Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: OpenSolaris UFS Question
Operating Systems Solaris OpenSolaris UFS Question Post 302838323 by jlliagre on Monday 29th of July 2013 11:30:30 AM
Old 07-29-2013
@achenle You can't mount a whole disk (outside floppies and usb keys), only slices or partitions are mountable with disks that have a fdisk partition and/or a sun label. You method is right but one step is missing, i.e. extracting the slice to a file to be lofi mounted.

By the way, replacing the partition id to either 0x63 or 0x82 is indeed a mandatory prerequisite I already suggested in post #6 (although in decimal as fdisk reports it that way).

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UFS partition

Hi all, I have FreeBSD and Debian in my HD, the FreeBSD partition is very small and I'd like to change. I try to use partition magic but it does not work with UFS parition. Anyone know a good partition software? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SeVEn
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

solaris File system question ( UFS )

Hello all, I'm ufs file system, how can u use the same disk in another machine with the data in tact? to make it clear, I've an ufs FS in a mount point /file1 ( 8GB). now they decide to reintall the OS. After the reinstall, how can i get the same data as it is? will mounting the disk as /file1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: i2admin
3 Replies

3. Solaris

UFS Version

Hi, Can anyone help me. I would like to know the ufs version on solaris 7 & 8. Also i would like to know is there any command to verify it. Regards, Raja (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RajaRC
1 Replies

4. Solaris

UFS logging

I have a couple of servers where something weird is going on. When I run the command "mount | grep logging" I get something similair to this / on /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 read/write/setuid/devices/intr/largefiles/logging/xattr/onerror=panic/dev=220000 But when I look at /etc/vfstab I dont... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: csaunders
6 Replies

5. AIX

Ufs

Hi i have 2 know the full details of unix file systems. some one please help me (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sathish2win
1 Replies

6. Solaris

UFS filesystem mounted on 2 hosts question

I have two Unix (Solaris) hosts that are both attached to our SAN. They are both presented with the same luns. What I want to do is have the same UFS filesystem mounted on both hosts at the same time. What I am trying to accomplish is creating a zone that will reside on both hosts but only... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: beaker457
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Zones not in ufs

Hi All, I am installing Solaris Kernel Update Patch 2.1 When I am installing , An error message is saying that Non Global Zones is not mounted in ufs. I have two non global zones. When i see in the vfstab , the filesystem in vxfs. I dont know whether it will give any impact... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
2 Replies

8. Solaris

UFS defragmentation

is there any other/better way to defragment the ufs slice instead of backup+restore? how to tell which slice needs defragmenting? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: orange47
2 Replies
mkdevalloc(1M)						  System Administration Commands					    mkdevalloc(1M)

NAME
mkdevalloc - Make device_allocate entries SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/mkdevalloc DESCRIPTION
The mkdevalloc command writes to standard out a set of device_allocate(4) entries describing the system's frame buffer, audio and removable media devices. The mkdevalloc command is used by the init.d(4) scripts to create or update the /etc/security/device_allocate file. Entries are generated based on the device special files found in /dev. For the different categories of devices, the mkdevalloc command checks for the following files under /dev: audio /dev/audio, /dev/audioctl, /dev/sound/... tape /dev/rst*, /dev/nrst*, /dev/rmt/... floppy /dev/diskette, /dev/fd*, /dev/rdiskette, /dev/rfd* removable disk /dev/sr*, /dev/nsr*, /dev/dsk/c0t?d0s?, /dev/rdsk/c0t?d0s? frame buffer /dev/fb All entries set the device-minimum and device-maximum fields to the hex representations of ADMIN_LOW and ADMIN_HIGH, respectively. The device-authorization field is set to solaris.device.allocate, except for the framebuffer entry, where it is set to *. The device-name, device-type and device-clean fields are set to the following values: device-name device-type device-clean audio audio audio audio_clean_wrapper tape mag_tape_0,1,... st st_clean floppy floppy_0,1,... fd disk_clean removable disk cdrom_0,1,... sr disk_clean frame buffer framebuffer fb /bin/true ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Obsolete | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
allocate(1), bsmconv(1M), attributes(5) NOTES
mkdevalloc might not be supported in a future release of the Solaris operating system. SunOS 5.10 8 Oct 2003 mkdevalloc(1M)