Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Answers to Frequently Asked Questions Meaning of /etc/redhat-release Post 302836595 by Corona688 on Wednesday 24th of July 2013 11:37:17 AM
Old 07-24-2013
It's just a code name/internal name for that version, sort of like Apple has "OSX Lion" and the like.
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux Benchmarks

Dual Xeon 2.6, RedHat EL 4 ES, up to latest release version. 2.6.9 kernel

============================================================== BYTE UNIX Benchmarks (Version 3.11) System -- Linux linux.hhc.ac.uk 2.6.9-11.ELsmp #1 SMP Fri May 20 18:26:27 EDT 2005 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux Start Benchmark Run: Wed Jul 6 15:06:07 BST 2005 1 interactive users.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Garp
2 Replies

2. Red Hat

redhat-release examples

I have a script that checks the redhat-release file to determine what security patch needs to be applied. Since there's a Red Hat 5 now, I need a redhat-release file from the various platforms (Desktop, Enteprise Workstation, and Enterprise Server) so I can build a proper search string. Also, it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: BOFH
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what the meaning of #*

can some one please tell the meaning of the second statement i.e n=${m#*=} i couldnt get the meaning of the #*= 1.) m="mohit=/c/main/issue" echo $m result ----------- mohit=/c/main/issue 2.) n=${m#*=} echo $n RESULT ------- /c/main/issue (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: narang.mohit
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

meaning of !*

can someone please tell what !* means in shell syntax. Regards, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: busyboy
3 Replies

5. Red Hat

/etc/redhat-release meaning

Fairly new to RedHat. Can someone tell me what the version that I am working on. cat /etc/rehdat-release shows Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.4 Beta (Tikanga) I would think that this is RedHat 5 update 4. I don't know how what Beta and (Tikanga) means. Is this truly beta code? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jj1dv
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

Patch analysis tool Redhat Enterprise release 4

Hello I have been asked to provide a security patch analysis of servers in my environment. For HPUX and Solaris there are tools wich can be loaded onto the servers to do this. However I do not know of one for Redhat . At this point I must mentioned that the Redhat servers are behind a firewall... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dmsmith32
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

meaning of <<!

Hi all, I wanna know the meaning of the last word "<<! " sudo su - user <<! please help on this !!!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudharson
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sort command results are different in Redhat 4 vs Redhat 5

Hi, I am having a text file with the following contents ########### File1 ########### some page1.txt text page.txt When I sort this file on Red Hat 5, then I get the following output ########### File1 ########### page1.txt page.txt some (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Meaning

Please let me know the meaning for the below statements in shell scripting. 1) exit -99 -------------------------------- 2) set prgdir = `pwd` set runFlag = runFlag:FALSE ------------------------------------- 3) if (-f $prgdir/maillst.eml) then set distEmail = `cat $prgdir/maillst.eml`... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lg123
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Meaning of $1^

Hello everyone, I'm looking for the meaning of this expression, as I don't understand it quite clearly : $1^ What do you think it could be? I thought either: - match lines starting with argument 1 but it should be ^$1 - turn line around : word becomes drow Thanks in advance for your... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bibelo
4 Replies
Package::Pkg(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					 Package::Pkg(3pm)

