Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Formatting The Email Output
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Formatting The Email Output Post 302839185 by MadeInGermany on Wednesday 31st of July 2013 03:22:16 PM
Old 07-31-2013
In Unix land please do not use the unprintable special character \r
Code:
printf "%s\n" "
text
text"

or
Code:
echo "
text
text"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Email formatting

ok, does anyone know how i can strip out fields i dont want from a mail spool file (eg: /var/mail/usermailbox) and dump to standard output (or file with > filename) ?? i tried using a bunch of grep -v 's but i realized that has two main problems, first of all, if anyone types the text im grepping... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: norsk hedensk
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

more help with formatting ls output...

Ok, for a fun project, my goal is to replicate the style of "catalog" on an old apple ] *A 002 SOMEAPPLESOFTFILE B 004 SOMEFILE T 006 SOMETEXT I 002 SOMEINTEGERFILE The first character is either " " or "*" depending on if the file is locked or not. Next is the filetype, so in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: patrick99e99
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output formatting .

below is a CPU utilization Log for ABC server. However for every 15 minutes it generates 3 CPU values(with interval of 2 sec). Host CPU CPUtotal CPU% time ABC 101.1 2 50.55 14 : 15 ABC 100.5 2 50.25 14 : 15 ABC 100.2 2 50.1 14 : 15 ABC 100.9 2 50.45 14 : 30 ABC 100.5 2 50.25 14 : 30 ABC... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Formatting df output

Hi all, Can anyone please suggest how best to handle output from running df where some of the information for a volume/filesystem spread over two lines? Some of my volume/filesytem are NFS mounted and when I run a df, the information is spread over the two lines instead of the usual norm... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with output formatting

Hey can anyone help me with newline formatting? i bet someone will ask why im rewriting du code, im trying to write a simple script that have slightly different function than du lol.... echo $(du "$dval" | tr ' ' '\n') atm with above code it will printout i've tried sed and awk... cant... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nick1097
7 Replies

6. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

email from *nix to Exchange - text formatting issue

Oracle Linux 5.6 x-86-64 (Red Hat derivitive) I have several shell scripts that capture output to a log file, then use that log file as the source of an email. For a very simplified example: echo Today is `date` >> $logfile /bin/mail -s "$subject" "$sendto" < $logfile (yes, $subject... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: edstevens
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Sending a HTML email from cli loses formatting.

Hi, I have a .sh file, to email a report of our backups from a linux machine. It looks like this (minus a few bits): echo "HELO $host.$domain" sleep 1 echo "mail from: vdrreport@$domain" sleep 1 echo "rcpt to:$mailto" sleep 1 echo "data" sleep 1 echo "subject: $host VDR-Report... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cognito
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting output

I have the output like below: DEV#: 9 DEVICE NAME: hdisk9 TYPE: 1750500 ALGORITHM: Load Balance SERIAL: 68173531021 ========================================================================== Path# Adapter/Path Name State Mode Select Errors 0 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Daniel Gate
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Email formatting gets disturbed because of screen resolution

Hi friends, I have written a shell script which send a report to email address everyday. The report is generated on UNIX server every day, Generated report is sent to 25 users through cron. All 25 users have set different screen resolution for their monitor. The email looks wel formatted for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nakul_sh
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting email output in single line with out space in email

I have tried below email method and i am getting every thing in single line . i have put echo to provide space, but it is not helping my code ( echo "From: $FROM" echo "To: $MAILTO" echo "CC: $CC" echo "Subject: $SUBJECT" echo "MIME-Version: 1.0" echo 'Content-Type: multipart/mixed;... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirwasim
6 Replies
MboxParser::Mail::Body(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			       MboxParser::Mail::Body(3pm)

NAME
Mail::MboxParser::Mail::Body - rudimentary mail-body object SYNOPSIS
use Mail::MboxParser; [...] # $msg is a Mail::MboxParser::Mail my $body = $msg->body(0); # or preferably my $body = $msg->body($msg->find_body); for my $line ($body->signature) { print $line, " " } for my $url ($body->extract_urls(unique => 1)) { print $url->{url}, " "; print $url->{context}, " "; } DESCRIPTION
This class represents the body of an email-message. Since emails can have multiple MIME-parts and each of these parts has a body it is not always easy to say which part actually holds the text of the message (if there is any at all). Mail::MboxParser::Mail::find_body will help and suggest a part. METHODS
as_string ([strip_sig => 1]) Returns the textual representation of the body as one string. Decoding takes place when the mailbox has been opened using the decode => 'BODY' | 'ALL' option. If 'strip_sig' is set to a true value, the signature is stripped from the string. as_lines ([strip_sig => 1]) Sames as as_string() just that you get an array of lines with newlines attached to each line. NOTE: When the body is actually some encoded binary data (most commonly such a body is base64-encoded), you can still use this method. Then you wont really get proper lines. Instead you get chunks of binary data that you should concatenate as in my $binary = join "", $body->as_lines; If 'strip_sig' is set to a true value, the signature is stripped from the string. signature Returns the signature of a message as an array of lines. Trailing newlines are already removed. $body->error returns a string if no signature has been found. extract_urls extract_urls (unique => 1) Returns an array of hash-refs. Each hash-ref has two fields: 'url' and 'context' where context is the line in which the 'url' appeared. When calling it like $mail->extract_urls(unique => 1), duplicate URLs will be filtered out regardless of the 'context'. That's useful if you just want a list of all URLs that can be found in your mails. $body->error() will return a string if no URLs could be found within the body. quotes Returns a hash-ref of array-refs where the hash-keys are the several levels of quotation. Each array-element contains the paragraphs of this quotation-level as one string. Example: my $quotes = $msg->body($msg->find_body)->quotes; print $quotes->{1}->[0], " "; print $quotes->{0}->[0], " "; This should print the first paragraph of the mail-body that has been quoted once and below that the paragraph that supposedly is the reply to this paragraph. Perhaps thus: > I had been trying to work with the CGI module > but I didn't yet fully understand it. Ah, it is tricky. Have you read the CGI-FAQ that comes with the module? Mark that empty lines will not be ignored and are part of the lines contained in the array of $quotes->{0}. So below is a little code-snippet that should, in most cases, restore the first 5 paragraphs (containing quote-level 0 and 1) of an email: for (0 .. 4) { print $quotes->{0}->[$_]; print $quotes->{1}->[$_]; } Since quotes() considers an empty line between two quotes paragraphs as a paragraph in $quotes->{0}, the paragraphs with one quote and those with zero are balanced. That means: scalar @{$quotes->{0}} - DIFF == scalar @{$quotes->{1}} where DIFF is element of {-1, 0, 1}. Unfortunately, quotes() can up to now only deal with '>' as quotation-marks. VERSION
This is version 0.55. AUTHOR AND COPYRIGHT
Tassilo von Parseval <tassilo.von.parseval@rwth-aachen.de> Copyright (c) 2001-2005 Tassilo von Parseval. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
perl v5.12.3 2005-12-08 MboxParser::Mail::Body(3pm)