Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers # /UNIX.org file deleting is safer or not Post 302838653 by rukshan4u2c on Tuesday 30th of July 2013 06:54:01 AM
Old 07-30-2013
Question # /UNIX.org file deleting is safer or not

Hi All,

Please tell me the use of # /Unix.org file it has reserved a huge disk space, I want to know is it safer to truncate or delete.

Thanks - Rukshan.Smilie

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting contents of a UNIX File

Hi ALL, Can anyone help me out. I have unix file, I need to delete the contents of the file. Can any one let me know the command to do this. The file has to be there, but the contents should be deleted. thanks Manas (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas6
6 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

Is M$ safer than UN*X(-LIKE)??

I know that you already know the answer to the question. It just springed in my mind after what happened yesterday. I was getting some books off of Amazon.com, since they are cheeper than bookstore, and my mother said something that made me laugh 'till I couldn't breathe. I have a Debian Lenny... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Texasone
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting a file from REMOTE Unix Server

Hi All, I have a requirement where i need to remove a file from Remote system. Can any one suggest me how to do this? My requirement is, i need to archive the file in a separate system. If the remore system is having files older than 7 years, then i need to delete that files from the remote... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raamc
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed/awk help to match list of patterns and remove from org file

Hi, From the pattern mentioned below remove lines based on pattern range. Conditions 1 Look For all lines starting with ALTER TABLE and Ending with ; and contains the word MOVE.I wanto to remove these lines from the file sample below. Note : The above pattern list could be found in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajan_san
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting a file in Windows drive from Unix script

Objective ******* I was trying to develop a script that moves files from one folder to another in Windows drive from a Unix script. I got ftp account created for those windows folders. I know that for moving a file from Unix server to Windows server we use scp command, but is there a command... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anilvaranasi_02
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting a pattern in UNIX without deleting the entire line

Hi I have a file: r58778.3|SOURCES={KEY=f665931a...,fw,221-705}|ERRORS={16_1:T,30_1:T,56_1:C,57_1:T,59_1:A,101_1:A,115:-,158_1:C,186_1:A,204:-,271_1:T,305:-,350_1:C,368_1:G,442_1:C,472_1:G,477_1:A}|SOURCE_1="Contig_1092402550638"(f665931a359e36cea0976db191ff60ff09cc816e) I want to retain... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alyaa
15 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting files using UNIX

Hi All , I am using the below if condition to delete files . if then if ; then log_err "Trigger File ${LINKTRIGGER} does not exist!" fi log_msg "Deleting the Linktrigger" rm -v ${LANDINGDIR}/${LINKTRIGGER}.* else if ; then log_err "Trigger File ${TRGFILE} does not exist!" echo... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hypesslearner
11 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Why is editing a file by renaming the new one safer?

Hello: I've been reading about ways to edit files from the command line, and I've found two websites which state that the following is the safest way to edit a file: command original > new mv new originalThat is, renaming the newer file to the previous one. This is what the websites I mentioned... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cacializ
8 Replies
TR(1)									FSF								     TR(1)

NAME
tr - translate or delete characters SYNOPSIS
tr [OPTION]... SET1 [SET2] DESCRIPTION
Translate, squeeze, and/or delete characters from standard input, writing to standard output. -c, --complement first complement SET1 -d, --delete delete characters in SET1, do not translate -s, --squeeze-repeats replace each input sequence of a repeated character that is listed in SET1 with a single occurrence of that character -t, --truncate-set1 first truncate SET1 to length of SET2 --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit SETs are specified as strings of characters. Most represent themselves. Interpreted sequences are: NNN character with octal value NNN (1 to 3 octal digits) \ backslash a audible BEL  backspace f form feed new line return horizontal tab v vertical tab CHAR1-CHAR2 all characters from CHAR1 to CHAR2 in ascending order [CHAR*] in SET2, copies of CHAR until length of SET1 [CHAR*REPEAT] REPEAT copies of CHAR, REPEAT octal if starting with 0 [:alnum:] all letters and digits [:alpha:] all letters [:blank:] all horizontal whitespace [:cntrl:] all control characters [:digit:] all digits [:graph:] all printable characters, not including space [:lower:] all lower case letters [:print:] all printable characters, including space [:punct:] all punctuation characters [:space:] all horizontal or vertical whitespace [:upper:] all upper case letters [:xdigit:] all hexadecimal digits [=CHAR=] all characters which are equivalent to CHAR Translation occurs if -d is not given and both SET1 and SET2 appear. -t may be used only when translating. SET2 is extended to length of SET1 by repeating its last character as necessary. Excess characters of SET2 are ignored. Only [:lower:] and [:upper:] are guaranteed to expand in ascending order; used in SET2 while translating, they may only be used in pairs to specify case conversion. -s uses SET1 if not translating nor deleting; else squeezing uses SET2 and occurs after translation or deletion. AUTHOR
Written by Jim Meyering. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-coreutils@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for tr is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and tr programs are properly installed at your site, the com- mand info tr should give you access to the complete manual. tr (coreutils) 4.5.3 February 2003 TR(1)