Sponsored Content
Top Forums Web Development (WHM) Primary Resolver and Nameserver confusion Post 302838413 by Astrocloud on Monday 29th of July 2013 02:43:57 PM
Old 07-29-2013
Question (WHM) Primary Resolver and Nameserver confusion

Okay,

I know generally how the internet works but here I am confused. Every website that I've worked on prior to this had a vendor providing Nameserver services -Meaning that I just pointed my DNS to their server and they do the rest.

Now, I am confused by what the Primary Resolver is supposed to point to. I am supposed to use WHM as a private nameserver but then does the Primary resolver point to itself? That doesn't seem right. Do I have to set this up? Can I remove it?

Say for example I have a website named: FatUnixGuy.com and I have two fixed IP addresses reserved for this at 192.168.22.10 and 192.168.22.11

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

need advice on nameserver configuration

on a Red Hat server I am running name server (ns1.mynameserver.com , ns2.mynameserver.com) can anybody advice how to set my server so that it automatically forwards domains that have ns1.mynameserver.com , ns2.mynameserver.com as nameserver address to a specific url/page, without actually adding... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wanex
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

nslookup *** Can't initialize resolver

Has anyone seen this message before? I have a DNS problem. Recently DNS has been moved to two new servers, which I can ping. I changed the /etc/resolv.conf to point to these boxes but now I get the *** Can't initialize resolver message. Any ideas? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: korfnz
2 Replies

3. UNIX and Linux Applications

BIND (Name Server & Resolver)

Hi, i'm looking information about how BIND (Name Server & Resolver) works... And how Server/Client communicates... I found a lot of information of what BIND is and how to configure it, but nothing about how it works, does anybody know where i can found something useful?? I don't need code, just... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sandia_man
3 Replies

4. Red Hat

two dns search with 4 nameserver

Hi all, Does someone use this kind of config on /etc/resolv.conf? search domain1.com domain2.com nameserver 1.x.x.x nameserver 2.x.x.x nameserver 3.x.x.x nameserver 4.x.x.x Is that going to work properly? I heard that only 3 lines are enabled on resolv.conf. Is that true? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: itik
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

NameServer not accessible

Hi everybody I am facing a little problem with names servers. I have a VPS with Kloxo installed on it I have registered 2 name servers (i.e. ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com) past one month. These nameservers are not accessible yet. I have check the nameserver on internic site and they are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rizwan65
3 Replies

6. HP-UX

Which nameserver is used?

Hello, i change the nameserver in the resolv.conf file and want to test the new settings. On Linux i can call nslookup and it shows the nameserver which is used: ># nslookup www.unix.com Server: XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX Address: XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX#53 Non-authoritative answer:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: soeren1176
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

WHM Crontab and Folder Renaming to current date

Hello, i am trying to rename a folder named 'cpbackup' to current date in our WHM Root via setting up a cronetab entry. but the folder does not get renamed on the scheduled time :confused: */1 * * * * timestamp=$(date +%m%d%Y);/bin/mv /ac_backups/cpbackup /ac_backups/$timestamp (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kandyjet
4 Replies

8. IP Networking

[Android-Networking] can't acces internet, while settings says all is ok => Routing/Nameserver prob

Hello, since a while, i have a very strange and frustrating network problem with my Huawei p6(Android 4.4.2). The ROM is "Omni Rom", i think - but it shouldn't matter. The problem is: when i try to connect through wlan (i have no mobile internet), according to the network manager of android,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Palindrom
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bind: Can you configure multiple domains using the same nameserver

Can you add multiple domains to a nameserver without creating a new IP address? I have one IP address on my machine and have configured forward and reverse zone files. Names are resolving fine. I know I can add another domain to the named.conf file and create new forward and reverse files. what... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinuxGirl
2 Replies
RLM_IPPOOL_TOOL(8)					      System Manager's Manual						RLM_IPPOOL_TOOL(8)

NAME
rlm_ippool_tool - dump the contents of the FreeRadius ippool database files SYNOPSIS
If an ipaddress is specified then that address is used to limit the actions or output. rlm_ippool_tool [-a] [-c] [-o] [-v] session-db index-db [ipaddress] Mark the entry nasIP/nasPort as having ipaddress rlm_ippool_tool -n session-db index-db ipaddress nasIP nasPort Update old format database to new. rlm_ippool_tool -u session-db new-session-db DESCRIPTION
rlm_ippool_tool dumps the contents of the FreeRADIUS ippool databases for analyses or for removal of active (stuck?) entries. Or with the -n argument adds a usage entry to the FreeRADIUS ippool databases. OPTIONS
-a Print all active entries. -c Report number of active entries. -r Remove active entries. -v Verbose report of all entries. -o Assume old database format (nas/port pair, not md5 output). -n Mark the entry nasIP/nasPort as having ipaddress. -u Update old format database to new. EXAMPLES
Given the syntax in the FreeRadius radiusd.conf: ippool myippool { range-start = 192.168.1.0 range-stop = 192.168.1.255 [...] session-db = ${raddbdir}/ip-pool.db ip-index = ${raddbdir}/ip-index.db } To see the number of active entries in this pool, use: $ rlm_ippool_tool -c ip-pool.db ip-index.db 13 To see all active entries in this pool, use: $ rlm_ippool_tool -a ip-pool.db ip-index.db 192.168.1.5 192.168.1.82 192.168.1.244 192.168.1.57 192.168.1.120 192.168.1.27 [...] To see all information about the active entries in the use, use: $ rlm_ippool_tool -av ip-pool.db ip-index.db NAS:172.16.1.1 port:0x2e8 - ipaddr:192.168.1.5 active:1 cli:0 num:1 NAS:172.16.1.1 port:0x17c - ipaddr:192.168.1.82 active:1 cli:0 num:1 NAS:172.16.1.1 port:0x106 - ipaddr:192.168.1.244 active:1 cli:0 num:1 NAS:172.16.1.1 port:0x157 - ipaddr:192.168.1.57 active:1 cli:0 num:1 NAS:172.16.1.1 port:0x2d8 - ipaddr:192.168.1.120 active:1 cli:0 num:1 NAS:172.16.1.1 port:0x162 - ipaddr:192.168.1.27 active:1 cli:0 num:1 [...] To see only information of one entry, use: $ rlm_ippool_tool -v ip-pool.db ip-index.db 192.168.1.1 NAS:172.16.1.1 port:0x90 - ipaddr:192.168.1.1 active:0 cli:0 num:0 To add an IP address usage entry, use: $ rlm_ippool_tool -n ip-pool.db ip-index.db 192.168.1.1 172.16.1.1 0x90 rlm_ippool_tool: Allocating ip to nas/port: 172.16.1.1/144 rlm_ippool_tool: num: 1 rlm_ippool_tool: Allocated ip 192.168.1.1 to client on nas 172.16.1.1,port 144 SEE ALSO
radiusd(8) AUTHORS
Currently part of the FreeRADIUS Project (http://www.freeradius.org) Originally by Edwin Groothuis, edwin@mavetju.org (http://www.mavetju.org) Mailing list details are at http://www.freeradius.org/ RLM_IPPOOL_TOOL(8)