Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Trouble with alphanumeric Sort Post 302838351 by Don Cragun on Monday 29th of July 2013 11:45:33 AM
Old 07-29-2013
If all of your files are in the same directory (or you want the directory name to be part of the primary sort key, all of your filenames contain 3 underscore characters, and you want the 1st three underscore separated fields sorted alphanumerically and the 4th field to be sorted numerically as the final sort key, the following simple sort command does what you want:
Code:
sort -t_ -k1,3 -k4,4n list

With the sample input you showed, this command produces the output:
Code:
/vol/close_eng_ice_0888
/vol/open_eng_ice_0890
/vol/open_eng_ice_0893
/vol/open_eng_ice_08923
/vol/zebra_eng_ice_022

Last edited by Don Cragun; 07-29-2013 at 12:46 PM.. Reason: Fix typo

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort command - alphanumeric

I have a file I'm trying to sort such as fred1 fred2 fred10 fred11 ... when I sort I get fred1 fred10 fred11 fred2 ... using sort can any give me the syntax to sort this is dict order e.g., (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gefa
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AlphaNumeric String Operations

Hi :) I am writing a ksh I have a string of general format A12B3456CD78 the string is of variable length the string always ends with numbers (here it is 78.. it can be any number of digits may be 789 or just 7) before these ending numbers are alphabets (here it is CD can even be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lakshmikanth
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

alphanumeric comparision

I have a requirement where I need to check if where r1v07l09ab is a software release. I should always check for this to be true to continue the release deployment because an older release should not be deployed by mistake. I mean only the release greater than the current release should be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshou
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

alphanumeric Sorting

Hi , I have a requirement where one column have to be sorted (delimiter is pipe) for eg: My input filed is as below 1|FIAT|0010103|23011|01/01/2000|31/12/9999|1.15 2|232|613|1 2|234|743|1 2|234|793|1 2|234|893|1 1|FIAT|0010103|23012|01/01/2000|31/12/9999|1.15 2|230|006|0 2|230|106|0... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: laxmi131
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

get rid of non-alphanumeric characters

Hi! Could anyone so kindly help me a code to eliminate from a txt file, obtained by collecting and merge several web-page, every word (string) containing non alphabetical, numeric and punctuation character (i.e NON a-zA-Z0-9, underscore and punctuation mark)? Thanks a lot for the help to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjomba
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alphanumeric to integer

Hi folks, I have a value like A12,i could able to change this into integer using typeset as below typeset -i A12 But, I need your advice to change the values like 1A2 or 12A into integer. Thanks in advance. Thanks, Sathish (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bsathishmca
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl regex and sort trouble

Hi so I have these files where the first thing in them says something along the lines of "This document was accessed 'date' blah blah", I was thinking of a way to extract that date and then sort the files based on that date. My question is how do I get rid of the words in that statement so that... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vas28r13
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Parsing alphanumeric variables

Hi All, I have files with a column which has values and ranges, for example colA colB ERD1 3456 ERD2 ERD3 4456 I want to have the following output colA colB colC ERD1 3456 3456 ERD2 526887 526890 ERD3 4456 4456 Being a newbie to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alpesh
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Want to sort a file which contains alphanumeric strings

I want to sort a file which contains alphanumeric string. bash-3.00$ cat abc mtng1so mtng2so mtng11so mtng9so mtng23so mtng7so hstg2so hstg9so hstg1so hstg11so hstg13so bash-3.00$ Want output like this, using one liner. hstg1so (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Raza Ali
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort two columns with alphanumeric values horizontally

Hi, I have a file like aa bb dmns|860 dmns|756 ee ff aa bb dmns|310 dmns|260 ee ff aa bb dmns|110 dmns|77 ee ff aa bb dmns|756 dmns|860 ee ff aa bb dmns|110 dmns|77 ee ff aa bb dmns|233 dmns|79 ee ff aa bb dmns|79 dmns|233 ee ff I want to sort the values in column3 and column4... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sammy777888
2 Replies
Net::LDAP::Control::Sort(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			       Net::LDAP::Control::Sort(3)

NAME
Net::LDAP::Control::Sort - Server Side Sort (SSS) control object SYNOPSIS
use Net::LDAP::Control::Sort; use Net::LDAP::Constant qw(LDAP_CONTROL_SORTRESULT); $sort = Net::LDAP::Control::Sort->new( order => "cn -phone" ); $mesg = $ldap->search( @args, control => [ $sort ]); ($resp) = $mesg->control( LDAP_CONTROL_SORTRESULT ); print "Results are sorted " if $resp and !$resp->result; DESCRIPTION
"Net::LDAP::Control::Sort" is a sub-class of Net::LDAP::Control. It provides a class for manipulating the LDAP Server Side Sort (SSS) request control 1.2.840.113556.1.4.473 as defined in RFC-2891 If the server supports sorting, then the response from a search operation will include a sort result control. This control is handled by Net::LDAP::Control::SortResult. CONSTRUCTOR ARGUMENTS
order A string which defines how entries may be sorted. It consists of multiple directives, spearated by whitespace. Each directive describes how to sort entries using a single attribute. If two entries have identical attributes, then the next directive in the list is used. Each directive specifies a sorting order as follows -attributeType:orderingRule The leading "-" is optional, and if present indicates that the sorting order should be reversed. "attributeType" is the attribute name to sort by. "orderingRule" is optional and indicates the rule to use for the sort and should be valid for the given "attributeType". Any one attributeType should only appear once in the sorting list. Examples "cn" sort by cn using the default ordering rule for the cn attribute "-cn" sort by cn using the reverse of the default ordering rule "age cn" sort by age first, then by cn using the default ordering rules "cn:1.2.3.4" sort by cn using the ordering rule defined as 1.2.3.4 METHODS
As with Net::LDAP::Control each constructor argument described above is also available as a method on the object which will return the current value for the attribute if called without an argument, and set a new value for the attribute if called with an argument. SEE ALSO
Net::LDAP, Net::LDAP::Control::SortResult, Net::LDAP::Control, http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2891.txt AUTHOR
Graham Barr <gbarr@pobox.com> Please report any bugs, or post any suggestions, to the perl-ldap mailing list <perl-ldap@perl.org> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1999-2004 Graham Barr. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.2 2012-09-20 Net::LDAP::Control::Sort(3)