Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Question in bash script.
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Question in bash script. Post 302838555 by Skrynesaver on Tuesday 30th of July 2013 03:45:22 AM
Old 07-30-2013
If you just want to avoid duplicating the string you would add with your script...
Code:
egrep "$value" $file || echo "$value" >> $file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH shell script question

I want to make shell script that takes a list of host names on my network as command line arguments and displays whether the hosts are up or down, using the ping command to display the status of a host and a for loop to process all the host names. Im new to shell scripting so Im not quite sure... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ewarmour
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

one question for bash shell script

Just one question for bash shell script. In bash script, you can use *.txt to call any files in current folder that ends with .txt, like rm *.txt will remove all txt file in current folder. My question is can you actually remember or use the file name among *.txt, I know file=*.txt will not... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: zx1106
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH script question

Hi, I want to create a script that gets a filename as an argument. The script should generate a listing in long list format of the current directory, sorted by file size. This list must be written to a new file by the filename given on the command line. Can someone help me with this? ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: I-1
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script question

Can anybody be kind to explaing me what the lines below mean ? eval line=$line export $line ] || echo $line (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jville
2 Replies

5. Solaris

bash shell send script question

Hi Experts, Need your help. I am trying to send a command via ssh to about a hundred network devices. I intend to do this via a bash script something similar to the below: ssh -l user testmachine.com "show version" Obviously this will not work given the password prompt that comes... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcusbrutus
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - loop question

Hi Folks, I have a loop that goes through an array and the output is funky. sample: array=( 19.239.211.30 ) for i in "${array}" do echo $i iperf -c $i -P 10 -x CSV -f b -t 50 | awk 'END{print '$i',$6}' >> $file done Output: 19.239.211.30 19.2390.2110.3 8746886 seems that when... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitrohuffer2001
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question about writing a bash script

Hello, I want to write a bash script to delete the content after '#'. However, if '#' appears in a string with "", ignore this. For example, input file: test #delete "test #not delete" Output file: test "test #not delete" Does anyone know how to write this script? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jeffwang66
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question about Shebang line of Bash Script

Hello All, I was writing a Bash shell script that will be executed on both an AIX server (/usr/bin/ksh) and a SLES server (/bin/bash). The AIX server has Bash installed at "/usr/bin/bash", which is in a different dir then the SLES server. So basically I am writing the script on the SLES... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[BASH] Performance question - Script to STDOUT

Hello Coders Some time ago i was asking about python and bash performances, and i was told i could post the regarding code, and someone would kindly help to make it faster (if possible). If you have noted, i'm on the way to finalize, finish, stable TUI - Text(ual) User Interface. It is a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Script Iterating Question

I am trying to look through one of my directories to remove certain files. I am pretty new to Unix and bash so I just need a little help in starting this. I know I would have to write two loops one to iterate the directories and one to iterate the files. How would I write the loops? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: totoro125
3 Replies
escape(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							 escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)