Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Join two commands sed and grep Post 302838521 by kaav06 on Tuesday 30th of July 2013 01:55:11 AM
Old 07-30-2013
Join two commands sed and grep

Hi all,

I have two separate commands which I would like to join. Basically, I want to match a line and insert a character at the end of the previous line to the matched line

Here is what I have got
Code:
grep -B1 '^>'
sed 's/$/*/'

Any help is much appreciated thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

to join the corresponding lines using shell commands or awk

Suppose u have this file gi_1 ABCDEFDHIJ KMNOPQRSTU VWXYZABCDE gi_2 JKLMNOPQRS TUVWXYZABC DEFGHIJKLM gi_3 PQRSTUVWXY ZABCDEFGHI JKLMNOPQRS gi_4 CDEFGHIJKL MNOPQRSTUV WXYZABCDEF gi_5 IJKLMNOPQR STUVWXYZAB CDEFGHIJKLM FGHIJKLMNO PQRSTUVWXY ZABCDEFABC NOPQRSTUVW XYZABCDEFG... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdfd123
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk, join or sed

$ cat file1 a:23:43 A B C a:24:21 a:23:44 S D A F a:24:44 a:23:45 S D E a:24:45 $ cat file2 a:23:53 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jkl_jkl
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Join, GREP

Hi All, I have 2 file. ACC_NUM contains only account numbers & ACC_DETAIL contains all information including account number seperated by ~ delimiter. i am serching the account number in ACC_DETAIL from ACC_NUM. If it is exist, then copy all information in ACC_DETAIL_NEW file. For that i... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amit.Sagpariya
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Join 2 files with multiple columns: awk/grep/join?

Hello, My apologies if this has been posted elsewhere, I have had a look at several threads but I am still confused how to use these functions. I have two files, each with 5 columns: File A: (tab-delimited) PDB CHAIN Start End Fragment 1avq A 171 176 awyfan 1avq A 172 177 wyfany 1c7k A 2 7... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: InfoSeeker
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use SED to join multiple lines?

Hi guys, anyone know how can i join multiples lines using sed till the end of a file and output to another file in a single line? The end of each line will be replaced with a special char "#". I am using the below SED command, however it seems to remove the last 2 lines. Also not all lines... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: DrivesMeCrazy
12 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

find grep sed commands homework

Use and complete the template provided. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I have to make as home work several commands with gerp find and sed 2. Relevant commands, code, scripts, algorithms: FIND command -use command find... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ViruS89
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using a combination of sort/cut/grep/awk/join/paste/sed

I have a file and need to only select users that have a shell of “/bin/bash” in the line using awk or sed please help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: boyboy1212
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed, join lines that do not match pattern

Hello, Could someone help me with sed. I have searched for solution 5 days allready :wall:, but cant find. Unfortunately my "sed" knowledge not good enough to manage it. I have the text: 123, foo1, bar1, short text1, dat1e, stable_pattern 124, foo2, bar2, long text with few lines, date,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: petrasl
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Join the line on delimiter using sed/awk in UNIX

I've input as , abcd| ef 123456| 78| 90 Desired output as, abcdef 1234567890 Anyone please give the solution. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jinixvimal
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Join lines using sed or awk

Hi, I have text file that looks like this: blabla bla PATTERN LINE1 LINE2 bla bla bla PATTERN LINE1 LINE2 bla PATTERN LINE1 LINE2 bla (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hench
9 Replies
IO::Async::Protocol::LineStream(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation		      IO::Async::Protocol::LineStream(3pm)

NAME
"IO::Async::Protocol::LineStream" - stream-based protocols using lines of text SYNOPSIS
Most likely this class will be subclassed to implement a particular network protocol. package Net::Async::HelloWorld; use strict; use warnings; use base qw( IO::Async::Protocol::LineStream ); sub on_read_line { my $self = shift; my ( $line ) = @_; if( $line =~ m/^HELLO (.*)/ ) { my $name = $1; $self->invoke_event( on_hello => $name ); } } sub send_hello { my $self = shift; my ( $name ) = @_; $self->write_line( "HELLO $name" ); } This small example elides such details as error handling, which a real protocol implementation would be likely to contain. DESCRIPTION
EVENTS
The following events are invoked, either using subclass methods or CODE references in parameters: on_read_line $line Invoked when a new complete line of input is received. PARAMETERS
The following named parameters may be passed to "new" or "configure": on_read_line => CODE CODE reference for the "on_read_line" event. METHODS
$lineprotocol->write_line( $text ) Writes a line of text to the transport stream. The text will have the end-of-line marker appended to it; $text should not end with it. AUTHOR
Paul Evans <leonerd@leonerd.org.uk> perl v5.14.2 2012-10-24 IO::Async::Protocol::LineStream(3pm)