Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Print character after pattern found Post 302836929 by Don Cragun on Wednesday 24th of July 2013 11:50:20 PM
Old 07-25-2013
In your sample, the pattern doesn't matter, and your statement specifying your requirements doesn't match the output you say you want (the double quotes are missing in the output).

To get the output you requested from the input you gave (if I guessed correctly about where the CODE tags should have been), you could try something simple like:
Code:
awk -F'"' '{for(i = 2; i < NF; i += 2) print $i}' file

If file contains your sample input, the output produced matches your desired output.

As always, if you're using a Solaris/SunOS system, you need to use /usr/xpg4/bin/awk, /usr/xpg6/bin/awk, or nawk instead of /bin/awk or /usr/bin/awk.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

search a pattern and if pattern found insert new pattern at the begining

I am trying to do some thing like this .. In a file , if pattern found insert new pattern at the begining of the line containing the pattern. example: in a file I have this. gtrow0unit1/gctunit_crrownorth_stage5_outnet_feedthru_pin if i find feedthru_pin want to insert !! at the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pitagi
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print range of lines using sed when pattern has special character "["

Hi, My input has much more lines, but few of them are below pin(IDF) { direction : input; drc_pinsigtype : signal; pin(SELDIV6) { direction : input; drc_pinsigtype : ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nehashine
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find a pattern and print next all character to next space

Hi, I have a big inventory file that is NOT sorted is any way. The file is have "tagged" information like the ip address "*IP=" or the name "*NM=" . How do I get just the ip address or the name and not the whole line? I have tried to use AWK without any success. I always get the whole line... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pierrebjarnfelt
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print the 2nd line everytime after defined pattern is found.

Hi, I have a text file similar to the example below and I want to print the second line every time after the "--------------------------" pattern is found. The pattern is a fixed length of - characters. Example of input; 1 -------------------------- 2 3 39184018234 4 ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: lewk
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

print next word after found pattern

Hi all, I'd like to print the next word after a found pattern. example text: word1 word2 word3 word4 pattern word5 pattern word1 word2 word3 word4 word1 word2 pattern word4 basiclly the word after pattern. Thanks (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: stinkefisch
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print characters till the next space when the pattern is found

i have a file which contains alphanumeric data in every line. what i need is the data after certain pattern. the data after the pattern is not of fixed length so i need the data till the space after the pattern. Input file: bfdkasfbdfg khffkf lkdhfhdf pattern (datarequired data not required)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gpk_newbie
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print Specific lines when found specific character

Hello all, I have thousand file input like this: file1: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$ | | | |$$ $$ UERT | TTYH | TAFE | FRFG |$$ $$______|______|________|______|$$ $$ | | | |$$ $$ 1 | DISK | TR1311 | 1 |$$ $$ 1 |... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: attila
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to print all lines after a pattern is found

Is there a way with aw to print all lines after a string is found There is a file like this ....... ........ 2012/19/11 :11.58 PM some data lne no date 2012/19/11 :11.59 PM some other data 2012/20/11 :12.00 AM some other data some line without dates some more lines without dates... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: swayam123
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy/print all lines between pattern is found in .log files

Hi, I have a folder with multiple (< 33) .log files. And I have to copy the lines between two patterns from all the .log files to a new file. (script file with a loop?) Thanks in advance. 1.log ... .. xx1> begin ... .. .. >>> Total: 2 Alarms .. .. (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: AK47
17 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

If first pattern is found, look for second pattern. If second pattern not found, delete line

I had a spot of trouble coming up with a title, hopefully you'll understand once you read my problem... :) I have the output of an ldapsearch that looks like this: dn: cn=sam,ou=company,o=com uidNumber: 7174 gidNumber: 49563 homeDirectory: /home/sam loginshell: /bin/bash uid: sam... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samgoober
2 Replies
iopattern(1m)							   USER COMMANDS						     iopattern(1m)

NAME
iopattern - print disk I/O pattern. Uses DTrace. SYNOPSIS
iopattern [-v] [-d device] [-f filename] [-m mount_point] [interval [count]] DESCRIPTION
This prints details on the I/O access pattern for the disks, such as percentage of events that were of a random or sequential nature. By default totals for all disks are printed. An event is considered random when the heads seek. This program prints the percentage of events that are random. The size of the seek is not measured - it's either random or not. Since this uses DTrace, only users with root privileges can run this command. OPTIONS
-v print timestamp, string -d device instance name to snoop (eg, dad0) -f filename full pathname of file to snoop -m mount_point mountpoint for filesystem to snoop EXAMPLES
Default output, print I/O summary every 1 second, # iopattern Print 10 second samples, # iopattern 10 Print 12 x 5 second samples, # iopattern 5 12 Snoop events on the root filesystem only, # iopattern -m / FIELDS
%RAN percentage of events of a random nature %SEQ percentage of events of a sequential nature COUNT number of I/O events MIN minimum I/O event size MAX maximum I/O event size AVG average I/O event size KR total kilobytes read during sample KW total kilobytes written during sample DEVICE device name MOUNT mount point FILE filename (basename) for I/O operation TIME timestamp, string IDEA
Ryan Matteson DOCUMENTATION
See the DTraceToolkit for further documentation under the Docs directory. The DTraceToolkit docs may include full worked examples with ver- bose descriptions explaining the output. EXIT
iopattern will run forever until Ctrl-C is hit, or the specified count is reached. AUTHOR
Brendan Gregg [Sydney, Australia] SEE ALSO
iosnoop(1M), iotop(1M), dtrace(1M) version 0.70 Jul 25, 2005 iopattern(1m)