Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using awk on multiple files in a directory Post 302837911 by RudiC on Saturday 27th of July 2013 12:56:41 PM
Old 07-27-2013
I think this is as close as you can get:
Code:
awk     'FNR == 1               {if (NR > 1) {print fn, "text1", fnr, "text2", nl}
                                 fn=FILENAME; fnr = 1; nl = 0}
                                {fnr = FNR}
         /customer.*processed/  {nl++}
         END                    {print fn, "text1", fnr, "text2", nl}
        ' file?

As you want the line count per file, you need to read every file entirely; I don't see much chance to improve on speed...
This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

ftp multiple files from same directory

Hi there Gurus, I have the following ftp script: $ more ftp_dump_arch4.sh #! /usr/bin/ksh # Constant variables HOST='xx.xx.xx.xx' USER='user' PASSWD='password' dir='/export/file' ftp_log='/tmp' ftp -n $HOST > $ftp_log/ftp.log << END user $USER $PASSWD verbose lcd $dir bin (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lweegp
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple search string in multiple files using awk

Hi, filenames: contains name of list of files to search in. placelist contains the names of places to be searched in all files in "filenames" for i in $(<filenames) do egrep -f placelist $i if ] then echo $i fi done >> outputfile Output i am getting: (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract multiple cloumns from multiple files; skip rows and include filenames; awk

Hello, I am trying to write a bash shell script that does the following: 1.Finds all *.txt files within my directory of interest 2. reads each of the files (25 files) one by one (tab-delimited format and have the same data format) 3. skips the first 10 rows of the file 4. extracts and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manishabh
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Pull out multiple files from DB table and redirect all those files to a differetn directory?

Hi everyone!! I have a database table, which has file_name as one of its fields. Example: File_ID File_Name Directory Size 0001 UNO_1232 /apps/opt 234 0002 UNO_1234 /apps/opt 788 0003 UNO_1235 /apps/opt 897 0004 UNO_1236 /apps/opt 568 I have to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ss3944
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

best method of replacing multiple strings in multiple files - sed or awk? most simple preferred :)

Hi guys, say I have a few files in a directory (58 text files or somthing) each one contains mulitple strings that I wish to replace with other strings so in these 58 files I'm looking for say the following strings: JAM (replace with BUTTER) BREAD (replace with CRACKER) SCOOP (replace... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: rich@ardz
19 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using AWK: Extract data from multiple files and output to multiple new files

Hi, I'd like to process multiple files. For example: file1.txt file2.txt file3.txt Each file contains several lines of data. I want to extract a piece of data and output it to a new file. file1.txt ----> newfile1.txt file2.txt ----> newfile2.txt file3.txt ----> newfile3.txt Here is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Liverpaul09
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

apply record separator to multiple files within a directory using awk

Hi, I have a bunch of records within a directory where each one has this form: (example file1) 1 2 50 90 80 90 43512 98 0909 79869 -9 7878 33222 8787 9090 89898 7878 8989 7878 6767 89 89 78676 9898 000 7878 5656 5454 5454 and i want for all of these files to be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amarn
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

perform 3 awk commands to multiple files in multiple directories

Hi, I have a directory /home/datasets/ which contains a bunch (720) of subdirectories called hour_1/ hour_2/ etc..etc.. in each of these there is a single text file called (hour_1.txt in hour_1/ , hour_2.txt for hour_2/ etc..etc..) and i would like to do some text processing in them. Each of... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: amarn
20 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Multiple files with the same name in the same directory

Hi, Is it possible to have multiple files with the same name in a same unix directory? Eg., in the path \tmp, can we have 2 files with the same name as SALES_data_20120124.TXT? I heard it is possible if the user id that is created the files are different and with some ids, a new gets... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vijay81
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk, multiple files input and multiple files output

Hi! I'm new in awk and I need some help. I have a folder with a lot of files and I need that awk do something in each file and print a new file with the output. The input file name should be modified when I print the outpu files. Thanks in advance for help! :-) ciao (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabrysfe
5 Replies
SUBSTR_COUNT(3) 							 1							   SUBSTR_COUNT(3)

substr_count - Count the number of substring occurrences

SYNOPSIS
int substr_count (string $haystack, string $needle, [int $offset], [int $length]) DESCRIPTION
substr_count(3) returns the number of times the $needle substring occurs in the $haystack string. Please note that $needle is case sensi- tive. Note This function doesn't count overlapped substrings. See the example below! PARAMETERS
o $haystack - The string to search in o $needle - The substring to search for o $offset - The offset where to start counting o $length - The maximum length after the specified offset to search for the substring. It outputs a warning if the offset plus the length is greater than the $haystack length. RETURN VALUES
This function returns an integer. CHANGELOG
+--------+-----------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+-----------------------------------------------+ | 5.1.0 | | | | | | | Added the $offset and the $length parameters | | | | +--------+-----------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 A substr_count(3) example <?php $text = 'This is a test'; echo strlen($text); // 14 echo substr_count($text, 'is'); // 2 // the string is reduced to 's is a test', so it prints 1 echo substr_count($text, 'is', 3); // the text is reduced to 's i', so it prints 0 echo substr_count($text, 'is', 3, 3); // generates a warning because 5+10 > 14 echo substr_count($text, 'is', 5, 10); // prints only 1, because it doesn't count overlapped substrings $text2 = 'gcdgcdgcd'; echo substr_count($text2, 'gcdgcd'); ?> SEE ALSO
count_chars(3), strpos(3), substr(3), strstr(3). PHP Documentation Group SUBSTR_COUNT(3)