Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Command not found error
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Command not found error Post 302838799 by Don Cragun on Tuesday 30th of July 2013 01:23:08 PM
Old 07-30-2013
Unless you give a pathname for the command to be executed that contains a slash character, the command must be in a directory on your command search path. If you are using a shell that uses basic Bourne shell syntax, the command search path is specified by the PATH shell variable. If you issue the command:
echo "$PATH" you will see a list of directories separated by colons. Many administrators set up the default PATH for users on their system to include the current directory; others don't. It looks like yours doesn't. There are several ways to execute nu in this situation. They include:
  1. Specify a pathname for your script that contains a /, such as:
    Code:
    ./nu

2. Add the current directory to your PATH:
    Code:
    PATH="$PATH:."

then run:
    Code:
    nu

3. Move your shell script to a directory that is on your search path:
    Code:
    mv nu $HOME/bin

(at least most sysadmins will have this directory in your search path),and then run it:
    Code:
    nu

This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Error ^M not found while using read command

Hi guys, i have a script called readnametest.i had written like this # !/bin/ksh echo "enter your name please" read x; echo " your name is $x" i am getting an error like "readnametest.ksh: ^M: not found." while executing this one.Could any one please explain me on why this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: raoscb
4 Replies

2. Red Hat

Command Not Found Error?

Hi, I am beginer to Linux. I have installed Redhat Linux AS 4.0 on my System.Later I created a User Oracle10g for Installing Oracle.Then I logged onto Oracle10g user and crated a Bash Profile and when I run that profile there was an error in that Profile. from then If I type any of Linux Command... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: praswer
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command not found error!

Hello everyone, I am using Linux and tcsh shell. I am trying to run a free open source program( which is in the form of a binary file), but every time I run it it gives me an error saying: newhtsg_v1.0:Command not found. I have set permission also for the same. What else can I do to make... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ad23
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command not found error

I have a program called abc installed in /usr/local/bin. My path is as follows: # echo $PATH /sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/root/bin However, when entering the abc command, the following error appears: # abc abc: Command not found When... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

command not found error

hello every time i run the following code for val in fileX fileY fileZ do $val=`ls -l $val | awk '{print $5}'` done i got error message command not found , i tried to add ' and " but nothing works its only worked wen remove $val= but i want the name of the file and the value ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mogabr
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

BreakPoint Command Not found error

I have Suse linux-2.6.31.5-0.1. When I try to set breakpoint in application or kernel modules it gives me command not found error. For instance when I typed the command b xyz.c:47 it gives me an error: "If 'b' is not a typo you can use command-not-found lookup the package that contains... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
4 Replies

7. Linux

command not found error

I installed in VM the Mandriva Linux. But when I fire the make command it gives me command not found error. Seems make is not installed. I also checked in Mandriva control center and no development package is seen there. Will pls let me know how to proceed and get make and other development... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

while loop error. (command not found)

can any1 please tell me what is problem with following code: i=1; cat test| while read CMD; do Var$i=$CMD; or Var$i=$(echo $CMD) ; let i++ doneI keep getting error : line 4: Var1=sometext: command not found (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kashif.live
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command not found error 'then'

Could you let me know if my path is having bourne bash echo $PATH /u01/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_1/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/home/oracle/bin $ which bash /bin/bash $ which ls alias ls='ls --color=tty' /bin/ls Below is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: csguna6
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error : command not found

Hi , I am an Oracle developer. trying to write a shell script to compile all the forms that are modified in last 1 hour. Script Body cat cmp.sh for f in `find ./*fmb* -mmin -60`; do "`frmcmp_batch.sh userid=ba/ba@testdb batch=yes module=$f module_type=form compile_all=yes... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: imrandec85
2 Replies
RAKE(1) 						 Ruby Programmers Reference Guide						   RAKE(1)

NAME
rake -- Ruby Make SYNOPSIS
rake [--f Rakefile] [--version] [-CGNPgnqstv] [-D [PATTERN]] [-E CODE] [-I LIBDIR] [-R RAKELIBDIR] [-T [PATTERN]] [-e CODE] [-p CODE] [-r MODULE] [--rules] [variable=value] target ... DESCRIPTION
Rake is a simple ruby(1) build program with capabilities similar to the regular make(1) command. Rake has the following features: o Rakefiles (Rake's version of Makefiles) are completely defined in standard Ruby syntax. No XML files to edit. No quirky Makefile syntax to worry about (is that a tab or a space?). o Users can specify tasks with prerequisites. o Rake supports rule patterns to synthesize implicit tasks. o Flexible FileLists that act like arrays but know about manipulating file names and paths. o A library of prepackaged tasks to make building rakefiles easier. OPTIONS
--version Display the program version. -C --classic-namespace Put Task and FileTask in the top level namespace -D [PATTERN] --describe [PATTERN] Describe the tasks (matching optional PATTERN), then exit. -E CODE --execute-continue CODE Execute some Ruby code, then continue with normal task processing. -G --no-system --nosystem Use standard project Rakefile search paths, ignore system wide rakefiles. -I LIBDIR --libdir LIBDIR Include LIBDIR in the search path for required modules. -N --no-search --nosearch Do not search parent directories for the Rakefile. -P --prereqs Display the tasks and dependencies, then exit. -R RAKELIBDIR --rakelib RAKELIBDIR --rakelibdir RAKELIBDIR Auto-import any .rake files in RAKELIBDIR. (default is rakelib ) -T [PATTERN] --tasks [PATTERN] Display the tasks (matching optional PATTERN) with descriptions, then exit. -e CODE --execute CODE Execute some Ruby code and exit. -f FILE --rakefile FILE Use FILE as the rakefile. -h --help Prints a summary of options. -g --system Using system wide (global) rakefiles (usually ~/.rake/*.rake ). -n --dry-run Do a dry run without executing actions. -p CODE --execute-print CODE Execute some Ruby code, print the result, then exit. -q --quiet Do not log messages to standard output. -r MODULE --require MODULE Require MODULE before executing rakefile. -s --silent Like --quiet, but also suppresses the 'in directory' announcement. -t --trace Turn on invoke/execute tracing, enable full backtrace. -v --verbose Log message to standard output (default). --rules Trace the rules resolution. SEE ALSO
ruby(1) make(1) http://rake.rubyforge.org/ REPORTING BUGS
Bugs, features requests and other issues can be logged at <http://onestepback.org/redmine/projects/show/rake>. You will need an account to before you can post issues. Register at <http://onestepback.org/redmine/account/register>. Or you can send an email to the author. AUTHOR
Rake is written by Jim Weirich <jim@weirichhouse.org> UNIX
November 7, 2012 UNIX