Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming What is use of "char __user *buf"? Post 302837267 by shamrock on Thursday 25th of July 2013 12:29:37 PM
Old 07-25-2013
The use of char __user *buf is typically found in the linux kernel...denoting that this address is in the user space. For example when writing to disk the kernel copies the contents of *buf into a kernel space buffer before writing it out to disk. Similarly when a process requests a read operation...the device driver at the behest of the kernel reads the desired disk blocks into a kernel space buffer...and then copies them into the user space buffer pointed to by *buf.
These 3 Users Gave Thanks to shamrock For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk "Invalid char ' in expession" error

I have an HP PPM (ITG) application that is running an awk command in cygwin bash shell as part of ITG process moving SAP transports on a Windows 2003 server. The awk command checks the first two characters of a file containing return code that was retrieved from the SAP server. It is throwing the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: accsam1
3 Replies

3. Solaris

significance of "+" char in SunOS "ls -l" output

Hi, I've noticed that the permissions output from "ls -l" under SunOS differs from Linux in that after the "rwxrwxrwx" field, there is an additional "+" character that may or may not be there. What is the significance of this character? Thanks, Suan (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sayeo
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

5. Programming

Small query regarding function "char * strerror(int errnum)"

As this function returns the address of the string corressponding to the errno value provided to it. Can someone please let me know where, in the memory, it could be (on freeBSD). The MAN page tells under the BUG section that "For unknown error numbers, the strerror() function will return its... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Praveen_218
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move a line containg "char" above line containing "xchar"

Okay, so I have a rather large text file and will have to process many more and this will save me hours of work. I'm not very good at scripting, so bear with me please. Working on Linux RHEL I've been able to filter and edit and clean up using sed, but I have a problem with moving lines. ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rex007can
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

VI editor keeps automatically adding new lines with "P" char ..

Hello, I am on AIX operating system. Recently, when I open any file in vi editor, it starting adding lines automatically with "P" char in the beginning of each line. This also happens when I open crontab ( crontab -e) ..I have looked in to my .profile and nothing has changed in there for such... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shethkb
4 Replies
kvm_kread(3KVM) 					    Kernel VM Library Functions 					   kvm_kread(3KVM)

NAME
kvm_kread, kvm_kwrite, kvm_uread, kvm_uwrite - copy data to or from a kernel image or running system SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag... ] file... -lkvm [ library...] #include <kvm.h> ssize_t kvm_kread(kvm_t *kd, uintptr_t addr, void *buf, size_t nbytes); ssize_t kvm_kwrite(kvm_t *kd, uintptr_t addr, void *buf, size_t nbytes); ssize_t kvm_uread(kvm_t *kd, uintptr_t addr, void *buf, size_t nbytes); ssize_t kvm_uwrite(kvm_t *kd, uintptr_t addr, void *buf, size_t nbytes); DESCRIPTION
The kvm_kread() function transfers data from the kernel address space to the address space of the process. nbytes bytes of data are copied from the kernel virtual address given by addr to the buffer pointed to by buf. The kvm_kwrite() function is like kvm_kread(), except that the direction of the transfer is reversed. To use this function, the kvm_open(3KVM) call that returned kd must have specified write access. The kvm_uread() function transfers data from the address space of the processes specified in the most recent kvm_getu(3KVM) call. nbytes bytes of data are copied from the user virtual address given by addr to the buffer pointed to by buf. The kvm_uwrite() function is like kvm_uread(), except that the direction of the transfer is reversed. To use this function, the kvm_open(3KVM) call that returned kd must have specified write access. The address is resolved in the address space of the process speci- fied in the most recent kvm_getu(3KVM) call. RETURN VALUES
On success, these functions return the number of bytes actually transferred. On failure, they return -1. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Stable | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Unsafe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
kvm_getu(3KVM), kvm_nlist(3KVM), kvm_open(3KVM), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 2 May 2002 kvm_kread(3KVM)