Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Formatting The Email Output
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Formatting The Email Output Post 302839185 by MadeInGermany on Wednesday 31st of July 2013 03:22:16 PM
Old 07-31-2013
In Unix land please do not use the unprintable special character \r
Code:
printf "%s\n" "
text
text"

or
Code:
echo "
text
text"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Email formatting

ok, does anyone know how i can strip out fields i dont want from a mail spool file (eg: /var/mail/usermailbox) and dump to standard output (or file with > filename) ?? i tried using a bunch of grep -v 's but i realized that has two main problems, first of all, if anyone types the text im grepping... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: norsk hedensk
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

more help with formatting ls output...

Ok, for a fun project, my goal is to replicate the style of "catalog" on an old apple ] *A 002 SOMEAPPLESOFTFILE B 004 SOMEFILE T 006 SOMETEXT I 002 SOMEINTEGERFILE The first character is either " " or "*" depending on if the file is locked or not. Next is the filetype, so in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: patrick99e99
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output formatting .

below is a CPU utilization Log for ABC server. However for every 15 minutes it generates 3 CPU values(with interval of 2 sec). Host CPU CPUtotal CPU% time ABC 101.1 2 50.55 14 : 15 ABC 100.5 2 50.25 14 : 15 ABC 100.2 2 50.1 14 : 15 ABC 100.9 2 50.45 14 : 30 ABC 100.5 2 50.25 14 : 30 ABC... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Formatting df output

Hi all, Can anyone please suggest how best to handle output from running df where some of the information for a volume/filesystem spread over two lines? Some of my volume/filesytem are NFS mounted and when I run a df, the information is spread over the two lines instead of the usual norm... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with output formatting

Hey can anyone help me with newline formatting? i bet someone will ask why im rewriting du code, im trying to write a simple script that have slightly different function than du lol.... echo $(du "$dval" | tr ' ' '\n') atm with above code it will printout i've tried sed and awk... cant... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nick1097
7 Replies

6. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

email from *nix to Exchange - text formatting issue

Oracle Linux 5.6 x-86-64 (Red Hat derivitive) I have several shell scripts that capture output to a log file, then use that log file as the source of an email. For a very simplified example: echo Today is `date` >> $logfile /bin/mail -s "$subject" "$sendto" < $logfile (yes, $subject... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: edstevens
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Sending a HTML email from cli loses formatting.

Hi, I have a .sh file, to email a report of our backups from a linux machine. It looks like this (minus a few bits): echo "HELO $host.$domain" sleep 1 echo "mail from: vdrreport@$domain" sleep 1 echo "rcpt to:$mailto" sleep 1 echo "data" sleep 1 echo "subject: $host VDR-Report... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cognito
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting output

I have the output like below: DEV#: 9 DEVICE NAME: hdisk9 TYPE: 1750500 ALGORITHM: Load Balance SERIAL: 68173531021 ========================================================================== Path# Adapter/Path Name State Mode Select Errors 0 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Daniel Gate
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Email formatting gets disturbed because of screen resolution

Hi friends, I have written a shell script which send a report to email address everyday. The report is generated on UNIX server every day, Generated report is sent to 25 users through cron. All 25 users have set different screen resolution for their monitor. The email looks wel formatted for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nakul_sh
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting email output in single line with out space in email

I have tried below email method and i am getting every thing in single line . i have put echo to provide space, but it is not helping my code ( echo "From: $FROM" echo "To: $MAILTO" echo "CC: $CC" echo "Subject: $SUBJECT" echo "MIME-Version: 1.0" echo 'Content-Type: multipart/mixed;... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirwasim
6 Replies
Devel::Refcount(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				      Devel::Refcount(3pm)

NAME
"Devel::Refcount" - obtain the REFCNT value of a referent SYNOPSIS
use Devel::Refcount qw( refcount ); my $anon = []; print "Anon ARRAY $anon has " . refcount($anon) . " reference "; my $otherref = $anon; print "Anon ARRAY $anon now has " . refcount($anon) . " references "; DESCRIPTION
This module provides a single function which obtains the reference count of the object being pointed to by the passed reference value. FUNCTIONS
$count = refcount($ref) Returns the reference count of the object being pointed to by $ref. COMPARISON WITH SvREFCNT This function differs from "Devel::Peek::SvREFCNT" in that SvREFCNT() gives the reference count of the SV object itself that it is passed, whereas refcount() gives the count of the object being pointed to. This allows it to give the count of any referent (i.e. ARRAY, HASH, CODE, GLOB and Regexp types) as well. Consider the following example program: use Devel::Peek qw( SvREFCNT ); use Devel::Refcount qw( refcount ); sub printcount { my $name = shift; printf "%30s has SvREFCNT=%d, refcount=%d ", $name, SvREFCNT($_[0]), refcount($_[0]); } my $var = []; printcount 'Initially, $var', $var; my $othervar = $var; printcount 'Before CODE ref, $var', $var; printcount '$othervar', $othervar; my $code = sub { undef $var }; printcount 'After CODE ref, $var', $var; printcount '$othervar', $othervar; This produces the output Initially, $var has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=1 Before CODE ref, $var has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 $othervar has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 After CODE ref, $var has SvREFCNT=2, refcount=2 $othervar has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 Here, we see that SvREFCNT() counts the number of references to the SV object passed in as the scalar value - the $var or $othervar respectively, whereas refcount() counts the number of reference values that point to the referent object - the anonymous ARRAY in this case. Before the CODE reference is constructed, both $var and $othervar have SvREFCNT() of 1, as they exist only in the current lexical pad. The anonymous ARRAY has a refcount() of 2, because both $var and $othervar store a reference to it. After the CODE reference is constructed, the $var variable now has an SvREFCNT() of 2, because it also appears in the lexical pad for the new anonymous CODE block. PURE-PERL FALLBACK An XS implementation of this function is provided, and is used by default. If the XS library cannot be loaded, a fallback implementation in pure perl using the "B" module is used instead. This will behave identically, but is much slower. Rate pp xs pp 225985/s -- -66% xs 669570/s 196% -- SEE ALSO
o Test::Refcount - assert reference counts on objects AUTHOR
Paul Evans <leonerd@leonerd.org.uk> perl v5.14.2 2011-11-15 Devel::Refcount(3pm)