Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Use sed to print first n lines and last n lines of an output. Post 302838915 by carloszhang on Tuesday 30th of July 2013 09:41:55 PM
Old 07-30-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajamadhavan
Check "selective printing of certain lines" section on this page

http://www.catonmat.net/blog/wp-cont...9/sed1line.txt
Hi rajamadhavan, thanks for the reply.
I had seen the page before posting,
but below did not work. Smilie
Code:
$ cat a.txt
$ sed 3q -e :a -e '$q;N;4,$D;ba' a.txt
/tools/oss/packages/x86_64-rhel5/sed/default/bin/sed: can't read 3q: No such file or directory

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed one-liner to print specific lines?

I need to print specific lines from a file, say 2-5, 8, 12-15, 17, 19, 21-27. How do I achieve this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ilja
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed print all lines after pattern match

HiCan someone show me how to print all lines from a file after a line matching a pattern using sed?Thanks (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: steadyonabix
13 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

read file-print lines in sed

Hello! Im trying to read file contents. Then, print out every line that has "/bens/here" in the file that was read. cat /my/file.now | sed '/bens/here/p' I keep getting the error asking if I need to predeclare sed? What does predeclaring sed mean? Thanks! Ben (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigben1220
2 Replies

4. Solaris

sed command to print lines after expression

Hi guys. I need a sed command to print like 10 lines after a regular expression is found in the log. Can anyone help me out. Thanks ---------- Post updated at 10:52 AM ---------- Previous update was at 10:34 AM ---------- never mind. I just did the search bewteen two expressions. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jamie_collins
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

print lines AFTER lines cointaining a regexp (or print every first and fourth line)

Hi all, This should be very easy but I can't figure it out... I have a file that looks like this: @SRR057408.1 FW8Y5CK02R652T length=34 AGCAGTGGTATCAACGCAGAGTAAGCAGTGGTAT +SRR057408.1 FW8Y5CK02R652T length=34 FIIHFF6666?=:88@@@BBD:::?@ABBAAA>8 @SRR057408.2 FW8Y5CK02TBMHV length=52... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kmkocot
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print duplicate only lines as normal output - Awk

input output a1 100 200 XYZ_X a1 98 188 ABC (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: quincyjones
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed print certain lines matching variable

I have a very large results file, and a list of filters grep -wf filterlist.txt datafile.txt > outfile.txt The above line works but is very slow and I'm wondering how to make it faster. The items in my filterlist are only relevant to the first column. I don't care if any item in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sayb
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command : print lines having no # at the begining

I am trying to print those line which has no # in the begining of the line. The sed I used for this purpose as shown below is not giving the required output. echo 'PDE 5600' | sed -n 's/^\!#/&/p' Where lies the problem:confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hiten.r.chauhan
3 Replies

9. AIX

Print output of grep command in multuple lines

HI All, I am using grep command to serach a pattern in a list of files and storing the output in a variable. Then i am applying some logic on that variable to get the required output. But Thing is that when the pattern is present mutiple times in a file, i am getting the output of grep in a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: goutam sahoo
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed print all lines between second and third identical lines

I am trying to extract a table of data (mysql query output) from a log file. I need to print everything below the header and not past the end of the table. I have spent many hours searching with little progress. I am matching the regexp +-\{99\} with no problem. I just can't figure out how to print... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: godfreydanials
5 Replies
UNIQ(1) 								FSF								   UNIQ(1)

NAME
uniq - remove duplicate lines from a sorted file SYNOPSIS
uniq [OPTION]... [INPUT [OUTPUT]] DESCRIPTION
Discard all but one of successive identical lines from INPUT (or standard input), writing to OUTPUT (or standard output). Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -c, --count prefix lines by the number of occurrences -d, --repeated only print duplicate lines -D, --all-repeated[=delimit-method] print all duplicate lines delimit-method={none(default),prepend,separate} Delimiting is done with blank lines. -f, --skip-fields=N avoid comparing the first N fields -i, --ignore-case ignore differences in case when comparing -s, --skip-chars=N avoid comparing the first N characters -u, --unique only print unique lines -w, --check-chars=N compare no more than N characters in lines --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit A field is a run of whitespace, then non-whitespace characters. Fields are skipped before chars. AUTHOR
Written by Richard Stallman and David MacKenzie. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-coreutils@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for uniq is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and uniq programs are properly installed at your site, the command info uniq should give you access to the complete manual. uniq (coreutils) 4.5.3 February 2003 UNIQ(1)