NAME
Package::Pkg - Handy package munging utilities VERSION
version 0.0020 SYNOPSIS
First, import a new keyword: "pkg" use Package::Pkg; Package name formation: pkg->name( 'Xy', 'A' ) # Xy::A pkg->name( $object, qw/ Cfg / ); # (ref $object)::Cfg Subroutine installation: pkg->install( sub { ... } => 'MyPackage::myfunction' ); # myfunction in MyPackage is now useable MyPackage->myfunction( ... ); Subroutine exporting: package MyPackage; use Package::Pkg; sub this { ... } # Setup an exporter (literally sub import { ... }) for # MyPackage, exporting 'this' and 'that' pkg->export( that => sub { ... }, 'this' ); package main; use MyPackage; this( ... ); that( ... ); DESCRIPTION
Package::Pkg is a collection of useful, miscellaneous package-munging utilities. Functionality is accessed via the imported "pkg" keyword, although you can also invoke functions directly from the package ("Package::Pkg") USAGE
pkg->install( ... ) Install a subroutine, similar to Sub::Install This method takes a number of parameters and also has a two- and three-argument form (see below) # Install an anonymous subroutine as Banana::magic pkg->install( code => sub { ... } , as => 'Banana::magic' ) pkg->install( code => sub { ... } , into => 'Banana::magic' ) # Bzzzt! Throws an error! # Install the subroutine Apple::xyzzy as Banana::magic pkg->install( code => 'Apple::xyzzy', as => 'Banana::magic' ) pkg->install( code => 'Apple::xyzzy', into => 'Banana', as => 'magic' ) pkg->install( from => 'Apple', code => 'xyzzy', as => 'Banana::magic' ) pkg->install( from => 'Apple', code => 'xyzzy', into => 'Banana', as => 'magic' ) # Install the subroutine Apple::xyzzy as Banana::xyzzy pkg->install( code => 'Apple::xyzzy', as => 'Banana::xyzzy' ) pkg->install( code => 'Apple::xyzzy', into => 'Banana' ) pkg->install( from => 'Apple', code => 'xyzzy', as => 'Banana::xyzzy' ) pkg->install( from => 'Apple', code => 'xyzzy', into => 'Banana' ) With implicit "from" (via "caller()") package Apple; sub xyzzy { ... } # Install the subroutine Apple::xyzzy as Banana::xyzzy pkg->install( code => 'xyzzy', as => 'Banana::xyzzy' ) # 'from' is implicitly 'Apple' pkg->install( code => &xyzzy, as => 'Banana::xyzzy' ) Acceptable parameters are: code A subroutine reference, A package-with-name identifier, or The name of a subroutine in the calling package from (optional) A package identifier If :code is an identifier, then :from is the package where the subroutine can be found If :code is an identifier and :from is not given, then :from is assumed to be the calling package (via caller()) as The name of the subroutine to install as. Can be a simple name (when paired with :into) or a full package-with-name into (optional) A package identifier If :as is given, then the full name of the installed subroutine is (:into)::(:as) If :as is not given and we can derive a simple name from :code (It is a package-with-name identifier), then :as will be the name identifier part of :code pkg->install( $code => $as ) This is the two-argument form of subroutine installation Install $code subroutine as $as pkg->install( sub { ... } => 'Banana::xyzzy' ) pkg->install( 'Scalar::Util::blessed' => 'Banana::xyzzy' ) pkg->install( 'Scalar::Util::blessed' => 'Banana::' ) pkg->install( sub { ... } => 'Banana::' ) # Bzzzt! Throws an error! $code should be: o A CODE reference sub { ... } o A package-with-name identifier Scalar::Util::blessed o The name of a subroutine in the calling package sub xyzzy { ... } pkg->install( 'xyzzy' => ... ) $as should be: o A package-with-name identifier Acme::Xyzzy::magic o A package identifier (with a trailing ::) Acme::Xyzzy:: pkg->install( $code => $into, $as ) This is the three-argument form of subroutine installation pkg->install( sub { ... } => 'Banana', 'xyzzy' ) pkg->install( sub { ... } => 'Banana::', 'xyzzy' ) pkg->install( 'Scalar::Util::blessed' => 'Banana', 'xyzzy' ) pkg->install( 'Scalar::Util::blessed' => 'Banana::', 'xyzzy' ) $code can be the same as the two argument form $into should be: o A package identifier (trailing :: is optional) Acme::Xyzzy:: Acme::Xyzzy $as should be: o A name (the name of the subroutine) xyzzy magic $package = pkg->name( $part, [ $part, ..., $part ] ) Return a namespace composed by joining each $part with "::" Superfluous/redundant "::" are automatically cleaned up and stripped from the resulting $package If the first part leads with a "::", the the calling package will be prepended to $package pkg->name( 'Xy', 'A::', '::B' ) # Xy::A::B pkg->name( 'Xy', 'A::' ) # Xy::A:: { package Zy; pkg->name( '::', 'A::', '::B' ) # Zy::A::B pkg->name( '::Xy::A::B' ) # Zy::Xy::A::B } In addition, if any part is blessed, "name" will resolve that part to the package that the part makes reference to: my $object = bless {}, 'Xyzzy'; pkg->name( $object, qw/ Cfg / ); # Xyzzy::Cfg SEE ALSO
Sub::Install Sub::Exporter AUTHOR
Robert Krimen <robertkrimen@gmail.com> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
This software is copyright (c) 2012 by Robert Krimen. This is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as the Perl 5 programming language system itself. perl v5.14.2 2012-06-15 Package::Pkg(3pm)