menus are paged with 10 items per page. When menu entries are defined both in a file (by using the -f option) and also on the command line, they are usually combined alphabeti- cally. However, if the -n option is used to suppress alphabetical ordering, then the entries defined in the file are shown first, followed by the options defined on the command line. The default prompt for ckitem is: Enter selection [?,??,q]: One question mark will give a help message and then redisplay the prompt. Two question marks will give a help message and then redisplay the menu label, the menu and the prompt. The default error message if you typed a number is: ERROR: Bad numeric choice specification The default error message if you typed a string is: ERROR: Entry does not match available menu selection. Enter the number of the menu item you wish to select, the token which is associated with the menu item, or a partial string which uniquely identifies the token for the menu item. Enter ?? to reprint the menu. The default help message is: Enter the number of the menu item you wish to select, the token which is associated with the menu item, or a partial string which uniquely identifies the token for the menu item. Enter ? to reprint the menu. When the quit option is chosen (and allowed), q is returned along with the return code 3. SunOS 5.10 14 Sep 1992 ckitem(1)