Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Converting Single Column into Multiple rows, but with strings to specific tab column Post 302838689 by AK47 on Tuesday 30th of July 2013 03:53:37 PM
Old 07-30-2013
RudiC & rdrtx1 @ Thank man...really helpful!! There both working Smilie Hardcore sripting SmilieSmilieSmilie.

---------- Post updated at 03:53 PM ---------- Previous update was at 08:31 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrtx1
try also:
Code:
awk '
BEGIN {
   cols="RANGE,OBB,BO,VER,MVER,PER,CBAA,CBAZA,ALP";
   cc=split(cols, oc, ",");
   for (j=1; j<=cc; j++) printf oc[j] (j<cc ? "\t":"\n");
}
{if ($1 ~ /^[0-9]+$/) {
   if (d[oc[1]]) for (j=1; j<=cc; j++) printf d[oc[j]] (j<cc ? "\t":"\n");
   d[oc[1]]=$1;
 } else {
   ln=$0; sub("[-].*", "", ln); d[ln]=$0;
 }
}
END { for (j=1; j<=cc; j++) printf d[oc[j]] (j<cc ? "\t":"\n"); }
' infile

@ rdrtx1 : there's a small issue. It doesn't clear the column variable after every loop.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting Single Column into Multiple rows

i have single column which is starting with same string(many number of rows) i have to convert each into a single row.how can i do that? laknar std mes 23 55 laknar isd phone no address amount 99 I have to convert above like below. laknar|std|mes|23|55 laknar|isd|phone... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Single column into multiple rows

Hi all, I need to convert this file having just one column into two column file current file: a 15 b 21 c 34 d 48 e 10 wanted: a 15 b 21 c 34 (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: prachiagra
15 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting rows to column

i have output of script as below name,roll_no,01-05-12,02-05-12,03-05-12 sam,12,24,24,24 jon,145,24,24,22 van,29,24,22,24 i want to convert these into columns as output is not fixed please tell me how to convert 1st row in to 1st columns likewise,as many rows are there are to be converted... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagar_1986
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Converting column to rows for every 3 lines in the column

Hi gurus! Please help me with this one. I have an file with the following contents: a b c d e f g h i j I would like to make to transform it to look like this as my output file: a,b,c d,e,f (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kokoro
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to merge multiple rows into single row if first column matches ?

Hi, Can anyone suggest quick way to get desired output? Sample input file content: A 12 9 A -0.3 2.3 B 1.0 -4 C 34 1000 C -111 900 C 99 0.09 Output required: A 12 9 -0.3 2.3 B 1.0 -4 C 34 1000 -111 900 99 0.09 Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cbm_000
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[SOLVED] splitting a single column(with spaces) into multiple rows

Hi All, My requisite is to split a single column of phonemes seperated by spaces into multiple rows. my input file is: a dh u th a qn ch A v U r k my o/p should be like: adhu a dh u (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: girlofgenuine
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Transpose multiple rows (with a mix of space and enter) to a single column

How to change the uploaded weekly file data to the following format? New Well_Id,Old Well_Id,District,Thana,Date,Data,R.L,WellType,Lati.,Longi. BAG001,PT006,BARGUNA,AMTALI,1/2/1978,1.81,2.29,Piezometer,220825,901430 BAG001,PT006,BARGUNA,AMTALI,1/9/1978,1.87,2.29,Piezometer,220825,901430... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sara.nowreen
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert single column into multiple rows

Convert Single column to multiple rows file a.txt contains data like below Server=abc Run=1 Tables=10 Sessions=16 Time=380 Jobs=5 Server=abc Run=2 Tables=15 Sessions=16 Time=400 Jobs=5 Server=abc Run=3 Tables=20 Sessions=16 Time=450 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sol_nov
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting a single row to multiple rows

Hi, I want to convert a single row values to multiple rows, but the no. of rows are not fixed. For example, I have a row as below abc-def-lmn-mno-xyz out put should be get abc get def get lmn get xyz (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Suneel Mekala
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting Single Column into Multiple rows

Hi .. anyone can you help me ? i need to convert text below into multiple columns interface; GigabitEthernet0/0/0/0 description; TRUNK_PE-D2-JT2-VPN_Gi0/0/0/0_TO_ME4-A-JKT-JT_4/1/1_1G mtu 9212 negotiation auto interface; GigabitEthernet0/0/0/0.11 description; tes encapsulation;... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mad3linux
1 Replies
SPLIT(1)							   User Commands							  SPLIT(1)

NAME
split - split a file into pieces SYNOPSIS
split [OPTION]... [INPUT [PREFIX]] DESCRIPTION
Output fixed-size pieces of INPUT to PREFIXaa, PREFIXab, ...; default size is 1000 lines, and default PREFIX is `x'. With no INPUT, or when INPUT is -, read standard input. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -a, --suffix-length=N use suffixes of length N (default 2) -b, --bytes=SIZE put SIZE bytes per output file -C, --line-bytes=SIZE put at most SIZE bytes of lines per output file -d, --numeric-suffixes use numeric suffixes instead of alphabetic -e, --elide-empty-files do not generate empty output files with `-n' --filter=COMMAND write to shell COMMAND; file name is $FILE -l, --lines=NUMBER put NUMBER lines per output file -n, --number=CHUNKS generate CHUNKS output files. See below -u, --unbuffered immediately copy input to output with `-n r/...' --verbose print a diagnostic just before each output file is opened --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit SIZE may be (or may be an integer optionally followed by) one of following: KB 1000, K 1024, MB 1000*1000, M 1024*1024, and so on for G, T, P, E, Z, Y. CHUNKS may be: N split into N files based on size of input K/N output Kth of N to stdout l/N split into N files without splitting lines l/K/N output Kth of N to stdout without splitting lines r/N like `l' but use round robin distribution r/K/N like- wise but only output Kth of N to stdout AUTHOR
Written by Torbjorn Granlund and Richard M. Stallman. REPORTING BUGS
Report split bugs to bug-coreutils@gnu.org GNU coreutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/> Report split translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2011 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for split is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and split programs are properly installed at your site, the command info coreutils 'split invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 8.12.197-032bb September 2011 SPLIT(1)