Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Join two commands sed and grep Post 302838531 by kaav06 on Tuesday 30th of July 2013 02:24:10 AM
Old 07-30-2013
Hi riyandgreat 25 and ripat,

Riyandgreat 25 - I want to append a character to the line before the matched line and not the matched line. Thanks so much

Ripat - your solution worked great. Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

to join the corresponding lines using shell commands or awk

Suppose u have this file gi_1 ABCDEFDHIJ KMNOPQRSTU VWXYZABCDE gi_2 JKLMNOPQRS TUVWXYZABC DEFGHIJKLM gi_3 PQRSTUVWXY ZABCDEFGHI JKLMNOPQRS gi_4 CDEFGHIJKL MNOPQRSTUV WXYZABCDEF gi_5 IJKLMNOPQR STUVWXYZAB CDEFGHIJKLM FGHIJKLMNO PQRSTUVWXY ZABCDEFABC NOPQRSTUVW XYZABCDEFG... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdfd123
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk, join or sed

$ cat file1 a:23:43 A B C a:24:21 a:23:44 S D A F a:24:44 a:23:45 S D E a:24:45 $ cat file2 a:23:53 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jkl_jkl
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Join, GREP

Hi All, I have 2 file. ACC_NUM contains only account numbers & ACC_DETAIL contains all information including account number seperated by ~ delimiter. i am serching the account number in ACC_DETAIL from ACC_NUM. If it is exist, then copy all information in ACC_DETAIL_NEW file. For that i... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amit.Sagpariya
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Join 2 files with multiple columns: awk/grep/join?

Hello, My apologies if this has been posted elsewhere, I have had a look at several threads but I am still confused how to use these functions. I have two files, each with 5 columns: File A: (tab-delimited) PDB CHAIN Start End Fragment 1avq A 171 176 awyfan 1avq A 172 177 wyfany 1c7k A 2 7... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: InfoSeeker
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use SED to join multiple lines?

Hi guys, anyone know how can i join multiples lines using sed till the end of a file and output to another file in a single line? The end of each line will be replaced with a special char "#". I am using the below SED command, however it seems to remove the last 2 lines. Also not all lines... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: DrivesMeCrazy
12 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

find grep sed commands homework

Use and complete the template provided. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I have to make as home work several commands with gerp find and sed 2. Relevant commands, code, scripts, algorithms: FIND command -use command find... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ViruS89
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using a combination of sort/cut/grep/awk/join/paste/sed

I have a file and need to only select users that have a shell of “/bin/bash” in the line using awk or sed please help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: boyboy1212
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed, join lines that do not match pattern

Hello, Could someone help me with sed. I have searched for solution 5 days allready :wall:, but cant find. Unfortunately my "sed" knowledge not good enough to manage it. I have the text: 123, foo1, bar1, short text1, dat1e, stable_pattern 124, foo2, bar2, long text with few lines, date,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: petrasl
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Join the line on delimiter using sed/awk in UNIX

I've input as , abcd| ef 123456| 78| 90 Desired output as, abcdef 1234567890 Anyone please give the solution. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jinixvimal
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Join lines using sed or awk

Hi, I have text file that looks like this: blabla bla PATTERN LINE1 LINE2 bla bla bla PATTERN LINE1 LINE2 bla PATTERN LINE1 LINE2 bla (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hench
9 Replies
JOIN(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   JOIN(1)

NAME
join -- relational database operator SYNOPSIS
join [-a file_number | -v file_number] [-e string] [-o list] [-t char] [-1 field] [-2 field] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
The join utility performs an ``equality join'' on the specified files and writes the result to the standard output. The ``join field'' is the field in each file by which the files are compared. The first field in each line is used by default. There is one line in the output for each pair of lines in file1 and file2 which have identical join fields. Each output line consists of the join field, the remaining fields from file1 and then the remaining fields from file2. The default field separators are tab and space characters. In this case, multiple tabs and spaces count as a single field separator, and leading tabs and spaces are ignored. The default output field separator is a single space character. Many of the options use file and field numbers. Both file numbers and field numbers are 1 based, i.e. the first file on the command line is file number 1 and the first field is field number 1. The following options are available: -a file_number In addition to the default output, produce a line for each unpairable line in file file_number. -e string Replace empty output fields with string. -o list The -o option specifies the fields that will be output from each file for each line with matching join fields. Each element of list has the either the form 'file_number.field', where file_number is a file number and field is a field number, or the form '0' (zero), representing the join field. The elements of list must be either comma (``,'') or whitespace separated. (The latter requires quot- ing to protect it from the shell, or, a simpler approach is to use multiple -o options.) -t char Use character char as a field delimiter for both input and output. Every occurrence of char in a line is significant. -v file_number Do not display the default output, but display a line for each unpairable line in file file_number. The options -v 1 and -v 2 may be specified at the same time. -1 field Join on the field'th field of file 1. -2 field Join on the field'th field of file 2. When the default field delimiter characters are used, the files to be joined should be ordered in the collating sequence of sort(1), using the -b option, on the fields on which they are to be joined, otherwise join may not report all field matches. When the field delimiter char- acters are specified by the -t option, the collating sequence should be the same as sort(1) without the -b option. If one of the arguments file1 or file2 is ``-'', the standard input is used. DIAGNOSTICS
The join utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. COMPATIBILITY
For compatibility with historic versions of join, the following options are available: -a In addition to the default output, produce a line for each unpairable line in both file 1 and file 2. -j1 field Join on the field'th field of file 1. -j2 field Join on the field'th field of file 2. -j field Join on the field'th field of both file 1 and file 2. -o list ... Historical implementations of join permitted multiple arguments to the -o option. These arguments were of the form 'file_number.field_number' as described for the current -o option. This has obvious difficulties in the presence of files named '1.2'. These options are available only so historic shellscripts don't require modification and should not be used. STANDARDS
The join command conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). SEE ALSO
awk(1), comm(1), paste(1), sort(1), uniq(1) BSD
April 18, 2002 BSD