Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers # /UNIX.org file deleting is safer or not Post 302838671 by bakunin on Tuesday 30th of July 2013 07:31:33 AM
Old 07-30-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by rukshan4u2c
Please tell me the use of # /Unix.org file
In the title you called it "/UNIX.org", now you call it "/Unix.org". These are two different filenames, you might want to find out which one the file actually has.

There is neither a standard file "/UNIX.org" nor one named "/Unix.org", so we will have no possibility to find out what this file contains and if it is safe to delete/truncate it. You might want to start with finding out which process created the file and for what purpose.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting contents of a UNIX File

Hi ALL, Can anyone help me out. I have unix file, I need to delete the contents of the file. Can any one let me know the command to do this. The file has to be there, but the contents should be deleted. thanks Manas (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas6
6 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

Is M$ safer than UN*X(-LIKE)??

I know that you already know the answer to the question. It just springed in my mind after what happened yesterday. I was getting some books off of Amazon.com, since they are cheeper than bookstore, and my mother said something that made me laugh 'till I couldn't breathe. I have a Debian Lenny... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Texasone
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting a file from REMOTE Unix Server

Hi All, I have a requirement where i need to remove a file from Remote system. Can any one suggest me how to do this? My requirement is, i need to archive the file in a separate system. If the remore system is having files older than 7 years, then i need to delete that files from the remote... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raamc
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed/awk help to match list of patterns and remove from org file

Hi, From the pattern mentioned below remove lines based on pattern range. Conditions 1 Look For all lines starting with ALTER TABLE and Ending with ; and contains the word MOVE.I wanto to remove these lines from the file sample below. Note : The above pattern list could be found in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajan_san
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting a file in Windows drive from Unix script

Objective ******* I was trying to develop a script that moves files from one folder to another in Windows drive from a Unix script. I got ftp account created for those windows folders. I know that for moving a file from Unix server to Windows server we use scp command, but is there a command... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anilvaranasi_02
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting a pattern in UNIX without deleting the entire line

Hi I have a file: r58778.3|SOURCES={KEY=f665931a...,fw,221-705}|ERRORS={16_1:T,30_1:T,56_1:C,57_1:T,59_1:A,101_1:A,115:-,158_1:C,186_1:A,204:-,271_1:T,305:-,350_1:C,368_1:G,442_1:C,472_1:G,477_1:A}|SOURCE_1="Contig_1092402550638"(f665931a359e36cea0976db191ff60ff09cc816e) I want to retain... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alyaa
15 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting files using UNIX

Hi All , I am using the below if condition to delete files . if then if ; then log_err "Trigger File ${LINKTRIGGER} does not exist!" fi log_msg "Deleting the Linktrigger" rm -v ${LANDINGDIR}/${LINKTRIGGER}.* else if ; then log_err "Trigger File ${TRGFILE} does not exist!" echo... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hypesslearner
11 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Why is editing a file by renaming the new one safer?

Hello: I've been reading about ways to edit files from the command line, and I've found two websites which state that the following is the safest way to edit a file: command original > new mv new originalThat is, renaming the newer file to the previous one. This is what the websites I mentioned... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cacializ
8 Replies
lib(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide						  lib(3pm)

NAME
lib - manipulate @INC at compile time SYNOPSIS
use lib LIST; no lib LIST; DESCRIPTION
This is a small simple module which simplifies the manipulation of @INC at compile time. It is typically used to add extra directories to perl's search path so that later "use" or "require" statements will find modules which are not located on perl's default search path. Adding directories to @INC The parameters to "use lib" are added to the start of the perl search path. Saying use lib LIST; is almost the same as saying BEGIN { unshift(@INC, LIST) } For each directory in LIST (called $dir here) the lib module also checks to see if a directory called $dir/$archname/auto exists. If so the $dir/$archname directory is assumed to be a corresponding architecture specific directory and is added to @INC in front of $dir. lib.pm also checks if directories called $dir/$version and $dir/$version/$archname exist and adds these directories to @INC. The current value of $archname can be found with this command: perl -V:archname The corresponding command to get the current value of $version is: perl -V:version To avoid memory leaks, all trailing duplicate entries in @INC are removed. Deleting directories from @INC You should normally only add directories to @INC. If you need to delete directories from @INC take care to only delete those which you added yourself or which you are certain are not needed by other modules in your script. Other modules may have added directories which they need for correct operation. The "no lib" statement deletes all instances of each named directory from @INC. For each directory in LIST (called $dir here) the lib module also checks to see if a directory called $dir/$archname/auto exists. If so the $dir/$archname directory is assumed to be a corresponding architecture specific directory and is also deleted from @INC. Restoring original @INC When the lib module is first loaded it records the current value of @INC in an array @lib::ORIG_INC. To restore @INC to that value you can say @INC = @lib::ORIG_INC; CAVEATS
In order to keep lib.pm small and simple, it only works with Unix filepaths. This doesn't mean it only works on Unix, but non-Unix users must first translate their file paths to Unix conventions. # VMS users wanting to put [.stuff.moo] into # their @INC would write use lib 'stuff/moo'; NOTES
In the future, this module will likely use File::Spec for determining paths, as it does now for Mac OS (where Unix-style or Mac-style paths work, and Unix-style paths are converted properly to Mac-style paths before being added to @INC). If you try to add a file to @INC as follows: use lib 'this_is_a_file.txt'; "lib" will warn about this. The sole exceptions are files with the ".par" extension which are intended to be used as libraries. SEE ALSO
FindBin - optional module which deals with paths relative to the source file. PAR - optional module which can treat ".par" files as Perl libraries. AUTHOR
Tim Bunce, 2nd June 1995. "lib" is maintained by the perl5-porters. Please direct any questions to the canonical mailing list. Anything that is applicable to the CPAN release can be sent to its maintainer, though. Maintainer: The Perl5-Porters <perl5-porters@perl.org> Maintainer of the CPAN release: Steffen Mueller <smueller@cpan.org> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
This package has been part of the perl core since perl 5.001. It has been released separately to CPAN so older installations can benefit from bug fixes. This package has the same copyright and license as the perl core. perl v5.12.1 2010-07-01 lib(3pm)