Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Cut parameterized command
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Cut parameterized command Post 302837335 by Corona688 on Thursday 25th of July 2013 02:09:40 PM
Old 07-25-2013
Read my posts again, the 'simple' way is the very first thing I posted. For a quick-fix or something you only do once, it will do.

If you call it in a loop more than once, you will find it is extremely slow and may want to try one of the other options.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cut command

Hello, The below cut command will cut first 1 to 10 characters and also from 20th position to 25th position. cut -c1-10,20-25 tst.txt It works great. Is it possible to put some characters after each field. I want to have something like this 1234567890|ABCDEF I want to put some... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sanjay92
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using CUT Command

cut -d',' -f1 file | sort | uniq -c Im trying to execute the above script. For First time: the output is: 1 80 50 100 200 abcd 333 fds but for the second time it displays all the rows, Can anyone help me why it is happening, I want to get the exact... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with cut command

Gurus, I need help with the cut command : I have a file with garbage charaters at the beginning of each record; but these characters are not of the same length; First record has 3 garbage chars to be removed; rest have 2; If the length was consistent across all the records, I could have... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tru_tell
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut Command Help Please

Hey Guys, I'm trying to use the cut command to do the following: "AuctionID","UserID","BidderRating","Bid","BidDateTime" 1070387924,"rmichaelll",46,407.00,2/12/2002 14:07:44 1070387924,"decocloxcolektor",155,402.00,2/12/2002 14:07:28 1070387924,"markartz",6,350.00,2/12/2002 11:11:52... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gboy
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parameterized ed command

Hi!, i have a problem when i trying to replace, in this script, the number five with a variable. ed file <<< $'1,5d\nw' i need something like that ed file <<< $'1,${VAR}d\nw' I believe that ' can not be replaced with " in this sentence, because i tried it and throws "?" (an error... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: acctoujours
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut Command error cut: Bad range

Hi Can anyone what I am doing wrong while using cut command. for f in *.log do logfilename=$f Log "Log file Name: $logfilename" logfile1=`basename $logfilename .log` flength=${#logfile1} Log "file length $flength" from_length=$(($flength - 15)) Log "from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgmm
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cut pid from ps using cut command

hay i am trying to get JUST the PID from the ps command. my command line is: ps -ef | grep "mintty" | cut -d' ' -f2 but i get an empty line. i assume that the delimiter is not just one space character, but can't figure out what should i do in order to do that. i know i can use awk or cut... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ran ber
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut command help

I have file like this ... $ cat /etc/sysconfig/clock ZONE="US/Arizona" UTC=true ARC=false I want to get value of ZONE into variable and I am writing like this .. d_var=`cat /etc/sysconfig/clock | grep ZONE | cut -f2 -d=` I want to remove " " around the value . How to include... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: talashil
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Cut command: can't make it cut fields

I'm a complete beginner in UNIX (and not a computer science student either), just undergoing a tutoring course. Trying to replicate the instructions on my own I directed output of the ls listing command (lists all files of my home directory ) to My_dir.tsv file (see the screenshot) to make use of... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: scrutinizerix
9 Replies
postwait(2)							System Calls Manual						       postwait(2)

NAME
postwait: pw_getukid(), pw_wait(), pw_post(), pw_postv(), pw_getvmax() - lightweight synchronization mechanism SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
Postwait is a fast, lightweight sleep/wakeup mechanism that can be used for synchronization by cooperating kernel threads within a single process or between separate processes. A thread calls to block. It resumes execution when it is posted by another thread, the call expires, or is signaled. If one or more posts are already pending, returns immediately. Threads using postwait are identified by their ukid. A thread retrieves its ukid by calling It shares this ukid with anyone it chooses by any means it considers appropriate (for example, shared memory). is called with a timeout ts. If ts is NULL, the thread will not timeout. It will remain blocked until posted or a signal wakes it up. If ts points to a zero-valued timespec, will return immediately with a value (and indicating whether or not it was posted. If ts points to a timespec whose value is greater than zero, the thread will block for that amount of time unless it is posted or inter- rupted by a signal, in which case the timespec pointed to by ts is updated with the remaining time. The return value and are set to indi- cate the reason the call returned. is used to post many threads with a single call. It posts to all threads in the targets array. An value for each target is returned in the errors array. (0 indicates success.) If the errors pointer is zero, no target-specific errors are copied out. There is a maximum number of threads that can be posted with a single call. This value is returned by Posts sent to a kernel thread that already has a post pending against it are discarded. RETURN VALUE
returns 0 if it succeeds, -1 otherwise. returns 0 if posted, -1 otherwise. returns 0 if the post succeeds, -1 otherwise. returns 0 if every post succeeds, -1 otherwise. returns the maximum number of kernel threads that can be posted with a single call to ERRORS
sets to one of the following values if it fails: ukid points to an illegal address. The reliable detection of this error is implementation dependent. sets to one of the following values if it fails: was called with a timeout of 0 but the caller has no post(s) pending. was called with a timeout that expired. ts points to an illegal address. The reliable detection of this error is implementation dependent. was interrupted by a signal. The timespec pointed to by ts is invalid. sets to one of the following values if it fails: The ukid refers to a non-existent kernel thread. sets to one of the following values if it fails: targets points to an illegal address. The reliable detection of this error is implementation dependent. errors points to an illegal address. The reliable detection of this error is implementation dependent. count is less than 0. count exceeds the maximum value (as returned by A ukid refers to a non-existent kernel thread. postwait(2)