Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Search from a line to end of list using sed Post 302839183 by RudiC on Wednesday 31st of July 2013 03:16:05 PM
Old 07-31-2013
Of course your attempts will not work as there is a space in that empty (better: not-so-empty) line making your regex fail. Either remove that space or include it in the regex!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed to end of line

I know this is going to be an easy anwer, but I haven't been able to figure this out - even with the help of the previous posts. I want to go from this PROD USER anon; to this TEST; I have coded a few sed commands, and none of them are getting the job done. anon will not always be the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: djschmitt
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Number a list at end of line using 'sed'

Hi All I have a script which has produced a list, I have used 'sed' to number my list, but i want to list at end of line with the first line starting at zero (0) and brackets round it ie My List i want Hello (0) this (1) day (2) can (3) be (4) sed '/./=' filename | sed '/./N; s/\n/) /'... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chassis
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing character from list line (at the end)

Hi, I have file as shown below. abc, def, abc, xyz, I have to remove ',' from end of last line (xyz,). How can I do that with single command? Is it possible or I have to iterate through complete file to remove that? - Malay (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: malaymaru
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete to end of line with SED

I have a file with a bunch of similar lines in which I want to extract a phrase delimited by the first occurance of a '>' at the beginning and the first occurance of a '<' at the end (you might have guessed these are beginning/end of HTML tags). Using Sed I have managed to delete up to and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: coldcanuck
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

search directory-find files-append at end of line

Hi, I have a command "get_data" with some parameters in few *.text files of a directory. I want to first find those files that contain this command and then append the following parameter to the end of the command. example of an entry in the file :- get_data -x -m50 /etc/web/getid this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: PrasannaKS
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed issue with end of line

Example, Trying to replace text to the end of a line. Text file looks like this PP= 4 PP= 412 PP= 425 I want to replace only the following line: PP= 4 with PP= 2 How can this be done with sed? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hanson397
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing end of line using SED

Hello Friends, How can I remove the last two values of this line using sed John Carey:507-699-5368:29 Albert way, Edmonton, AL 25638:9/3/90:45900 The result should look like this: John Carey:507-699-5368:29 Albert way, Edmonton, AL 25638 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: humkhn
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed removing until end of line

All: Can somebody help me out with a sed command, which removes the the first occurance of ')' until the end of the line If I have the following input ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: BeefStu
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a string, then append character to end of that line only

I have 2 files that I am working with $ cat file1 server1 server3 server5 server6 server8 $ cat file2 server1;Solaris; server2; SLES; server3;Linux; server4; Solaris; server5;SLES; server6;SLES; server7;Solaris; server8;Linux; (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: snoman1
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - go to file and search a part and set at the end text

Hello, i hope the titel is okay. I want to edit a line in /etc/arno-iptables-firewall/firewall.conf So the Line can contains: OPEN_TCP="436, 25, 80, 110, 143, 443, 465, 587, 993, 995, 21, 20" i want to search in this line: OPEN_TCP="*, *, 80, *, *, 443, *, *, *, *" and i want to... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: tJAdASwIRDESSEI
11 Replies
RE_COMP(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							RE_COMP(3)

NAME
re_comp, re_exec - BSD regex functions SYNOPSIS
#define _REGEX_RE_COMP #include <sys/types.h> #include <regex.h> char *re_comp(char *regex); int re_exec(char *string); DESCRIPTION
re_comp() is used to compile the null-terminated regular expression pointed to by regex. The compiled pattern occupies a static area, the pattern buffer, which is overwritten by subsequent use of re_comp(). If regex is NULL, no operation is performed and the pattern buffer's contents are not altered. re_exec() is used to assess whether the null-terminated string pointed to by string matches the previously compiled regex. RETURN VALUE
re_comp() returns NULL on successful compilation of regex otherwise it returns a pointer to an appropriate error message. re_exec() returns 1 for a successful match, zero for failure. CONFORMING TO
4.3BSD. NOTES
These functions are obsolete; the functions documented in regcomp(3) should be used instead. SEE ALSO
regcomp(3), regex(7), GNU regex manual COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.44 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
1995-07-14 RE_COMP(3)