Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How does this sed expression to remove non-alpha characters work? Post 302836633 by RavinderSingh13 on Wednesday 24th of July 2013 12:38:45 PM
Old 07-24-2013
Could you please post your input code as well your expected output so that we can help you more on same.

Thanks,
R. Singh

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: How do I remove leading non alpha characters

Hi, Sorry for silly question, but I'm trying to write a perl script to operate a log file that is in following format: (4)ab=1234/(10)bc=abcdef9876/cd=0.... The number in the brackets is the lenghts of the field, "/" is the field separator. Brackets are not leading every field. What I'm... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Juha
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed replace characters not equal to an expression

Hi all, Suppose I have a file with the contents below, and I only want to print words %S_ then | sort -u. ------------------------------ The %S_MSG that starts with '%.*s' is too long. Maximum length is %d. The %S_MSG name '%.*s' contains more than the maximum number of prefixes. The... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: poldo
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep or sed. How to remove certain characters

Here is my problem. I have a list of phone numbers that I want to use only the last 4 digits as PINs for something I am working on. I have all the numbers in a file but now I want to be removed all items EXCEPT the last 4 digits. I have seen sed commands and some grep commands but I am... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sucio
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

non alpha characters in sed + making it fast?

hello, I'm trying to write the fastest sed command possible (large files will be processed) to replace RICH with NICK in a file which looks like this (below) if the occurance of RICH is uppercase, replace with uppercase if it's lowercase, replace with lowercase SOMTHING_RICH_SOMTHING <- replace... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rich@ardz
10 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed command to remove characters help!

I am trying to analyse a large file of sequencing data, example of first 10 lines below, @HWUSI-EAS656_0044_FC:7:1:2447:1039#GCAATT/1 GNCTATGGCTTGCCGGGCTCAGGGAAGACAATCATAGCCATGAAAATCATGGAAAAGATCAGAAAAACATTTCAA +HWUSI-EAS656_0044_FC:7:1:2447:1039#GCAATT/1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Adeleh
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed or trim to remove non alphanumeric and alpha characters?

Hi All, I am new to Unix and trying to run some scripting on a linux box. I am trying to remove the non alphanumeric characters and alpha characters from the following line. <measResults>883250 869.898 86432.4 809875.22 804609 60023 59715 </measResults> Desired output is: 883250... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jackma
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove the Characters '[' and ']' with Sed

Hi, I am new to Sed and would like to know if it is possible to remove the characters . I have a couple of files with a keyword and would like to remove the substring. I am Using sed s/// but Its not working Thanks for your Support Andrew Borg (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: andrewborg
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed remove expression from output I'm watching

I'm watching a particular expression as it is appended in a line to a file: tail -f LOG | sed -n /"$@"/p So whatever value I pass into this script will tail -f the file, but only show me lines that contain the value: lgwatch expression However some of the output contains a #20 control... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: MaindotC
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl regular expression to remove the special characters

I had a string in perl script as below. Tue Augáá7 03:54:12 2012 Now I need to replace the special character with space. After removing the special chaacters Tue Aug 7 03:54:12 2012 Could anyone please help me here for writing the regular expression? Thanks in advance.. Regards, GS (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: giridhar276
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed: -e expression #1, char 2: extra characters after command

Greetings.. getting the error while execution of the script, correct where i am missing #!/bin/bash DATE=`date +%Y-%m-%d:::%H:%M` HOSTNAME=`hostname` TXT="/log/temp.txt" LOGPATH="/log1/commanlogs/" IP=`/sbin/ifconfig | grep -i inet| head -n1| awk '{print $2}'| awk -F : '{print $2}'`... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: manju98458
7 Replies
post(3FORM)															       post(3FORM)

NAME
post - write or erase forms from associated subwindows SYNOPSIS
#include <form.h> int post_form(FORM *form); int unpost_form(FORM *form); DESCRIPTION
The function post_form displays a form to its associated subwindow. To trigger physical display of the subwindow, use refresh or some equivalent curses routine (the implicit doupdate triggered by an curses input request will do). The function unpost_form erases form from its associated subwindow. RETURN VALUE
These routines return one of the following: E_OK The routine succeeded. E_BAD_ARGUMENT Routine detected an incorrect or out-of-range argument. E_BAD_STATE Routine was called from an initialization or termination function. E_NOT_POSTED The form has not been posted. E_NOT_CONNECTED No items are connected to the form. E_NO_ROOM Form is too large for its window. E_POSTED The form has already been posted. E_SYSTEM_ERROR System error occurred (see errno). SEE ALSO
ncurses(3NCURSES), form(3FORM). NOTES
The header file <form.h> automatically includes the header file <curses.h>. PORTABILITY
These routines emulate the System V forms library. They were not supported on Version 7 or BSD versions. AUTHORS
Juergen Pfeifer. Manual pages and adaptation for new curses by Eric S. Raymond. post(3FORM)