Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers # /UNIX.org file deleting is safer or not Post 302838653 by rukshan4u2c on Tuesday 30th of July 2013 06:54:01 AM
Old 07-30-2013
Question # /UNIX.org file deleting is safer or not

Hi All,

Please tell me the use of # /Unix.org file it has reserved a huge disk space, I want to know is it safer to truncate or delete.

Thanks - Rukshan.Smilie

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting contents of a UNIX File

Hi ALL, Can anyone help me out. I have unix file, I need to delete the contents of the file. Can any one let me know the command to do this. The file has to be there, but the contents should be deleted. thanks Manas (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas6
6 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

Is M$ safer than UN*X(-LIKE)??

I know that you already know the answer to the question. It just springed in my mind after what happened yesterday. I was getting some books off of Amazon.com, since they are cheeper than bookstore, and my mother said something that made me laugh 'till I couldn't breathe. I have a Debian Lenny... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Texasone
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting a file from REMOTE Unix Server

Hi All, I have a requirement where i need to remove a file from Remote system. Can any one suggest me how to do this? My requirement is, i need to archive the file in a separate system. If the remore system is having files older than 7 years, then i need to delete that files from the remote... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raamc
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed/awk help to match list of patterns and remove from org file

Hi, From the pattern mentioned below remove lines based on pattern range. Conditions 1 Look For all lines starting with ALTER TABLE and Ending with ; and contains the word MOVE.I wanto to remove these lines from the file sample below. Note : The above pattern list could be found in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajan_san
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting a file in Windows drive from Unix script

Objective ******* I was trying to develop a script that moves files from one folder to another in Windows drive from a Unix script. I got ftp account created for those windows folders. I know that for moving a file from Unix server to Windows server we use scp command, but is there a command... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anilvaranasi_02
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting a pattern in UNIX without deleting the entire line

Hi I have a file: r58778.3|SOURCES={KEY=f665931a...,fw,221-705}|ERRORS={16_1:T,30_1:T,56_1:C,57_1:T,59_1:A,101_1:A,115:-,158_1:C,186_1:A,204:-,271_1:T,305:-,350_1:C,368_1:G,442_1:C,472_1:G,477_1:A}|SOURCE_1="Contig_1092402550638"(f665931a359e36cea0976db191ff60ff09cc816e) I want to retain... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alyaa
15 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting files using UNIX

Hi All , I am using the below if condition to delete files . if then if ; then log_err "Trigger File ${LINKTRIGGER} does not exist!" fi log_msg "Deleting the Linktrigger" rm -v ${LANDINGDIR}/${LINKTRIGGER}.* else if ; then log_err "Trigger File ${TRGFILE} does not exist!" echo... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hypesslearner
11 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Why is editing a file by renaming the new one safer?

Hello: I've been reading about ways to edit files from the command line, and I've found two websites which state that the following is the safest way to edit a file: command original > new mv new originalThat is, renaming the newer file to the previous one. This is what the websites I mentioned... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cacializ
8 Replies
ustr(1) 						    Ustr String Library, tools							   ustr(1)

NAME
ustr-import - ustr string library import tool SYNOPSIS
ustr-import [--32|--64] [-d][d] [-c] [-b x] [-e 1|0] [-s 1|0] section DESCRIPTION
This tool lets you use the Ustr string library without incuring dependencies on the library itself, so API/ABI compatibility is 100% (nothing changes unless you do it) and installing your application doesn't require the library to be pre-installed. OPTIONS
--32 If you installed with multilib, this runs the 32 bit variant (and installs the variable multilib build code as ustr-conf.h). --64 If you installed with multilib, this runs the 64 bit variant (and installs the variable multilib build code as ustr-conf.h). -d Turn debugging on, USTR_ASSERT() now runs code etc. -d Turn extra debugging on, including End of String (EOS) markers that takeup space. Note that you can do -dd to add both at once. -c Use C files, this requires that you alter the build system to compile the C files and link them into your application. The default is to just provide headers that you can just include. -b Specify the default reference count byte size: 0, 1, 2 or 4 (or 8 on 64 bit platforms). Note that 2 bytes is the minimum if you have explicit size storage. -e Specify the default exact sized allocations flag, without this flag allocations are rounded up to the neared half power of two. -s Specify the default explicit size storage flag, without this flag allocations have an implicit size based on their length with it a size value is stored with the string (thus taking significantly larger space for small strings, but this doesn't require reallocating the string when growing and shrinking the string). Note that turning this on also increases the minimum sizes for length and reference count storage. SECTIONS
all All of the following sections are included. b Working with binary numbers in NBO format. cmp Comparing, strcmp() for Ustr's, although the Ustr versions are safer and much faster. cntl Control options dynamically. fmt Formatted output, sprintf() for Ustr's. gdb Copy just the .gdbinit file to the local dir. io Input Output. ins Inserting data. main The core functions, including strcat(), strdup() and delete for Ustr's. Always safer and often much faster. parse Parsing integers, Ie. Nice versions of strtol(). pool A bundled memory pool API, to use with the ustrp functions. replace Replacing all occurances of data. sc Shortcut functions for Ustr's. set Setting data, strcpy() for Ustr's. split Slit the data, strtok() / strsep() for Ustr's. spn Spanning, strspn() / strcspn() for Ustr's. srch Searching, strchr() / strrchr() / strstr() for Ustr's, although the Ustr versions are safer and much faster. sub Substituting data. utf8 Working with UTF8. FILES
/ustr/include/ustr-conf.h /ustr/include/ustr-conf-debug.h In multilib. this is the header to choose the correct conf.h header based on the byte size. /ustr/include/ustr*.h The default "extern" header files. /usr/share/ustr-*/ustr-*-internal.h Internal functions, used the implement the public interfaces. /usr/share/ustr-*/ustr-*-code.h The code behind the public interfaces. /usr/share/ustr-*/ustr-*-code.c The C files, which use the code header files to create objects. /usr/share/ustr-*/.gdbinit The GDB init file containing macros to help inspect Ustr's in the debugger. SEE ALSO
ustr(3),ustr_const(3) ustr-import 1.0.4 03-Aug-2007 ustr(1)